• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 6:27 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1912 posts
1314 upvotes
Mississauga

Richmond Hill Water Meter Replacement

My parents just got a notice from Richmond Hill about water meter replacement and upgrade program. Anyone know if this meter upgrade is mandatory, or fine prints to be aware of?
31 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2053 posts
183 upvotes
York Region
OP Yes, they do that every 10-15 years or so, just go to the Tow of Richmond Hill site and do a search.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
I’m in RH and had it done a few months ago. Was very quick and painless.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1912 posts
1314 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks, just booked my appt.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5529 upvotes
Vaughan
I am in Maple for 17 years, still with original meter ever since. So far no request for upgrade yet. It has no problem.
tsatsa wrote: OP Yes, they do that every 10-15 years or so, just go to the Tow of Richmond Hill site and do a search.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1784 posts
1108 upvotes
I delayed and delayed, until I finally booked... it and it's pretty quick and painless...
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1912 posts
1314 upvotes
Mississauga
Gee wrote: You don’t own the water metre. You don’t have a choice.
There's always a choice. I can refuse them to enter my property :P
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
They don't have to enter your property - the street shutoff and the meter straddle the property line.

Might lean over into your property while doing it, but that's it.

Be grateful that you have notification of when it is being done. Some locations they just do it unannounced which is not so good if you are taking a shower at the time.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
macnut wrote: They don't have to enter your property - the street shutoff and the meter straddle the property line.

Might lean over into your property while doing it, but that's it.

Be grateful that you have notification of when it is being done. Some locations they just do it unannounced which is not so good if you are taking a shower at the time.
What are you talking about? The meter is in your basement
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
^ Mea culpa. That's where mine is and I forgot previous homes where it was in the crawl space.

Must avoid assuming we are all the same across this great land.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
macnut wrote: ^ Mea culpa. That's where mine is and I forgot previous homes where it was in the crawl space.

Must avoid assuming we are all the same across this great land.
A little bit of a temperature difference compared to Ontario
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Red_Army wrote: What are you talking about? The meter is in your basement
I actually thought he meant that they could turn him off.

Growing up in the country the gas metre was 10-20 feet off the road while the house was 150-200 feet off the road. Water shut off was in same spot.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
Gee wrote: Sure, and they can refuse to supply you water.
... and probably charge you a disconnection fee, then a subsequent reconnection fee.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Aug 16, 2007
944 posts
136 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Do they replace the shutoff valve? I have one after the meter but it’s one of those old type ones
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
Askari wrote: Do they replace the shutoff valve? I have one after the meter but it’s one of those old type ones
No, (unless you live in Halton) you own the shutoff valve before the meter and any after
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1912 posts
1314 upvotes
Mississauga
For those that upgraded their water meter, have you noticed any difference in your water bills? Was talking to a friend who lives in RH and said their water bill sky rocket after changing their meter.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
jdu0ng wrote: For those that upgraded their water meter, have you noticed any difference in your water bills? Was talking to a friend who lives in RH and said their water bill sky rocket after changing their meter.
Usually if there’s a drastic change it has to do with the old meter being faulty , or sheer coincidence

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)