Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

RIDGID tools @ Home Depot "Lifetime Service Warranty"

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2005 9:34 am
Tags:
None
Feb 6, 2003
951 posts
30 upvotes

[Home Depot] Re: RIDGID tools @ Home Depot "Lifetime Service Warranty"

"On an introductory basis, a limited lifetime service warranty is being offered on all RIDGID handheld corded and cordless, bench and stationary power tool purchases made between Sept. 1, 2003, and Dec. 31, 2003. The warranty includes lifetime free service on batteries, brushes, chucks, cords, switches and normal wear items. In order to redeem the warranty customers only need to bring their receipt and tool to their local service center authorized to repair RIDGID power tools. RIDGID professional power tools also carry a 90-day satisfaction guarantee and a three-year warranty."

Who needs extended warranty, when it comes with a Lifetime warranty. Battery packs cost me around $70 bucks each and now they'll supply them for life and I usually go through 2 battery packs a year. I asked the tool person and they said to just bring it back with the receipt and Home Depot will take care of it, 1 year, 3 years, 10 years, etc. from the purchase date. :D I hope Dewalt will match this soon, so that I can finish my tool collection.

I picked up their larger kit (4 piece combo kit for $699), includes reciprocating saw, circular saw, hammer drill, flash light, and a twin 30 min. charger.

Get in soon, as this offer ends Dec. 31, 2003.

:( Note to self, must resist buying every deal that comes along or rent bigger place and take out a loan.

Full Story on Yahoo Biz & RIDGID website: Yahoo BIZ: RIDGID & Home Depot RIDGID
18 replies
Jul 10, 2003
787 posts
684 upvotes
Toronto
Excellent post, I am looking for a cordless drill for a christmas present and this could be it! But the only thing I'm wary of is that the warranty is called "limetime service warranty" which I think means that they will only service the product and not replace it. For example, when the battery fails to hold a charge, they will try to fix it (I don't think it can be fixed) and then tell you to buy a new one.

Does anyone have any clear info here?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4274 posts
299 upvotes
Hamilton
wow, more info would be appreciated. If the battery is covered then it's easily worth it...
Feb 6, 2003
951 posts
30 upvotes
From my understanding:

If the battery is no longer functioning / holding charge, return it to Home Depot with proof of purchase (receipt) and they'll handle the rest.

They proudly advertised the warranty in their "The Great Tool Trade-In Event" flyer. Does anyone still have the flyer? If yes, can someone please scan in the part on warranty and post it.

I've been using the tools for a couple of days and it's comparable to my Dewalt power tools. Price & warranty will be the determining factor between the two brands for me.
Feb 11, 2003
139 posts
Wow... this seems too good to be true... I wonder what the guideline is for determining a faulty battery... maybe that's where they'll screw you... but my experience has been good with Home Depot... I think that they will stand up to their promise... great post
May 26, 2003
161 posts
3 upvotes
Home Depot sucks when it comes to warranty's.

At least in my area. I bought my drill and it stopped working 1 week after I purchased it. I then brought it to Home Depot to get a replacement thinking it is a straight exchange and they hassle me saying I can't return or exchange it. However they would send it off to be repaired. I reluctantly agreed, and had them send it to be repaired. 6 weeks later they say I need to bring in my adapter to recharge the drill. THey lost my adapter when they had taken the drill out of the box. They said they would get me a new adapter and so they got a new box, too it out and said they would send the new adapter to the repair company. I said why don't they just give me a whole new set, they can't sell the new drill without the missing adapter. They insisted it was policy. I even had to argue to get the box, warranty paper, and instruction manual. They asked me what do I need the box for and I said they lost my box and so they should replace that too. It is 2 months now and I am still waiting for the drill that only costs $35.00
Nov 26, 2002
642 posts
81 upvotes
Originally posted by yabadaba@Nov 9 2003, 02:39 PM

At least in my area. I bought my drill and it stopped working 1 week after I purchased it.
I don't understand why at this point you didn't demand a replacement drill or returned it. they do have a 30 day return policy at Home Depot do they not. If sonething I bought anywhere broke within 1 week I would not stand for servicing. Doesn't make sense to me.
May 26, 2003
161 posts
3 upvotes
Originally posted by hempopotamus+Nov 9 2003, 12:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hempopotamus @ Nov 9 2003, 12:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--yabadaba@Nov 9 2003, 02:39 PM

At least in my area.&nbsp; I bought my drill and it stopped working 1 week after I purchased it.
I don't understand why at this point you didn't demand a replacement drill or returned it. they do have a 30 day return policy at Home Depot do they not. If sonething I bought anywhere broke within 1 week I would not stand for servicing. Doesn't make sense to me. [/b][/quote]
That's what I wanted a replacement drill, but they refused saying it does not apply to power tools. I tried to convince them and kept saying that it says so on a sticker on the counter, and also that the receipt doesn't say anything about exempting power tools. I didn't want to cause a scene then, but wish I did now.
Feb 6, 2003
951 posts
30 upvotes
Originally posted by yabadaba+Nov 9 2003, 11:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yabadaba @ Nov 9 2003, 11:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
I don't understand why at this point you didn't demand a replacement drill or returned it. they do have a 30 day return policy at Home Depot do they not. If sonething I bought anywhere broke within 1 week I would not stand for servicing. Doesn't make sense to me.
That's what I wanted a replacement drill, but they refused saying it does not apply to power tools. I tried to convince them and kept saying that it says so on a sticker on the counter, and also that the receipt doesn't say anything about exempting power tools. I didn't want to cause a scene then, but wish I did now. [/b][/quote]
This is when I would talk to the general manager for the store.

I haven't had a problem exchanging power tools at Home Depot. As long as it's withing the 30 day period. Let's say that I purchase a power tool and it's defectice out of the box; there's no way I'm going to wait 6 weeks to get it repaired and there's no way I would buy another one for use during this period.

I think you were just had a bad experience with a newbie at the store. :wacko:

I need my tools for a living and I would not put up with such non-sense.

If all fails, call Home Depot's corporate office 1-800 number and have the issue esculated.

Here's a link to Home Depot's Return Policy: HomeDepot.ca Return Policy for Online / In Store Purchases
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Just as long as "lifetime" isn't interpreted like PNY does... :D
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Nov 16, 2001
67 posts
50 upvotes
Sweet deal Z, went to my home depot and there is none left in Winnipeg&#33;&#33; The store sold 5 of the 4 packs in one day and there is now a waiting list.

Thanks for the great deal, now I'm waiting for my tools to arrive.

Chris
Feb 6, 2003
951 posts
30 upvotes
For all those who PM me, inquiring on how I like my tools.

I think they're great so far. I can't complain and my co-workers have also borrowed them and they're happy with their performance as well. 2 thumbs up for 4 piece battery powered kit&#33;

I've probably put my tools to more of a test in the last couple of weeks than the average person.

They're definitely comparable to Dewalt. Dewalt has new competition. Hopefully they'll lower their prices, but with lifetime warranty; I won't be looking a buying new tools for a while. :)
Oct 2, 2003
29 posts
Grey-Bruce
Wow, sweet. I'm in for a set of these. Free batteries for life? I don't know how they can do that. Has anyone read the fine print on the warranty to get the details on this?

I've got a Dewalt XRP hammerdrill, and it's awesome, but I've put a couple of batteries in it already. I've likely paid the price of the drill again in batteries.

On another note, supposedly if you don't drain the battery right dead (which I usually do) they will last a lot longer.
--
Guiness
Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...
Nov 10, 2003
284 posts
1 upvote
I work at a Home Depot. And all I can say is good luck finding these tools. Most stores only got one shippment of it and are still waiting for more. I was told hopefully 2-4 weeks but I'm not holding my breath.

The trick is not to loose you receipt. Since this promo is only on until the end of Dec all purchases after that have a 3 year warrenty(not sure how long on the batts then though) no receipt=no lifetime warrenty.

This is not an HD warrenty but the manufacturer. Since they are new to doing contractor grade construction tools they did this to create some excitement for them. But I sometimes wonder if the shortages are on purpose ;)

This is not an exchange for a new tool when yours conks out too, it will be sent out for repair.

At my store pretty much anything under 30 days with reciept and you'd get a new tool, so I don't think the person at the store knew what (s)he was doing.
Oct 2, 2003
29 posts
Grey-Bruce
Thanks for the reply lordzod,

I don't expect the tool to be replaced, but you can't repair batteries. So I would think that when the battery conks out, it would be replaced new.

Yes, I'll keep the receipt - I'll photocopy and laminate the sucker&#33;

I tend to agree with you that they're purposely limiting supplies though. If contractors got their hands on these, they'd lose their shirts&#33;
--
Guiness
Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...
Oct 17, 2003
34 posts
1 upvote
I also work for HD, and I think we got 5 of these kits in, and they all sold within 30 minutes of hitting the floor. One contractor bought them all. As for the lifetime warranty, I'm not sure the batteries are covered, but they may just be. Rigid power tools were manufactured for HD by the Emerson Specialy Tool company, which was bought out by Ryobi. I know that Ryobi is not known for it's excellent customer service, but they're getting better. I can assure you now, if you haven't found on of these deals by now, you won't, we waited for weeks to get the things in to begin with, and the manufacturer isn't stupid when it comes to lifetime warranty deals either. Put 2 and 2 together on that one. ;)
Oct 17, 2003
69 posts
18 upvotes
Originally posted by guiness@Nov 11 2003, 04:25 PM
Wow, sweet. I'm in for a set of these. Free batteries for life? I don't know how they can do that. Has anyone read the fine print on the warranty to get the details on this?

I've got a Dewalt XRP hammerdrill, and it's awesome, but I've put a couple of batteries in it already. I've likely paid the price of the drill again in batteries.

On another note, supposedly if you don't drain the battery right dead (which I usually do) they will last a lot longer.
I found that the administrator of Ridgid's form indeed says that batteries are covered....

http://www.ridgid.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb ... 8;t=000025

I was at Home Depot today, and the tool guy said that they are extending this offer until January 31, possibly because of stock shortfalls.

I bought the 3 piece, as all the 4 piece were gone. The guy offered to put me on a waiting list, but he said that there already was 8 people on it, and couldn't guarantee me that the items would be in before the offer was up.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
1180 posts
104 upvotes
Digging up an old thread as the lifetime warranty on the Rigid tools is still in effect at HD. There is a coupon to send in or you can just register on-line. It states specifically that the batteries are covered under the warranty so this would be an uber hot deal for people that want battery operated power tools
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2003
4062 posts
28 upvotes
superdave wrote:Digging up an old thread as the lifetime warranty on the Rigid tools is still in effect at HD....

Er... ok. Thx for the reminder for everyone.
/* My Heatware */ #define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111)) ...really weird C code to count the number of bits in a word Hacking RAID in XP Support Net Neutrality Canada

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)