Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Ring.com

Ring Video Doorbell Pro - Refurb - $99.99USD (additional 20% off with Teachers, Student, Military or Seniors Discount)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2020 11:55 am
Apr 22, 2017
197 posts
170 upvotes
Manitoba
runeash wrote: Do this run on batteries or electric hook up is required
The Pro is hardwired
┻━┻︵ \(°□°)/ ︵ ┻━┻
Sep 11, 2007
417 posts
331 upvotes
TDot
I just purchased a new house and looking to set up a security system. I like the Google Nest Hello, and want to have the Google ecosystem, but it's STILL, annoyingly, not available in Canada. Any ideas when this is going to come?

As such, and given this really good deal on the Ring Pro, this might force my hand to go in the direction of the Ring Ecosystem
Sep 28, 2020
3 posts
1 upvote
The thing about the Ring Pro though is that it has a small battery inside anyway, and that battery can cause problems in the same way as the other models (temperature, getting old). This battery is also very difficult to replace. I moved the doorbell to a new house and didn't install it right away, and ended up needing to let the battery charge for like 12 hours before it would function, even when connected directly to power. The Ring Pro also requires an adapter to be installed in the bell itself, and it requires a specific voltage range from the doorbell transformer to function. I tried installing it in an old house, and the transformer wasn't nearly strong enough so the Pro would shut off every time you pressed the button.

I bought the Ring 2 with the battery and it worked right off the bat, just a quick swap with the original button. Still 1080p and the same functions. I definitely recommend it for ease of installation, especially for an older house with a lower voltage transformer.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2228 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP

DerekK912 wrote: One note about the Ring Video Doorbell Pro, if you have a mechanical doorbell, there is a 2-3 second delay between the button press on the Ring and the chime going off. This is apparently due to the fact that it doesn't have a battery and is powered directly from your existing doorbell wiring, so it only redirects power to the mechanical doorbell after it processes the button press and sends out notifications. The advantage is that is smaller than the regular Ring Doorbell, and there is no battery to charge/replace. I find it annoying but I've learned to live with it.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doo ... td-p/11905

Thank you for this
May 22, 2012
834 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Are refurbished items covered by the lifetime warranty with the protection plan?
Nov 23, 2006
543 posts
326 upvotes
Ontario
Nguygie wrote: Purchased this last month when it was on sale on Ring.com but at $119 refurbished with extra 20% health care professional discount ($96 usd). So at $80 usd this is an amazing deal. Can confirm that there is no duties or taxes (shipped to Ontario). Also received free 1 year trial of protect plus subscription which was automatically applied to my account upon installation (which was a surprise to me - YMMV?)
This is what I was wondering about the free trial - I heard they give you one month (or 1 year? good on you!) but I wasn't sure when it would start. I want to buy this but don't get my new place until February when I would set it up. So confirmed the trial doesn't start until you install?

Also, what kind of warranty do you get on the item? Is it at least 1 year, and with Ring Protect Plus does it extend to lifetime? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4243 posts
3944 upvotes
East GTA
runeash wrote: Do this run on batteries or electric hook up is required
Albuca wrote: The Pro is hardwired
It is hard-wired but does have an internal battery. Once that battery fails, your device is dead. I would only get a refurbished unit if you have the higher tier Ring Protect plan that covers free replacement of devices.
Dec 6, 2012
35 posts
28 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I've had a Ring device for a few years and can honestly say its the biggest piece of crap I've owned. The live feed works 30% of the time and never when you need it to. Amazon just blames your wifi which is complete BS. Then you have the privacy aspect of it but that's a whole different topic.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38230 posts
24408 upvotes
Center of Universe
btsats wrote: I've had a Ring device for a few years and can honestly say its the biggest piece of crap I've owned. The live feed works 30% of the time and never when you need it to. Amazon just blames your wifi which is complete BS. Then you have the privacy aspect of it but that's a whole different topic.
It's either your WiFi signal or an underpowered transformer.
I have the Ring Pro and Floodlight and never had any major issues.
Sep 11, 2007
417 posts
331 upvotes
TDot
Someone have an extra student or senior's discount code they are willing to share? Pretty please?
Oct 14, 2001
351 posts
22 upvotes
Oakville
Does anyone know if this is v2 or v3 of the Pro?
Sep 8, 2002
299 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Me neither. Never any issues with Ring. Mine is hardwired.
Maybe the guy got a lemon or some local installation issue.

My wyze cam sometimes need to be rebooted and reset. It occasionally doesn’t detect the SD card after it works for a while. Could be the brand of SD card.

But my Ring doorbell has been remarkably stable. Same for their alarm system.
Jun 15, 2008
827 posts
215 upvotes
Markham
iambored wrote: Me neither. Never any issues with Ring. Mine is hardwired.
Maybe the guy got a lemon or some local installation issue.

My wyze cam sometimes need to be rebooted and reset. It occasionally doesn’t detect the SD card after it works for a while. Could be the brand of SD card.

But my Ring doorbell has been remarkably stable. Same for their alarm system.
im looking to buy the alarm system does that require a subscription?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7836 posts
8532 upvotes
Vancouver
I've had a Ring doorbell for a couple of years, and I recently supplemented it with a Wyze cam monitoring the front door as well. I paid Ring $40/yr for the first few years for recording, and then I figured that I might was well spend that $40 on a Wyze cam and stop paying Ring just to store recordings.

My original doorbell transformer and wiring worked fine to power the Ring doorbell, because it's the battery-supplemented model. WiFi was a problem - our house has stucco walls that have the embedded wire mesh grid making them an effective WiFi blocker. I contacted Ring about poor WiFi connection, and they sent me a free Ring Chime Pro that acts as a dedicated WiFi repeater. That helped, and I didn't have any more WiFi problems. But the response time is highly variable - I sometimes have 4 devices connected for doorbell notifications that are within earshot, and I can hear the Ring notifications trickle in over 5 - 30 seconds. Once you add in the doorbell's own latency in reporting to Ring, and the time it takes you to grab your phone, launch the Ring app, and connect - you are likely to see an empty doorstep or the back of a person walking away unless they are patient. That's why recording is important, why Ring can charge a high subscription fee for it, and why it's an annoying necessity to pay that fee.

With the Wyze cam I get motion event notifications with a 12-sec video clip recorded to their cloud for free, and with a microSD card in the camera I get continuous recording or full motion event recording from before the start until after the end. Using IFTTT I can even get the Wyze cam to record a clip when triggered by the Ring doorbell. But it kind of makes me question whether the Ring doorbell is a good idea or not. Why not just go with the Wyze cam? If you adjust the camera position and motion detection correctly, you can probably detect motion at the doorstep reliably with few false alarms. There's no need to additionally be notified of the doorbell ring. And the Wyze cam does have 2-way voice and live video as well.

But I just did a quick test, and the Ring notification arrived within 5 seconds, while the Wyze notification (with video clip link attached) took 25 seconds.
Last edited by Scote64 on Sep 29th, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3833 posts
1095 upvotes
GTA
I've used RIng and Hello.

Ring Original - never had any issue for 2+ years.
Ring Pro - 1st unit worked for < 1 year, and it'd just lose the power after a few hours. I power down the doorbell and restart, then it works for another a few hours. I changed the transformer a few times, it's just the same. I contacted Ring several times and tried everything they suggested. Finally they admitted that it's most likely the unit is defective, and they sent me a brand-new replacement. That one didn't have any issue for 2 years.

Hello - No issue so far, but too new to expect any. been using since last January.

Ring Pro vs Nest Hello
- Ring doesn't work at all with Google/Nest Home or Google Assistant, and Hello doesn't work with Alexa or Echo.
- I liked that Ring automatically opens the full live-view screen on my phone when someone rings the doorbell.
Hello does that on Nest devices with screen, but on the phone it just sends notification. It sends with a screenshot, though, which is good enough.
- Subscription fee is much more affordable with Ring - USD$3/month or USD$30/year for 1 device. USD$10/month or USD$100/year for all services at one location, including Ring Alarm professional monitoring.
Nest subscription fee is much higher, but it can provide 24/7 recording rather than event recording only.
- Ring sells separate chime products, and I think Amazon Echos can be used as chimes too, I haven't tried.
If you have any Google/Nest Home products like Home Mini or Lenovo Smart Clock, they announce when someone rings the doorbell. Usually they just say 'Someone is at the door'. If it's someone with a recognized face, it'd say the name I saved for that face. (e.g. 'Dad' is at the door)
- I like Ring Pro design better than Nest Hello, with its more modern and smaller form factor, along with 4 swappable faceplates.
- It's very easy to share Ring's recordings, just like sharing a youtube clip. With Nest, (not sure about event recording subscription plan), if I have 24/7 recording for the last x days, it's a pain to simply share a 15-30 second video clip. From your phone, when you tap on 'create clip', it just automatically creates a 1-minute video clip, but you should access home.nest.com separately to be able to see and share the clip.
- Ring's app interface is much better, you can rearrange the multiple devices. With Nest, it's sorted in alphabetical order, so if you have 'Back Door' and 'Front Door' devices, Back Door always stays at top. If you have 'Back Door' 'Basement' 'Bedroom 1' 'Bedroom 2', your 'Front Door' doorbell will always stay at bottom of the list, meaning you will have to scroll all the way down everytime you want to see front door from the app.
- With Ring, you can simply send 'invite' to their account emails if you want them to be shared users. With Nest, people in your Google's Family are automatically added as users. Note that any Google account under age of 13 cannot access, though.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
2041 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
how do you get 20% for students?
Apr 5, 2010
373 posts
253 upvotes
Kursor17 wrote: Does the Ring Doorbell Elite with PoE have delays?
I don't have one so I cannot confirm, but because the Ring Doorbell Elite gets it's power from a PoE connection, it shouldn't have any delay.
Aug 30, 2013
799 posts
967 upvotes
Tyger wrote: Darn, Ring Floodlight isn't further reduced. At least the additional auto 10% for being a Ring Protect customer works on the refurb Flood Light.
Check out the Costco floodlight thread . $199 with chime pro.
Jan 24, 2013
359 posts
179 upvotes
Ontario
xmanofsteel69 wrote: This is what I was wondering about the free trial - I heard they give you one month (or 1 year? good on you!) but I wasn't sure when it would start. I want to buy this but don't get my new place until February when I would set it up. So confirmed the trial doesn't start until you install?

Also, what kind of warranty do you get on the item? Is it at least 1 year, and with Ring Protect Plus does it extend to lifetime? Thanks!
Yes the Trial Ring Protect Plus doesn't start until you install / activate it.

Not sure about the refurbished warranty and whether the device is covered as long as you are subscribed to Protect Plus. I always plan on subscribing though as I have 2 doorbells, alarm system, and 2 stick up cameras so the $100 usd/yr monitoring cost is worth it.