Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Ring

Ring Alarm Home Security System Kit $260 - $330 (Save $50-$90USD) - ships to CAD

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2020 11:00 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
doubleA wrote: Incorrect - Ring Cameras CAN be linked to your alarm...so whenever your alarm triggers the cameras can be set to automatically start recording as well as turn flood lights on. I have mine setup this way (I have the doorbell Pro + Floodlight Cam). Hope this helps.
Probably forgot to update his Ring app.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
1325 posts
429 upvotes
doubleA wrote: #1 is Incorrect - Ring Cameras CAN be linked to your alarm...so whenever your alarm triggers the cameras can be set to automatically start recording as well as turn flood lights on. I have mine setup this way (I have the doorbell Pro + Floodlight Cam). Hope this helps.
Thanks I will edit my post with the clarification. However my main point still remain: the cameras cannot trigger the alarm itself.
+93___FalconR___________________________🫨
May 22, 2016
812 posts
1043 upvotes
If you have this starter kit, then you do not need the cameras to trigger the alarm, the motion sensors will.

I just bought the $339 bundle, and will keep the echo dot so I can seem the alarm with my voice. I may switch my Google home system for Alexa, seeing as how I already have the ecobee 3 lite.

Question though, I see Costco has the ring doorbell 2 with chime and one year cloud subscription.....I take it that this is not home monitoring. If I get the home monitoring with the ring alarm kit, will I also get the enhance video storage on the cloud or is that a seperate subscription?
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1531 posts
103 upvotes
SS76SS wrote: If you have this starter kit, then you do not need the cameras to trigger the alarm, the motion sensors will.

I just bought the $339 bundle, and will keep the echo dot so I can seem the alarm with my voice. I may switch my Google home system for Alexa, seeing as how I already have the ecobee 3 lite.

Question though, I see Costco has the ring doorbell 2 with chime and one year cloud subscription.....I take it that this is not home monitoring. If I get the home monitoring with the ring alarm kit, will I also get the enhance video storage on the cloud or is that a seperate subscription?
yes, if you purchase the Protect Pro plan you get home monitoring + cloud video storage ($100 USD/yr) for all your devices vs the basic plan which just gives you the cloud storage ($30 USD/yr) for 1 device.
https://shop.ring.com/pages/protect-plans
Jul 24, 2011
334 posts
86 upvotes
Bradford
FalconR wrote: Already have Ring Alarm but still trying to decide whether or not I should buy the protect plan. It's only $150 per year which makes it a no-brainer. However:

a) I'm usually close to home anyway so if my alarm goes off I will definitely be aware of the app notifications and can call the authorities myself

b) I haven't purchased their cameras (yet) so I don't need the video recording. I just got the cheap Wyze camera because I live in an apartment and don't want to spend $200+ on each camera. It basically does exactly the same things as Ring's. Also note two things that took a bit of sleuthing for me to confirm: 1) Ring cameras cannot trigger the alarm and 2) it only works with Wi-Fi/PoE and not cellular. This means motion and what not detected by the camera does NOT trip the alarm. And if your internet goes down it cannot use the cellular backup feature. Note from another user: If the Ring Alarm is tripped by the motion detector or contact sensors, it can tell your Ring cameras to start recording though.

Basically the only feature I need atm is cellular backup. Still worth $150/yr?

Also does anyone know who is the company monitoring the alarm system?

I had mine for a few weeks so I'll share my thoughts.

I originally wanted the Nest Secure but I finally grew tired of waiting for it to be officially launched/supported in Canada. There isn't even any news on when that would be either.

The Nest's motion and contact sensor is all one small, sleek device which I love. Their product seems to be a lot more premium, but there obviously is a price to pay for that.

I've grown to prefer Ring's decision to separate alarm, keypad and motion sensors. It's a bit more intuitive and if one feature malfunctions you don't have to replace the whole thing.

I'm quite impressed with how well Ring's motion and contact sensors work. It looks and feels kind of cheap but it just works. The entire system was also very easy to set up. Literally the hardest thing is mounting the devices either with adhesive tape or screws. I've also called Ring support once for a minor question and it was an English-speaking American in case anyone was curious.

Really not much more to say. It just works and it isn't expensive.

What is their price? The website isn't displaying it for me.

Just to add another data point. I purchased mine in-store at BB and the Echo Dot was listed at $0 so no refund possible.
HD sells this 8 part bundle for $320
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
2506 posts
1279 upvotes
ON
doubleA wrote: #1 is Incorrect - Ring Cameras CAN be linked to your alarm...so whenever your alarm triggers the cameras can be set to automatically start recording as well as turn flood lights on. I have mine setup this way (I have the doorbell Pro + Floodlight Cam). Hope this helps.
if your alarm gets triggered, what about the floodlight cam's siren, is it triggered?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1993 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
The Source has a promo online if you don’t need the Alexa.

$229.99 for the basic kit - PSP if you have GL memebership.

Cheers!
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
4012 posts
715 upvotes
doubleA wrote: yes, if you purchase the Protect Pro plan you get home monitoring + cloud video storage ($100 USD/yr) for all your devices vs the basic plan which just gives you the cloud storage ($30 USD/yr) for 1 device.
https://shop.ring.com/pages/protect-plans
You also get lifetime warranty on all your products if they are still in warranty when you sign up for the Protect Pro
May 22, 2016
812 posts
1043 upvotes
swales wrote: You also get lifetime warranty on all your products if they are still in warranty when you sign up for the Protect Pro
So you're telling me that the ring doorbell pro would be covered under this warranty if you have the protect pro? I was reading the other thread on the ring doorbell pro and people complaining about the internal battery failing after 1 1/2 years...... This would certainly mitigate that issue
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
2506 posts
1279 upvotes
ON
badass wrote: The Source has a promo online if you don’t need the Alexa.

$229.99 for the basic kit - PSP if you have GL memebership.

Cheers!
So... IF you have a membership, you can get the kit for $229.99+tax CAD... OR
You can get it right now @ ring.com for $159 USD, no tax, free delivery.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1993 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
Head to Thesource,

$229.00 minus your PSP discount of $6.90 --I think plus tax and free shipping

Should be $252.09 taxes and shipping included.

Cheers
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
thetipster wrote: So... IF you have a membership, you can get the kit for $229.99+tax CAD... OR
You can get it right now @ ring.com for $159 USD, no tax, free delivery.
PSP price is $223.09+taxes.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1993 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like BestBuy has followed Thesource pricing, also down to $229.99

Still saving of $6.90 plus tax with the PSP.

I guess the price match is over!

Getting rid of my old alarm system and replacing it with the Ring starter as I already have the Ring Pro working for over a year without any issues.

Cheers!
Last edited by badass on Feb 22nd, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

RFD priceless!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
I'd pay the extra $6.90 for an Echo Dot.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1993 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
I agree,

For $6.90 an extra Echo Dot is worth it, didn't see that Echo package

Might have to cancel my order!

Cheers

RFD priceless!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1159 posts
244 upvotes
SS76SS wrote: So you're telling me that the ring doorbell pro would be covered under this warranty if you have the protect pro? I was reading the other thread on the ring doorbell pro and people complaining about the internal battery failing after 1 1/2 years...... This would certainly mitigate that issue

So I guess people online show a battery inside the doorbell PRO. I had no idea. I have the protect pro plan. If you equipment is within warranty period from the 1st year of activation, the warranty will be extended.
It is hard to find a alarm monitoring (Insurance discount), video cloud storage for multiple camera + extended life time warranty that beats this. $150 or $100 usd

I wonder if they will honour the $100 usd a year. That is the price I signed up with. I have a hardwired spotlight camera pointing at my front door. Do I need a ring DOORBELL? isn't the spotlight camera replace a doorbell? beside the doorbell ring function.

https://shop.ring.com/pages/canada-protect-plans
Last edited by Demon_Twinz on Feb 22nd, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
feedback: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=657823
ebay feedback : demon_twinz
heatware ID: demon_twinz99
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
What a great system. I tore down my alarm and replace it with ring. $100 for monitoring and unlimited ring cloud for your ring devices. Also cellular backup.
Took me 30min to install and most of it was taking apart the old system and figuring out where I should mount the motion sensors.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Ah another IOT device. Make sure to setup 2FA/MFA if applicable on this device. Security concerns are a big thing these days for IOT devices, especially alarm systems. Just a heads up and food for thought. :)
Blanka
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Demon_Twinz wrote: ring pro is hardwired and does not have battery. The ring v1 and v2 doorbells have batteries. I have the protect pro plan. If you equipment is within warranty period from the 1st year of activation, the warranty will be extended.
It is hard to find a alarm monitoring (Insurance discount), video cloud storage for multiple camera + extended life time warranty that beats this. $150 or $100 usd

https://shop.ring.com/pages/canada-protect-plans
The Ring Pro has an internal battery.
The post from the below does raise some concerns.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit ... ed_re_its/
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
djemzine wrote: Ah another IOT device. Make sure to setup 2FA/MFA if applicable on this device. Security concerns are a big thing these days for IOT devices, especially alarm systems. Just a heads up and food for thought. :)
No 2FA/MFA.