• Nov 19th, 2020 11:31 pm
Tags:
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1072 posts
813 upvotes
Ottawa
I saw this today. It would represent a pretty big, but not all that surprising, consolidation.

Rogers has been investing quite a bit in Cogeco for years.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16205 posts
3567 upvotes
Toronto
Dynatos wrote: I saw this today. It would represent a pretty big, but not all that surprising, consolidation.

Rogers has been investing quite a bit in Cogeco for years.
Rogers is only 33% invested in the company currently.
If the deal goes ahead, they'll be able to own 100% of the company, terminating the Cogeco name and going 100% Rogers.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1072 posts
813 upvotes
Ottawa
playnicee1 wrote: Rogers is only 33% invested in the company currently.
If the deal goes ahead, they'll be able to own 100% of the company, terminating the Cogeco name and going 100% Rogers.
I'm aware, but 33% is a pretty big chunk for Rogers to invest in a competitor, particularly a competitor that got its start in broadband by buying assets/service territory from Rogers.

Rogers divested the regions, and since 2012 or so has been making moves to buy them back. Expansion by acquisition.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20245 posts
2898 upvotes
Niagara Falls
playnicee1 wrote: Merely the current offer. I don't doubt that if a new (sweetened) deal comes to be, they might give in...or not...
The family is NOT supporting the current deal... https://www.thestar.com/business/2020/0 ... ssets.html
Hopefully they figure something out, Cogeco is horribly behind the times. That's a lot of money, I don't care what age I was at I'd be all over that. I especially wouldn't want to be too invested in land locked Cable being such a small players when wireless technology just keeps getting better.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16205 posts
3567 upvotes
Toronto
Evil Baby wrote: I just hope Rogers southern Ontario gets forced in because sweet baby jebus, Cogeco is hot garbage.
There won't be anymore Cogeco...unless they choose to call it Rogers-Cogeco, lol, that is, if the deal goes ahead...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!