Shopping Discussion

ripoffs at Rexall: who's dumb enough to pay their exorbitant prices?!

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2020 7:26 pm
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Sep 26, 2011
361 posts
467 upvotes

ripoffs at Rexall: who's dumb enough to pay their exorbitant prices?!

typical Rexall ripoff.jpg
Saw this at Rexall. Pantene shampoo called out on the shelf with a "featured item" tag @ $9.49 each. Seriously? $9.49? The Zehrs flyer has the same product advertised on sale for $2.99 for PC Optimum members.
This certainly isn't the first time I've seen some items priced more than three times higher than competitive stores, but this one really stood out. My household hasn't bought anything at Rexall since they quit being an Air Miles partner, but every once in a while, I check whether their pricing has come back down to Earth, and obviously it hasn't. How does Rexall stay in business? :rolleyes:
71 replies
Jr. Member
Mar 22, 2013
166 posts
191 upvotes
BC
That's pharmacy grocery stores for you. Shoppers drug mart is another big offender.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2076 posts
738 upvotes
Edmonton
randyzive wrote: That's pharmacy grocery stores for you. Shoppers drug mart is another big offender.
London Drugs too. Funnily enough Shoppers has the most sane prices between the drugstores considering their frequent sales and PC Optimum rewards program.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4635 upvotes
Montréal
Just like how Sleep Country's still in business lol, and those big ISPs, who pays those crazy prices? So many more examples but I don't wanna break the internet haha.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 10, 2005
11076 posts
4331 upvotes
$9+ for junk shampoo littered with chemicals. People keep buying it and they keep making it. At least SDM has PC Optimum - great program.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
7343 posts
7784 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm sure I'm the same as many people - I *used* to go to Rexall occasionally for an Air Miles deal.. while there I might pick up a few other items.
Now - I have no interest in stepping foot in Rexall again.. no interest in joining their confusing loyalty program, having to keep track of points in yet another program.

Rexall are dead to me.

Ron.
100% Upvote to post ratio! :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
I always see these drugstores as convenience stores and only go there when I need something real quick
BTW Rexall even has the highest dispensing fee I've ever seen - $12.98
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2970 posts
1616 upvotes
B.C.
Terabithia wrote: I always see these drugstores as convenience stores and only go there when I need something real quick
BTW Rexall even has the highest dispensing fee I've ever seen - $12.98
Same here... Except for when they close so early!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
12352 posts
4858 upvotes
Toronto
I always tell my wife, if every shopper is like you and me. Many places we buy stuff from will go out of business.
There is always someone who go feed them with serious profit on each items they buy, except that we are not those ones. :)

The society needs to be balance, there is some people who are frugal and smart spending, some who doesn't. Those who doesn't, well. :D
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
canaduh wrote: typical Rexall ripoff.jpg

Saw this at Rexall. Pantene shampoo called out on the shelf with a "featured item" tag @ $9.49 each. Seriously? $9.49? The Zehrs flyer has the same product advertised on sale for $2.99 for PC Optimum members.
This certainly isn't the first time I've seen some items priced more than three times higher than competitive stores, but this one really stood out. My household hasn't bought anything at Rexall since they quit being an Air Miles partner, but every once in a while, I check whether their pricing has come back down to Earth, and obviously it hasn't. How does Rexall stay in business? :rolleyes:
$9.49 is a ripoff. Superstore usually sells this at $5.48. On a sale, it is usually $3.98.

London Drugs is not that bad. The same item sells for $5.99. There is a sale now at London Drugs, it sells for $4.99.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
lennyandcarl wrote: Same here... Except for when they close so early!
I just realized even their hours aren't the best compared to SDM (on Google Maps)

And ALL their Toronto locations have low ratings. So looks like the rich people aren't quite happy shopping there either

This should not be about Rexall bashing but I just don't seem to understand their business model :facepalm:
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2970 posts
1616 upvotes
B.C.
Terabithia wrote: I just realized even their hours aren't the best compared to SDM (on Google Maps)

And ALL their Toronto locations have low ratings. So looks like the rich people aren't quite happy shopping there either

This should not be about Rexall bashing but I just don't seem to understand their business model :facepalm:
I've tried to go to recall a couple of times for discounted gift cards. The nearest store is open 9-5 Mon-Sun. But that one is basically in an industrial area so I found one in a neighbourhood. It's CLOSED WEEKENDS. Seriously! How!?

The ones here are a lot closer to small independent pharmacies than mega-marts like SDM.
Sr. Member
Dec 26, 2008
948 posts
564 upvotes
I remember right after Covid came down, they charged 4.99 for a 2L bottle of Pepsi.
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote: I've tried to go to recall a couple of times for discounted gift cards. The nearest store is open 9-5 Mon-Sun. But that one is basically in an industrial area so I found one in a neighbourhood. It's CLOSED WEEKENDS. Seriously! How!?

The ones here are a lot closer to small independent pharmacies than mega-marts like SDM.
Depends on the store.

In BC, most closed at 10:00pm. Some do close at 6:30pm. Not sure why they closed early for those stores.
Moderator
May 28, 2012
11924 posts
4526 upvotes
Saskatoon
tablo13 wrote: London Drugs too. Funnily enough Shoppers has the most sane prices between the drugstores considering their frequent sales and PC Optimum rewards program.
At least London Drugs participates in price matching (although it's not as easy as other places).

I used to go to Rexall once a year or so for a small purchase to keep my Aeroplan accounts active. Now that I've given up on that program, I have absolutely no reason to shop there.
Member
User avatar
Jun 10, 2016
486 posts
366 upvotes
Brampton
I've found a ton of great deals at Rexall over the years - but only when I buy stuff that is on sale/clearance AND has a manager sticker on it. so something that is regular $9, on sale for 5.99 then has a $4 off sticker on it - I get it for $1.99 (or less). I've literally got stuff for free before when combining these methods. Agree with others - their full prices (and often even their sale prices) are horrendous. I am also not a fan of the new loyalty program and can't imagine them sticking around long with all the business they will lose from air miles fans.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20410 posts
8798 upvotes
Toronto
Even their clearance prices are a joke. Some are marked down $0, yes before and after sticker is the same price. They are even selling Samsung S4 cases for $5. Yes S4.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
21033 posts
5595 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I don't get it. Why complain about prices when you shop at those stores?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Member
User avatar
Jun 10, 2016
486 posts
366 upvotes
Brampton
carmaster wrote: Even their clearance prices are a joke. Some are marked down $0, yes before and after sticker is the same price. They are even selling Samsung S4 cases for $5. Yes S4.
I always laugh when I see this - funny to me that someone printed these off and hung it up not realizing (or caring) that it says something like "was 9.99 - now 9.99)"
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
16824 posts
32819 upvotes
Scarborough
newfbc wrote: I'm sure I'm the same as many people - I *used* to go to Rexall occasionally for an Air Miles deal.. while there I might pick up a few other items.
Now - I have no interest in stepping foot in Rexall again.. no interest in joining their confusing loyalty program, having to keep track of points in yet another program.

Rexall are dead to me.
The only times I ever went to Rexall was for an Air Miles promo or to use the post office. Now that there's no more Air Miles partnership, I'll probably rarely ever step foot into one.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]

Top