Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22147 posts
25993 upvotes
Toronto

The Rise and Fall of Planet Hollywood

Used to be one in Niagara Falls and Toronto

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a ... interview/
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
5 replies
Sep 14, 2012
823 posts
984 upvotes
Toronto
I have a rule. If a restaurant's main business appears to be selling souvenirs, t shirts and the like, avoid it.

Never got the popularity of these types of places.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16823 posts
3962 upvotes
Toronto
sprung wrote: Used to be one in Niagara Falls and Toronto

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a ... interview/
I remember when the one in Toronto used to have a vehicle that looked like a yellow taxi cab.
It drove around the city with a sign that read "Free rides to Planet Hollywood".
I have no idea why they did that when public transit used to get people there just fine.
I suppose if it parked at hotels there would be good incentive.
Here's the retired vehicle when it was parked on display in Niagara falls: (without the "free ride" sign)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1200 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Earl cuts the call short—he has a meeting for his son’s new venture, a restaurant in Los Angeles at the intersection of Hollywood and Vine. “For me, one of the interesting ends to the story is my son is now doing his version of it,” he says. “Arnold, Bruce, and Sly have been replaced by a series of new digital influencers with millions upon millions of followers.”
:rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9694 posts
3978 upvotes
I was there 1X. The company I was working for then rented it out for the night for the office xmas party. Imagine a barely-filled dark restaurant full of immobile, sky-high, saucer-eyed co-workers. I was too cheap to spring for a cab home & got chased by some weirdo on the subway, but someone from the ttc security team (dressed as homeless) drove me home because they were off their shift. "A night to remember."
Feb 18, 2018
26 posts
15 upvotes
I won a party there through Grand & Toy for me and 50 friends back in the 90s at the Vancouver location. Free food and drinks and raffle prizes. Only time I ever ate there lol.