[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1928 posts
694 upvotes
Kitchener

Risks with buying used Tesla

Hey,
I’m thinking of buying a 2020 or 2019 model 3. What re some risks fo buying a used Tesla? I’ve heard that Tesla may shut off some features if your the not original owner etc.
46 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
5205 posts
4319 upvotes
Ottawa
peelhic wrote: Hey,
I’m thinking of buying a 2020 or 2019 model 3. What re some risks fo buying a used Tesla? I’ve heard that Tesla may shut off some features if your the not original owner etc.
No real risks that I can think of outside of the usual risks with used cars. Batteries hold up very well after usual initial degradation. Check for the usual fit and finish issues (make sure previous owner address on delivery). Not sure where you heard that tbh but not really the case.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16007 posts
13928 upvotes
Richmond Hill
booblehead wrote: Rear bumper may fly off Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
LOL yup true for the first year these were out. It's ok though. Tesla has since upgraded to flying glass roofs!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
5205 posts
4319 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote: LOL yup true for the first year these were out. It's ok though. Tesla has since upgraded to flying glass roofs!!!
OTA update upgrades are awesome!!
Sep 21, 2004
10682 posts
5150 upvotes
Calgary
There was only one instance of feature being taken away (original owner never bought AP but Tesla included it, car is auctioned off with AP listed, Tesla realized original owner didn't buy so disabled AP, new owner is furious understandably, this became news and Tesla reinstated AP).

Otherwise, used Model 3 are hot sellers. I checked Auto Ttaders today and there is one Model 3 for sale in Calgary and only 3 within Alberta.

If the used price remains elevated, it may not be a bad idea to buy a brand new one considering the 2021 SR+ still qualifies for $5k Federal rebate and comes with numerous upgrades.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28814 posts
9308 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Rear bumper may fly off Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Never ceases to amaze me how Tesla almost completely escapes any build quality concerns in the eyes of their fans. Yet they are super simplistically built, still fall apart, and somehow these are still bestest cars evar :rolleyes:

I mean if the eBay-quality dealer-installed-with-3M-tape spoiler they got going on isn't an indication of the kind of shenanigans they engage in when building cars, then other parts falling off all over the place should be. It's carbon fibre but it's exactly what you'd expect from buying a CF edge spoiler off eBay--poor fitment and double-sided tape to secure. It's not what you'd expect as an OEM part. It's been a consistent design philosophy at Tesla to build a bucket of bolts of a car and then sell at a high price. Granted there's a lot of electric and battery tech going on there, but that's what you're really paying for. The rest of the car is just a bare-bones cheap shell with a barely-existent interior. YouTube generation thinks having a huge tablet as the sole interface is oh-so-awesome and cool, but they don't realise it's just oh-so-cheap, hence why they used it. Not to mention tacky.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
1988 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
It's known as product brand that speaks to a number of other emotion evoking elements beyond quality. Combine that with a larger than life CEO and this beats larger car makers who not only make more cars annually but they also have have been making cars for years

The old adage that someone despite the free market can't start a new company and go against GM as been challenged.
ES_Revenge wrote: Never ceases to amaze me how Tesla almost completely escapes any build quality concerns in the eyes of their fans. Yet they are super simplistically built, still fall apart, and somehow these are still bestest cars evar :rolleyes:

I mean if the eBay-quality dealer-installed-with-3M-tape spoiler they got going on isn't an indication of the kind of shenanigans they engage in when building cars, then other parts falling off all over the place should be. It's carbon fibre but it's exactly what you'd expect from buying a CF edge spoiler off eBay--poor fitment and double-sided tape to secure. It's not what you'd expect as an OEM part. It's been a consistent design philosophy at Tesla to build a bucket of bolts of a car and then sell at a high price. Granted there's a lot of electric and battery tech going on there, but that's what you're really paying for. The rest of the car is just a bare-bones cheap shell with a barely-existent interior. YouTube generation thinks having a huge tablet as the sole interface is oh-so-awesome and cool, but they don't realise it's just oh-so-cheap, hence why they used it. Not to mention tacky.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28814 posts
9308 upvotes
CDNPatriot wrote: It's known as product brand that speaks to a number of other emotion evoking elements beyond quality.
LOL. The old emotional purchases, brought to you by adults who still think like teenagers I guess.

I'm all for competition though, so I really can't wait for the day mainstream carmakers come to their senses, collaborate, and put an end to Tesla's nonsense. OTOH they could do the old "can't beat 'em join 'em" crap where things like software-enabled-at-cost options become the norm :facepalm: Hopefully the market does not go in this nonsensical "emotional" direction because that's just bad for consumers no matter how happy they are to get ripped off.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16007 posts
13928 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL. The old emotional purchases, brought to you by adults who still think like teenagers I guess.

I'm all for competition though, so I really can't wait for the day mainstream carmakers come to their senses, collaborate, and put an end to Tesla's nonsense. OTOH they could do the old "can't beat 'em join 'em" crap where things like software-enabled-at-cost options become the norm :facepalm: Hopefully the market does not go in this nonsensical "emotional" direction because that's just bad for consumers no matter how happy they are to get ripped off.
Keep in mind. A lot of Tesla owners have never owned a ‘fast’ car or even something remotely performance oriented and that’s why you get so much of this “best” car ever nonsense. Not to mention most probably haven’t even driven a performance car and that’s what Tesla has done as far as acceleration is concerned. They are giving you super car performance at a cheap price. Fact is these cars are so blah once at speed due to the nature of how electric motors are.

They are great everyday cars, but will NEVER replace my 911.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2816 posts
1051 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: LOL yup true for the first year these were out. It's ok though. Tesla has since upgraded to flying glass roofs!!!
It’s the little known targa top option.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16007 posts
13928 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CensoredByRFD wrote: It’s the little known targa top option.
Ohhh do I smell a new update to the Model Y in a couple years? Lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
5205 posts
4319 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote: They are great everyday cars, but will NEVER replace my 911.
This just in - mid size family sedan is not designed to compete with a sports car. Further news at 11.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
5205 posts
4319 upvotes
Ottawa
As you've noticed from this thread, Tesla is the most polarizing brand out there and even has a dedicated hate thread on this forum as a result.

The haters will spout "bucket of bolts pieces of shit with a spartan interior and a tablet as an interface is hurrrr durrrr stupid" (generally from older crowd) the lovers will spout "robotaxis in two years" (the Musk can do no wrong crowd). Obviously the truth is somewhere in between, and finding unbiased opinions is like catching a fart in the wind.

If you want long range electric car with a robust vertically integrated charging network, there is no other choice unfortunately. They're great cars, the tablet interface works amazing but some simply won't line it (I'd never give it to my elderly mom to drive). Company leaves something to be desired at times, and are transitioning through a HUGE growth spurt with some negative consequences. Used is also hit and miss - they don't depriciate yet like most other cars, and you might be better off trying to get into a new SR+ as it does have some worthwhile new tech (heat pump etc).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5857 posts
2520 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
b166er1337 wrote: There was only one instance of feature being taken away (original owner never bought AP but Tesla included it, car is auctioned off with AP listed, Tesla realized original owner didn't buy so disabled AP, new owner is furious understandably, this became news and Tesla reinstated AP).
That's not exactly what happened... The original owner did pay $8000 for AP, but software upgrades are tied to the owner and can be removed at any time once the vehicle is under new ownership (if chosen by Tesla for a random audit).

If buying used directly from Tesla, probably not something you need to worry about. But if you're buying used from a third party, buyers can't assume any software upgrades the previous owner paid for will stick.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/23/tes ... used-cars/
[...]
The Model S had Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self Driving Capability options installed, which the original owner had paid a combined $8,000 for, as listed on the Monroney that Tesla gave the dealer.
[...]
Tesla ran an audit of the software in its vehicles, including the Model S now owned by the dealership, and removed Enhanced Autopilot.
[...]
Tesla customer support [...] told him, "Tesla has recently identified instances of customers being incorrectly configured for Autopilot versions that they did not pay for. Since, there was an audit done to correct these instances
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14664 posts
2336 upvotes
Toronto
I bought one 4 months ago. Works great. No complaints here.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16007 posts
13928 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Konowl wrote: This just in - mid size family sedan is not designed to compete with a sports car. Further news at 11.
But it's the best car evAr!!! No way can one ever go back to a dinosaur powered vehicle.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3125 posts
3065 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Konowl wrote: As you've noticed from this thread, Tesla is the most polarizing brand out there and even has a dedicated hate thread on this forum as a result.

The haters will spout "bucket of bolts pieces of shit with a spartan interior and a tablet as an interface is hurrrr durrrr stupid" (generally from older crowd) the lovers will spout "robotaxis in two years" (the Musk can do no wrong crowd). Obviously the truth is somewhere in between, and finding unbiased opinions is like catching a fart in the wind.

If you want long range electric car with a robust vertically integrated charging network, there is no other choice unfortunately. They're great cars, the tablet interface works amazing but some simply won't line it (I'd never give it to my elderly mom to drive). Company leaves something to be desired at times, and are transitioning through a HUGE growth spurt with some negative consequences. Used is also hit and miss - they don't depriciate yet like most other cars, and you might be better off trying to get into a new SR+ as it does have some worthwhile new tech (heat pump etc).
Agree completely. I love what they did to the world by proving electric cars as a viable mainstream alternative to ICE, but I don't think I'd ever want to own one. Fanatics seem to attract more fanatics, on both the for and against side of things. They hold their value quite well, so I'd probably try to buy new if I could, but it all depends on the particular car. The Model S seem to be a good value used and the battery life seems to age very well.

Personally I'm waiting for VW to iron out their bugs with the MEB platform and get their ID line up out the door... Tesla has a huge head start on the software/battery side of things, but they have a lot of room for improvement on the manufacturing and after-sale-support side of things.