RiverTV Beta is live!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2020 5:37 pm
Tags:
Jun 1, 2017
268 posts
159 upvotes
Mississauga
Im hoping this is because they are still populating the on demand area, but for instance, The Titan Games episode 2 aired 3 nights and i still dont see it available.......
Mar 6, 2013
710 posts
193 upvotes
projectman44 wrote: Im hoping this is because they are still populating the on demand area, but for instance, The Titan Games episode 2 aired 3 nights and i still dont see it available.......
You are right, we are feverishly ingesting, but limited by the speed at which we are getting the files. There are thousands and thousands of hours of backlog which we did not have on hand through VMedia TV which we are getting now(to VMedia as well) and there is just so much that can be transported from the various sources at a time. Please be patient should be well up the curve in a couple of weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8088 posts
2573 upvotes
Am I the only one who noticed the amount of VOD content has gone down since the beta started? There used to be several shows in History ( albeit with very limited season/episode qty ) and now there is only 3, with nothing in them? Is this just me, or everyone?

I would certainly give it a go for a bit @ $16.99 if I knew I could watch all the seasons of Vikings, Oak Island, and few others I am way behind on, but not just for the live broadcasts unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1047 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Georgeburger,

I was wondering if you could update the status of application for a samsung TV (tizen) to RiverTV. I have just rejoined VMedia internet but prefer not to purchase another device for TV services.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2015
1311 posts
201 upvotes
Peterborough
I really loved RvirTV but getting a ton of chanels from IPTV for $13 a month already does anyone know when they will be adding alot more channels to it? It will need alot more channels to get me to use it for $17 a month I love my live TV
Mar 6, 2013
710 posts
193 upvotes
ScottF391 wrote: I really loved RvirTV but getting a ton of chanels from IPTV for $13 a month already does anyone know when they will be adding alot more channels to it? It will need alot more channels to get me to use it for $17 a month I love my live TV
Scott391 I am afraid we will never be able to compete with pirate services. Free is always more competitive.
Mar 6, 2013
710 posts
193 upvotes
jesterwilly2004 wrote: Hi Georgeburger,

I was wondering if you could update the status of application for a samsung TV (tizen) to RiverTV. I have just rejoined VMedia internet but prefer not to purchase another device for TV services.
Hi Jesterwilly2004(good nick, could have been used in Full Metal Jacket), we are in the early stages of that, I would not be able to project earlier than 3 months.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4950 posts
4531 upvotes
GeorgeBurger wrote: Scott391 I am afraid we will never be able to compete with pirate services. Free is always more competitive.
See, I dissagree.

When Napster existed EVERYBODY was saying how it would kill the music industry.

It didn't. It did CHANGE the music industry.

You're average person doesn't want to pirate. But they also don't want to pay to much. They will pay what THEY feel is a fair price.

Apple was really the first one to figure this out. Sell a track for $1, and the people will come. And they did.

The market then pivoted to streaming.

These days, music piracy is FAR outweighed by legitimate streaming services.

Video is similar, until Netflix video piracy was gaining ground. People borrowed DVDs and copied them. Then Netflix (and others) had basically unlimited DVD rental by mail. They pivoted to streaming media, and well, the rest is history. The deluge of streaming options that you have to pay for is starting to open up the piracy window again, people don't want to pay for a streaming service just to watch one show, but the market will adjust. We'll get there.

LIVE TV is pretty much dead, EXCEPT for sports, where the providers still have a stranglehold. As more and more live sports get put into their own subscription box, the piracy window opens. Go to reddit and you can get any live sports stream you want (pre COVID of course). The market will adjust and the piracy window will start closing again.

IP TV is a stopgap. It exists because companies are so attached to advertising, it's hard to let go. More and more people are just cutting the cord completely, live content not having any worth to them anymore.

I haven't watched ANYTHING live, except for the SpaceX launches, in at least a year now.
Jan 8, 2015
675 posts
411 upvotes
repatch wrote: See, I dissagree.

When Napster existed EVERYBODY was saying how it would kill the music industry.

It didn't. It did CHANGE the music industry.

You're average person doesn't want to pirate. But they also don't want to pay to much. They will pay what THEY feel is a fair price.

Apple was really the first one to figure this out. Sell a track for $1, and the people will come. And they did.

The market then pivoted to streaming.

These days, music piracy is FAR outweighed by legitimate streaming services.

Video is similar, until Netflix video piracy was gaining ground. People borrowed DVDs and copied them. Then Netflix (and others) had basically unlimited DVD rental by mail. They pivoted to streaming media, and well, the rest is history. The deluge of streaming options that you have to pay for is starting to open up the piracy window again, people don't want to pay for a streaming service just to watch one show, but the market will adjust. We'll get there.

LIVE TV is pretty much dead, EXCEPT for sports, where the providers still have a stranglehold. As more and more live sports get put into their own subscription box, the piracy window opens. Go to reddit and you can get any live sports stream you want (pre COVID of course). The market will adjust and the piracy window will start closing again.

IP TV is a stopgap. It exists because companies are so attached to advertising, it's hard to let go. More and more people are just cutting the cord completely, live content not having any worth to them anymore.

I haven't watched ANYTHING live, except for the SpaceX launches, in at least a year now.
You realize VMedia is at the mercy of Rogers, Bell and Shaw who have vertical integration going on. There's nothing they can do except complain to the CRTC. Vertical integration is allowing american greed to seep into Canada. Rogers, Bell and Corus(Shaw family runs this) will pay whatever they have to, to American companies to buy rights to sports/movies/TV shows since they can just keep increasing the price of internet and mobile services to cover costs. The Americans know this. It's so freaking bad. Americans are getting what they want. Rogers, Bell, and Shaw are getting their cut. And we're the ones left paying for it.

If you think you're not paying for TV services even if you don't subscribe to TV services, think again! We're all paying for it whether we have TV services or not. What a joke of a country we live in where we allow this to happen.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4950 posts
4531 upvotes
Quickman wrote: You realize VMedia is at the mercy of Rogers, Bell and Shaw who have vertical integration going on. There's nothing they can do except complain to the CRTC. Vertical integration is allowing american greed to seep into Canada. Rogers, Bell and Corus(Shaw family runs this) will pay whatever they have to, to American companies to buy rights to sports/movies/TV shows since they can just keep increasing the price of internet and mobile services to cover costs. The Americans know this. It's so freaking bad. Americans are getting what they want. Rogers, Bell, and Shaw are getting their cut. And we're the ones left paying for it.

If you think you're not paying for TV services even if you don't subscribe to TV services, think again! We're all paying for it whether we have TV services or not. What a joke of a country we live in where we allow this to happen.
Wow, then maybe you should move to another country?

Fundamentally the price of service is what matters, and if you want a SHOCK, look at how much american's are charged for cable/sat TV these days. Compare the prices down there 10 year ago vs today. It will floor you.

Ya, it's expensive here, no doubt. My family in Europe gets most of their TV for free through satellite. Almost every channel most people want is available. They subscribe to just one channel, and that's simply because they are kinda forced to (no, not the UK). But the fact is, if you don't want to pay, then don't.

Honestly, MOST of my 'TV' watching these days is the local news (could get OTA if I wanted to), and Youtube. I get Youtube premium as part of my single google play music subscription (because they screwed up billing a few months ago), so I don't see commercials there. I find these days YouTube is pretty much all I want to watch.
Jan 8, 2015
675 posts
411 upvotes
repatch wrote: But the fact is, if you don't want to pay, then don't.
As I said in my previous post. I am paying. You're paying. It doesn't matter if we're subscribed to TV services or not. We're all paying!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7384 posts
1581 upvotes
Mont-Royal
All I care is for them to show Colorado Avalanche games, the rests can be disregarded.
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Jan 22, 2010
24 posts
28 upvotes
Hi GeorgeBurger,

I apologize if this has already been asked, I have been checking this forum, but I don't really want to read through 38 pages if I can help it.

Do you know when you expect to have Android Mobile (Or Kodi if that is ever going to come) options available? I signed up for the trial because I saw Android, but missed the TV part (Android TV), I was hoping to be able to cast it. I was just wondering if you had a timeline in mind (again apologies if you likely have already answered this).

Thanks!