• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2020 10:17 am
[OP]
Sep 12, 2004
267 posts
105 upvotes
Burnaby

RMA shucked WD Mybook in Canada

Has anyone had luck with this? Reddit discussion seems inconclusive. Some people say they've had luck, others say they got their drive back.

Curious to hear your stories.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3056 posts
1068 upvotes
Ottawa
I haven't had experience in that, but out of curiosity
, are you asking those that out the drive back into the enclosure, or those that RMA'd just the bare drive without the enclosure?
[OP]
Sep 12, 2004
267 posts
105 upvotes
Burnaby
I have heard some people who removed the drives from enclosures simply mailed back the bare drives; others have said they put it back into the original enclosure (if they kept it). In both cases, I'm curious to know the success rate in getting it RMA'd.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8335 posts
2132 upvotes
Mississauga
alym wrote: I have heard some people who removed the drives from enclosures simply mailed back the bare drives; others have said they put it back into the original enclosure (if they kept it). In both cases, I'm curious to know the success rate in getting it RMA'd.
Try it and let us know.
[OP]
Sep 12, 2004
267 posts
105 upvotes
Burnaby
Cross fingers for me!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
alym wrote: mailed back the bare drives
I'm not even mad. That's amazing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8746 posts
1679 upvotes
If you are fortunate they're going to be sending you refurbished drives anyways. So make sure you have a backup strategy, which you should always have.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
[OP]
Sep 12, 2004
267 posts
105 upvotes
Burnaby
Mine are in a synology, shr2. I don't mind a refurb, so long as it works.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16094 posts
4585 upvotes
Markham
I think is better to put back in the original casing to RMA

if they give you problem, maybe tell them it wasn't working and you took drive out to try to recover data or something
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4338 posts
3783 upvotes
Toronto
If you still have the enclosure, then IMHO, it's worth the extra few minutes to put it back in so they can't use the shucking as an excuse to deny you the warranty. I'm pretty sure somewhere on that small warranty booklet/card is a sentence that the warranty is void if the device is "modified", etc. Why take the chance if you don't have to?

If you're wondering because you don't have the enclosure anymore, than-- at most--you'll be out what you paid for shipping if they deny you the warranty claim.
[OP]
Sep 12, 2004
267 posts
105 upvotes
Burnaby
Yeah, I stupidly kept one enclosure for this specific situation, but didn't realize at the time that they too had a matching S/N.

So my options at this point are:
1) return shucked drive bare (protected well, but bare)
2) shove drive in an enclosure with unmatched serial number

I'll probably do 1) so in case the other drive does, I still have the matching enclosure.

Fingers crossed.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2115 posts
2060 upvotes
Langley
I don't see how sending bare drive would work.
S/N on the bare drive doesn't match SN on the enclosure.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2666 posts
1393 upvotes
London
alym wrote: Yeah, I stupidly kept one enclosure for this specific situation, but didn't realize at the time that they too had a matching S/N.

So my options at this point are:
1) return shucked drive bare (protected well, but bare)
2) shove drive in an enclosure with unmatched serial number

I'll probably do 1) so in case the other drive does, I still have the matching enclosure.

Fingers crossed.
i actually had this issue once before and sent the drives in and they send me back replacement in enclosures again. also if u hold out till Tuesday u can use the canada post free ship tueday promo so u wont have to pay for the shipping. canada-post-ship-package-free-within-ca ... s-2313622/
[OP]
Sep 12, 2004
267 posts
105 upvotes
Burnaby
You're a legend. Totally forgot about this! Thank you :)
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
3691 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver
aaron158 wrote: i actually had this issue once before and sent the drives in and they send me back replacement in enclosures again. also if u hold out till Tuesday u can use the canada post free ship tueday promo so u wont have to pay for the shipping. canada-post-ship-package-free-within-ca ... s-2313622/
Wow, I think you had a nice rep/tech. Surely, I thought by shucking your drive, wd would deny any warranty claim?