Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 5, 2012
501 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto

Road Force Balance and Tire Rotation

So after you get a Road Force balancing, will rotating the tires, putting the front wheels in the rear and vice versa, make the Road Force balance useless?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2282 posts
781 upvotes
No. They remove the wheel off the car and balance the wheel on it's own. It doesn't matter where it's put back on. Wherever you put it, it doesn't change the fact that the wheel is still balanced.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2012
501 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
Zephyr22b wrote: No. They remove the wheel off the car and balance the wheel on it's own. It doesn't matter where it's put back on. Wherever you put it, it doesn't change the fact that the wheel is still balanced.
That's what I thought. But the guy at simplytire told me otherwise. The wheels that I wanted to be in the front, they installed it in the back. So I came back and ask to put it in front. The guy said that road force chooses which wheel is best to be put in front that's why they put the wheel in front. And if they install it in the rear the balance will be useless and the money I paid for balancing is wasted.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2282 posts
781 upvotes
Well, I was probably wrong and what they said is probably all true as a means to show how accurate the machine is, but is the difference really that significant to say the balance would be "useless"?
[OP]
Nov 5, 2012
501 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
I really have no idea. But I'm pretty sure we all do tire rotation right? So to think that rotating my tires would mess up road force wheel balance I'm kinda not sure about it. I tried to search about this but couldn't find anything. But if what the guy said is true, it means I have to do another wheel balancing if I decide to rotate my tires.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13371 posts
8341 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Let technology pick what's best for us.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15436 posts
4604 upvotes
London
Not all wheels/tires are perfectly balanced or round., even after roadforce

Roadforce lets you know which pair of the tires are the worst so you know to put those on the rear
. The best pair goes on the front

99% of the time, it doesn't matter for rotation. After a while in use, normal tire wear throws thing off anyway
[OP]
Nov 5, 2012
501 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Not all wheels/tires are perfectly balanced or round., even after roadforce

Roadforce lets you know which pair of the tires are the worst so you know to put those on the rear
. The best pair goes on the front

99% of the time, it doesn't matter for rotation. After a while in use, normal tire wear throws thing off anyway
Ok that makes sense. But just by visual inspection though the tires in front are the bald ones. And the rear wheels have the better tires. I guess that doesn't matter I will change it to winter tires anyway.
Apr 14, 2009
166 posts
16 upvotes
Vaughan
The machine is not only capable of road force but force match. Force matching tells you the exact location on the vehicle to put the tire.
Feb 24, 2013
359 posts
51 upvotes
Ontario
Road Force balancing puts a load on the tire. 1200 lbs, from what I'm reading. Unless your front and rear tires were done with different loads because you have very uneven front/rear weight distribution, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to rotate the tires.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2012
501 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
Ok so straighten this out, I can put my rear tires to the front and front to the back. That won't make my wheel balance useless. That's what I wanted to make sure. Thanks guys!
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15436 posts
4604 upvotes
London
99% of time, you can rotate fine. If you notice a new problem, just rotate back

Some performance cars are very sensitive to imbalances, especially with non stock wider/bigger/heavier aftermarket rim/tire combos. Most of these types of cars use different tire sizes front/back so you can't rotate anyway
Feb 24, 2013
359 posts
51 upvotes
Ontario
Yeah, I can't see where this method of balancing makes any difference front or rear. The guy at simplytire may have been thinking of on-car wheel balancing, where the hub and brake rotor or drum also enter into it, as well as which of several positions the wheel is mounted on the studs. Even that doesn't really matter unless the other parts are out of balance in the first place.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5434 posts
2994 upvotes
Toronto
yuan23 wrote: Ok that makes sense. But just by visual inspection though the tires in front are the bald ones. And the rear wheels have the better tires. I guess that doesn't matter I will change it to winter tires anyway.
Why would you bother to balance almost bald tires?

Either way, I'd keep the bald tires on the front, with the weight of the engine it will help with traction.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A