• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2020 2:19 pm
[OP]
Sep 16, 2009
161 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto

Road rage incident

My brother was involved in a road rage incident. He got hit by a car (no visible injury) and he lost his temper and caused a minor damage to the car. Police was called by the driver. Policeman assessed the situation and tried to get them to come to a mutually agreed settlement but my brother refused to pay for the damages. Driver threatened to sue my brother. Policeman said it will go to the detectives. My brother hasn't heard anything from the police or the detectives. It has been over a month. Policeman didn't leave any contact info. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any thoughts?
28 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 11, 2015
4939 posts
36295 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If anything, he should be afraid that you'd sue. Granted, he caused damage to the car after, but he hit him. Claim self defence against a machine? I never know how these courts work, but he could easily counter sue for hitting him, ruining him clothes, some rest from work after accident, whatever. Never watched the court shows for too long on small claims, but seems like it's something that can naturally happen when involved after getting hit. If he sues, assert him mentally and claim he was in pain and reacted against an undisciplined driver at the time of the accident due to... I think he'd be too afraid of a counter sue to sue though.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4746 posts
2240 upvotes
Was your brother a pedestrian at the time?
Or was he driving?
[OP]
Sep 16, 2009
161 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
stinastr wrote: If anything, he should be afraid that you'd sue. Granted, he caused damage to the car after, but he hit him. Claim self defence against a machine? I never know how these courts work, but he could easily counter sue for hitting him, ruining him clothes, some rest from work after accident, whatever. Never watched the court shows for too long on small claims, but seems like it's something that can naturally happen when involved after getting hit. If he sues, assert him mentally and claim he was in pain and reacted against an undisciplined driver at the time of the accident due to... I think he'd be too afraid of a counter sue to sue though.
Thank you. At the time, driver denied he hit him. it was a matter of he said/she said really. i'm a bit surprised the cop didn't leave any contact details. is that normal?
[OP]
Sep 16, 2009
161 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
motomondo wrote: Was your brother a pedestrian at the time?
Or was he driving?
pedestrian
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5744 posts
882 upvotes
Calgary
so why the police didn't give the driver a ticket?
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1026 posts
859 upvotes
Toronto, ON
A car hit your brother, then your brother hit the car? Is that what happened? Detectives don't got time for that.
Please respond
[OP]
Sep 16, 2009
161 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
mucat wrote: so why the police didn't give the driver a ticket?
Not sure. i guess the driver denied hitting him. There was visible injury to my brother.

cop also said to the both parties as far as he's concerned there's no case but he said he will file a report and it'll be with detective to determine the next steps.
[OP]
Sep 16, 2009
161 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
CardinalComb wrote: A car hit your brother, then your brother hit the car? Is that what happened?
Yes
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5744 posts
882 upvotes
Calgary
sooperG wrote: Not sure. i guess the driver denied hitting him. There was visible injury to my brother.

cop also said to the both parties as far as he's concerned there's no case but he said he will file a report and it'll be with detective to determine the next steps.
That's horrible. There should be a ticket to the driver (if at fault) when pedestrian was hit.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
3038 posts
19866 upvotes
Did you brother get the name of the officer at the scene of the accident? Request the occurrence report.

Did you brother go to the hospital/doctor to check out if there were resulting injuries? Any treatment plan? Has he had any treatment as a result of the injuries eg. physio etc.
[OP]
Sep 16, 2009
161 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Pardon wrote: Did you brother get the name of the officer at the scene of the accident? Request the occurrence report.

Did you brother go to the hospital/doctor to check out if there were resulting injuries? Any treatment plan? Has he had any treatment as a result of the injuries eg. physio etc.
No. He was pretty shaken by it. Wasn't thinking properly. He didn't have sever pain or anything so no visit to the hospital. The driver wanted to negotiate few hundred bucks for the damages to the car. But my brother refused to pay.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3598 posts
3773 upvotes
GTA
Does your brother and the driver even have any contact info for each other? If not then nothing will happen unless the detectives contact them.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2337 posts
921 upvotes
he could have said the damage was caused by the driver hitting him
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16984 posts
15588 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just great. Now we need body cams too.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
1072 posts
1672 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Your brother got hit by a car, unless he was j walking the driver should have been charged with careless driving.

I would pursue this by contacting the attending police department, hopefully with your name, time and place they are able to find some sort of documentation.

What if it wasn't your brother and was a little kid or elderly? Would have been a lot worse.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1343 posts
1048 upvotes
HAMILTON
what a ridiculous thread...... having to pull the info out of the OP and then truly does not make does not make sense.

As I got it, OP's brother got hit by a car and suffered no injuries. The brother then proceeded to assult either the driver or the car. The driver of the car called the cops who tried to get the " brother" to pay for the damages he caused to the car that hit him and he refused. Cop got tired of the nonsense and simply left saying was going to pass it to the detectives....

OP's brother has heard nothing since .................. so..............
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1343 posts
1048 upvotes
HAMILTON
what a ridiculous thread...... having to pull the info out of the OP and then truly does not make does not make sense.

As I got it, OP's brother got hit by a car and suffered no injuries. The brother then proceeded to assult either the driver or the car. The driver of the car called the cops who tried to get the " brother" to pay for the damages he caused to the car that hit him and he refused. Cop got tired of the nonsense and simply left saying was going to pass it to the detectives....

OP's brother has heard nothing since .................. so..............
Dec 15, 2017
143 posts
90 upvotes
See a doctor and get documented that you have lasting effects i.e. back pain, can’t concentrate because of stress, started to have insomnia etc. Get it written down. If sued then countersue. Damage to you will far exceed damage to the car. Zero chance it will reach the court and car’s insurer or driver himself will settle. Driver must be real moron to sue over a dented bumper after hitting pedestrian.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5236 posts
3573 upvotes
Toronto and London
You said no visible injuries in your first post and then said he sustained visible injuries?

Something doesn't add up.