Road Test - G License -No available slots

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2020 5:31 pm
Aug 12, 2017
45 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto

Road Test - G License -No available slots

I was trying to book a road test for my G license but couldn't find any available spots even till mid of next year.
Is there any way of booking it sooner?

TIA
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9924 posts
7087 upvotes
Mississauga
Try a different DriveTest centre. We have friends whose son did his G2 in Windsor because there was nothing available in Mississauga until the new year.

What a mess.
May 8, 2017
274 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
I tried almost every centre in Ontario but nothing before May 2021Disappointed But Relieved Face
Full Time Realtor
Aug 20, 2013
180 posts
55 upvotes
Hamilton
Try calling in - I was booking one for a friend yesterday and they suggested the only earliest date available was March 2021 (Oakville). I went ahead and told him to book it and while he was in the process, someone cancelled their booking (in real-time) and I was able to get a date in Dec for Burlington.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9924 posts
7087 upvotes
Mississauga
bigslim3215 wrote: Try calling in - I was booking one for a friend yesterday and they suggested the only earliest date available was March 2021 (Oakville). I went ahead and told him to book it and while he was in the process, someone cancelled their booking (in real-time) and I was able to get a date in Dec for Burlington.
Yes, this is another strategy as there are always cancellations. But it requires constantly checking the centre.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
Having a license is a privilege and not a right so be lucky you are getting an appointment in mid next year. As a privilege, there is no rush in getting a license.

But in reality, it is what it is as license testing was shut down for a lengthy period of time due to covid. After all, would like like to get in an enclosed space with someone who may be infected ???
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
Looks like a lock down from the ministry. Ghost covids.
Jun 11, 2019
327 posts
332 upvotes
North York, Toronto
luckystrike1 wrote: Having a license is a privilege and not a right so be lucky you are getting an appointment in mid next year. As a privilege, there is no rush in getting a license.

What a strange lecture to give out-loud.
Jul 29, 2019
909 posts
788 upvotes
luckystrike1 wrote: Having a license is a privilege and not a right so be lucky you are getting an appointment in mid next year. As a privilege, there is no rush in getting a license.

But in reality, it is what it is as license testing was shut down for a lengthy period of time due to covid. After all, would like like to get in an enclosed space with someone who may be infected ???
There is actually a rush. There is something called insurance which all drivers need to get if they are driving. For insurance purposes, you can only max out at 2 years for anything under a G level licence for the length of period you have the licence for. In order to start accumulating the years past 2 years, you need a full G licence.
Jul 9, 2016
194 posts
93 upvotes
Barrie
Definitely shop around for a less busy testing center. Even before covid I got in just over a month earlier in Orillia than i could in Barrie for my test
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
7736 posts
10770 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Seems pretty packed.

I saw a listing on FB marketplace requesting someone drive him to North Bay from Toronto for his drive test on December 11th. North Bay....
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
In Sept, I managed to grab Nov appointment by flipping few centre every 5 to 30mins. Then out of pure luck, got an appointment in Sept.

Probably faster to do this flipping centres instead of going for a 10 hr drive to north bay.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Don't they just keep giving you extension(s) up until your test date anyway? Not like you can't drive if you don't get the test? But that was a long time ago, dunno if the rules have changed. Even if they have you'd think with covid they'd have some temporary extensions going on?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
I don't know if it was a formal policy or not, but if you really wanted to you used to be able to go in on "standby"; basically waiting there until someone who has a scheduled appointment doesn't show up.
Apr 24, 2013
933 posts
730 upvotes
Waterloo

Actually it is the opposite of that :). It is a right ofc.

Insurance charging me at g2 level for several months before getting the chance to pass the exam and get my stupid insurance lowered.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
I have always and still do believe it is my right but the courts seem to disagree with me...
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1667 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
More bad news:

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/5936 ... down-level
TORONTO - The Ontario government is cancelling all in-vehicle road tests in regions in the Grey (Lockdown) level, effective November 23, 2020. This currently applies to all road tests in the City of Toronto and Peel Region, including the Brampton, Downsview, Etobicoke, Metro East, Mississauga and Port Union DriveTest centres. This action is being taken to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Road test cancellations will be without penalty and Toronto or Peel Region residents may not book a road test at a DriveTest centre in another region. The government has directed its driver testing services provider, DriveTest, to restrict residents in these regions from being able to take a road test at another DriveTest centre in a region with a lower COVID-19 level, effective November 30. If people living in a region in the Grey (Lockdown) level have booked a road test in a different region, it will need to be cancelled.

"We know that these measures will result in some people experiencing longer wait times for road tests," said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation. "However, these are unprecedented times and our number one priority is the health and safety of individuals, families and workers."

DriveTest centres in the Grey (Lockdown) level will be open for indoor services, such as knowledge tests, with capacity limits and COVID-19 preventative measures in place. DriveTest clients impacted by cancelled tests will receive a credit on the system and may rebook their tests when their region moves to a lower COVID-19 level.
Jun 11, 2019
327 posts
332 upvotes
North York, Toronto
luckystrike1 wrote: I have always and still do believe it is my right but the courts seem to disagree with me...
It's your God given right as a Canadian citizen to hold a driver's license. Provided - you pass an aptitude test, and the courts don't deem you a danger to other motorists.

I've never liked the phrase that a license is a privilege. Sounds like something a cop would say. I'd be very cautuous in giving the Gov't the "privilege" of deciding what you're entitled to.

Further, as a taxpayer, you can reasonably demand that the services necessary to fully license you are provided in a timely and accessible manner.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)