Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1097 posts
234 upvotes

Road Trip Edm to Chicago.

Hi Guys, planning a roadtrip for this weekend, I've never crossed the border on a car, but I've done road trips to various cities furthest probably Vancouver.

The obious thing I know is to bring passports, and declare anything you buy when coming back.

Will be leaving friday afternoon.

just seeking some advice like

Best route?
I just used Google maps looks like I'll be heading east, Saskatoon -> Regina-> Portal(border) -> Fargo -> Minniapolis -> Chicago

where to stop and sleep in the night hotel/motel hopefully somewhere in between

Taking my own car, anything special I need to do to cross the border with it?

How long do you spend at the border each way? is it ok to cross anytime?

Should I avoid tolls?
Was in us Last year and got dinged through a rental for not paying those, apperantly I used the express toll.

also any other advice is greatly appreciated.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
Middle of Canada / US is extremely boring and a barren wasteland - is there no way you can fly to Miinnesota or Chicago and start your road trip from there :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1097 posts
234 upvotes
coolspot wrote: Middle of Canada / US is extremely boring and a barren wasteland - is there no way you can fly to Miinnesota or Chicago and start your road trip from there :D
probably is boring, haha but fliying in not an option right now :)
Aug 7, 2007
136 posts
20 upvotes
Something to consider~ We had great success via USA I90; cross the border via Hwy 2 (Alberta-Montana). There's no speed limit in Montana & great, divided highways in USA. You can see rest areas & motels as you drive by the exits. Gas price is a little more favourable than in Canada, inspite of the currency exchange. The I90 goes all the way to Chicago & beyond !
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1097 posts
234 upvotes
wannadeal wrote: Something to consider~ We had great success via USA I90; cross the border via Hwy 2 (Alberta-Montana). There's no speed limit in Montana & great, divided highways in USA. You can see rest areas & motels as you drive by the exits. Gas price is a little more favourable than in Canada, inspite of the currency exchange. The I90 goes all the way to Chicago & beyond !
awesome, might consider this. Thanks! :cheesygri

using I90 changed estimate from 26 hrs to 32 hr hmmm
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16316 posts
5072 upvotes
London
Edit
I see you want a Fri 4pm departure

Day 1
Edmonton to Saskatoon 5 hrs
via Hwy16

Day 2
Saskatoon to Fargo 10.5 hrs
via Portal

Day 3
Fargo to Chicago 9.5 hrs
Via I94

Alternative

Day1
Edmonton to Regina 7.5 hrs

Day2
Regina to Minneapolis 11.5 hrs

Day3
Minneapolis to Chicago 6hrs

The limiting factor is leaving on Fri pm puts you into Regina at 11pm. This forces a second hotel night

If you leave really early Sat AM, you could do Edmonton - Winnipeg - Chicago 13 hrs driving each leg, however this is 16hrs+ elapsed time per day which is really high unless you are experienced at long haul driving.

I would recommend to spend the extra night via the first option which is about 10hrs driving per day
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1097 posts
234 upvotes
got a parking Ticket in Chicago, downtown. :confused:

any issues if I do not pay it?

I drove my own car with Alberta License plate, so no rental.