Travel

Road trip from Toronto to East (Quebec or Montreal)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 8:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1121 posts
491 upvotes
North York

Road trip from Toronto to East (Quebec or Montreal)

Hi there


I’m taking my family on road trip to get away for a few days this summer. Day 1 we plan on staying at Mont Tremblant and then Day 2 we were thinking of driving to Quebec City to see Château Frontenac, Citadelle etc.. OR go back west and stay in Montreal.

Would appreciate any suggestions for things to do or tips on what’s open in Quebec City? My kids are 7-11-13 and we are coming from Toronto
25 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2006
4993 posts
1685 upvotes
I'd be interested to hear if there are any issues crossing between the Ontario and Quebec borders.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22849 posts
21703 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Mulder and Scully wrote: I'd be interested to hear if there are any issues crossing between the Ontario and Quebec borders.
Border is OPEN.
No current issues.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22849 posts
21703 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
afshaikh wrote: Hi there


I’m taking my family on road trip to get away for a few days this summer. Day 1 we plan on staying at Mont Tremblant and then Day 2 we were thinking of driving to Quebec City to see Château Frontenac, Citadelle etc.. OR go back west and stay in Montreal.

Would appreciate any suggestions for things to do or tips on what’s open in Quebec City? My kids are 7-11-13 and we are coming from Toronto
Toronto to Mont Tremblant ... and the easiest way to do this is via Ottawa.

Travel time, about 6:00 Hours for around 600 Kms.

Mont T to Quebec City ... you prob want to do the north shore route (Autoroutes 15 - 640 - 40 )
Travel time, about 3:45 Hours for around 375 Kms

Quebec City is definitely worth more than a passing glance (actually all the cities on your list are)
Definitely wouldn’t make it a day trip / side trip from Mont T
We rarely go up to the Quebec City Region without staying 2 or 3 nights

Quebec City to Toronto, about 7:30 Hours travel time and around 800 Kms
Not a bad idea therefore to do a stop over in Montreal ... or maybe Kingston on the way back home, if you are looking for a multi night getaway

And for the record ...
Montreal is South (or slightly southeast of Mont T) not west
West of Mont T is Ottawa

* Although now I read your post again, you may have been referring to Montreal coming from QCity on a day trip out of Mont T
(And I’ve already given my thoughts on that idea )


In my mind a weekend getaway to Mont T DIFFERS GREATLY from all these other destinations
Mont T is outdoorsy ... a good place to kick back ... go on walks, bike rides, swim, golf etc
Not the same sort of weekend I would spend in Old Quebec or Montreal
With sightseeing, history & culture

FYI ... During Covid hard to know what’s OPEN vs Closed
And things can change rapidly
So best to check official websites for info closer to your travel dates
Sr. Member
Mar 8, 2004
777 posts
609 upvotes
Kanata
afshaikh wrote: Hi there


I’m taking my family on road trip to get away for a few days this summer. Day 1 we plan on staying at Mont Tremblant and then Day 2 we were thinking of driving to Quebec City to see Château Frontenac, Citadelle etc.. OR go back west and stay in Montreal.

Would appreciate any suggestions for things to do or tips on what’s open in Quebec City? My kids are 7-11-13 and we are coming from Toronto
How many days total?

You will arrive in Tremblant late afternoon best case.
Then leaving for Quebec or Montreal the next day? What time do you plan on leaving?
Then how many nights in Montreal or Quebec?

If this is a 2 night trip, more driving than doing anything unless you want to just go for a drive?
Jr. Member
Dec 14, 2011
124 posts
20 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Road trip? Are you insane? Please stay home!
Maybe wait a few years. We'll all get to travel again someday.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22849 posts
21703 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
lazycow9 wrote: Road trip? Are you insane? Please stay home!
Maybe wait a few years. We'll all get to travel again someday.
I hear what you are saying ...
Esp as you are an East Coaster, who has been fortunate to not be beset with as much Covid Craziness as folks have elsewhere in Canada

Don’t know about the GTA where the OP is from

But do know here in Eastern Ontario ... there’s certainly a big push on for people to have a Staycation this year within their own Region / Province

Mostly in hopes of locals finding a way to limit spread, as well as support the local economy & places where fellow residents work / own bizs

Doesn’t mean that i here in Eastern Ontario ain’t itching for a road trip too ... even right here in Canada

But ya, probably seeing “the sense” in not taking one either in the short term

We are strictly now just looking at Day Trips this Summer
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1121 posts
491 upvotes
North York
1 night in Mont Tremblant and leaving next afternoon for Quebec (4 hour drive) reaching late afternoon. Staying 1 night there and exploring a bit next day before driving home.

I realize it’s a lot of driving for 2 but want to limit travel and maximize time spent there. It’s a stretch even as a type this, but I may just spend Day 2 in Montreal so I’m a 3rd if way home instead of going Quebec.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1425 posts
640 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote: I'd be interested to hear if there are any issues crossing between the Ontario and Quebec borders.
I don't think any border restrictions are in place right now within Canada. some provinces are recommending or imposing a 14 day quarantines for out of towners however.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 23, 2011
2044 posts
1125 upvotes
Etobicoke
Not sure why you would stop into Tremblant for one night as opposed to drive straight to Quebec. I was at Tremblant last summer, really enjoyed it but what are you going to do in less than a day there?
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22849 posts
21703 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
afshaikh wrote: 1 night in Mont Tremblant and leaving next afternoon for Quebec (4 hour drive) reaching late afternoon. Staying 1 night there and exploring a bit next day before driving home.

I realize it’s a lot of driving for 2 but want to limit travel and maximize time spent there. It’s a stretch even as a type this, but I may just spend Day 2 in Montreal so I’m a 3rd if way home instead of going Quebec.
sherman51 wrote: Not sure why you would stop into Tremblant for one night as opposed to drive straight to Quebec. I was at Tremblant last summer, really enjoyed it but what are you going to do in less than a day there?
This

Your time for this getaway is far too short.

If all you have is 2 nights away from the GTA, then I would focus on just one destination ...Tremblant, Quebec City or Montreal.

And even then ... Toronto to and from Quebec City is a long hike ... 8 hours each way, shortest route being the TCan

That’s gonna eat up 16+ hours of your AWAKE time right there in the weekend. Either squeeze in another night or two ... or leave this Destination for another time. Cuz there’s a lot of worthwhile things to see & do in the area, that require some time.

(We live in Eastern Ontario, near the Quebec Border ... so the drive for me to Quebec. city, is about half what you are facing ... and yet I would NEVER plan to make the trip up there for just one night ... it’s too far for too little benefit. We rarely go for less than 3 nights. Cuz we enjoy the city and all it has to offer ... its kind of like going to Europe for the weekend ... but without the cost of airfare. It’s that vastly different from anywhere else here in North America )
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22849 posts
21703 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Clement wrote: I don't think any border restrictions are in place right now within Canada. some provinces are recommending or imposing a 14 day quarantines for out of towners however.
The Maritimes opened their borders about a week ago ... but ONLY TO FELLOW MARITIMERS as far as I know.

They were showing the line ups on the news @ The Confederation Bridge (both directions). And said that Police were checking papers for those entering PEI, as only those who were PERMANENT RESIDENTS of The Maritimes were allowed into PEI.

So ya ... in some places in Canada, there are still interprovincial (or territorial) travel restrictions still in place
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1121 posts
491 upvotes
North York
Yes good point.

We came to our senses and added an extra night and are leaving a day early to stay over in Montreal so we can go Mont Tremblant next morning.

Wednesday- drive Toronto to Montreal (stay night)
Thursday - Mont Tremblant (all day)
Friday- Quebec City (all day)
Saturday - Drive back to Toronto

3 nights 4 days.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22849 posts
21703 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
afshaikh wrote: Yes good point.

We came to our senses and added an extra night and are leaving a day early to stay over in Montreal so we can go Mont Tremblant next morning.

Wednesday- drive Toronto to Montreal (stay night)
Thursday - Mont Tremblant (all day)
Friday- Quebec City (all day)
Saturday - Drive back to Toronto

3 nights 4 days.
Lol, if I had that amount of time (essentially a long weekend)

I would spend IT ALL in Quebec City

Or split it QCity & Montreal.

I still think trying to do all 3 by adding in Mont T is a waste

I will definitely want to hear your thoughts after the trip
Sr. Member
Mar 8, 2004
777 posts
609 upvotes
Kanata
PointsHubby wrote: Lol, if I had that amount of time (essentially a long weekend)

I would spend IT ALL in Quebec City

Or split it QCity & Montreal.

I still think trying to do all 3 by adding in Mont T is a waste

I will definitely want to hear your thoughts after the trip
I agree. Too much driving. And every time you move hotels the finding, the checking in, the checking out. You'll spend half of each day just doing those 2 things.

I wouldn't even remotely consider doing this trip from Ottawa but to each their own.

I would do Quebec City only and spend 2 full days there. Not sure if it's open but Montmorency falls is there too.

If you want to push things on the last day, maybe make a stop in Montreal on the way home. It's 8 hours driving so depending on what your family is like on the road. I know some families stop frequently and that can turn into 11 or 12 hours.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2003
1585 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
afshaikh wrote: Yes good point.

We came to our senses and added an extra night and are leaving a day early to stay over in Montreal so we can go Mont Tremblant next morning.

Wednesday- drive Toronto to Montreal (stay night)
Thursday - Mont Tremblant (all day)
Friday- Quebec City (all day)
Saturday - Drive back to Toronto

3 nights 4 days.
Way too much driving in just 4 days and you will not get to see a whole lot. I have been to Mont Tremblant twice, Montreal about 10 times and Quebec city about 5 times from Toronto each time. I highly recommend you to spend at least one more day in Quebec City and 2 more days in Montreal.
United We stand Victory in our Hand!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 17, 2002
7658 posts
897 upvotes
Toronto
So basically this trip is to see Mont Tremblant and Quebec City? I don't see the point of going to Montreal just to spend an evening and morning before heading to Tremblant. Just go to Tremblant straight.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1121 posts
491 upvotes
North York
I do realize the trip is a lot of driving but we wanted to maximize our sight seeing in 4 days.

In a post covid world ideally we would spend 2 days at each place but since things are restricted and we aren’t going to another norms vacation this trip will have to do for what it is.

I do dread the driving, but sightseeing in short period of time will be fine for me. I’ve explored cities internationally during 12+ hour stop overs.

Thanks for all insights. Will report back upon return.
Sr. Member
Mar 8, 2004
777 posts
609 upvotes
Kanata
afshaikh wrote: I do realize the trip is a lot of driving but we wanted to maximize our sight seeing in 4 days.

In a post covid world ideally we would spend 2 days at each place but since things are restricted and we aren’t going to another norms vacation this trip will have to do for what it is.

I do dread the driving, but sightseeing in short period of time will be fine for me. I’ve explored cities internationally during 12+ hour stop overs.

Thanks for all insights. Will report back upon return.
To each their own but what everyone is saying is that you aren't going to do much sightseeing.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
18042 posts
12758 upvotes
Markham
OP is driving roughly 20hrs total over 3 days/4 nts (Google maps says 18hrs but you need to add stops for gas/restroom/food).

Primary issue with travel is the eating at restaurants is mostly take out. Consider either taking a big blanket/tarp/fold up chairs to eat in parks perhaps?! Bring cooker/ice packs to hold foods while moving between areas until meal times. Bring cutting board/ cutting sheets (roll it up and pack into backpack) and a good pocket knife for cheese, charcuterie meats, baguettes, fruits, pastries (best lunches and snacks are french style - which is why you should bring cooler/ice pack).
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)