• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 7:50 pm
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
691 posts
253 upvotes
Ontario

Roadside Assistance Options

My free roadside assistance has expired and I'm now considering CAA. Any pros/cons with CAA? Are there any better options? TIA.
19 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
11544 posts
2133 upvotes
Guelph
Free with Canadian Tire WE Mastercard and TD use to have it free with certain visa cards.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
squall458 wrote: Free with Canadian Tire WE Mastercard and TD use to have it free with certain visa cards.
I believe CT follows the vehocle not the driver.
CAA follows the card holder. Are you one vehicle and two people, or? Do you drive other vehicles regularly?

CT almost certainly would require you to be towed to CT.
May 28, 2016
346 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
KevinM56081 wrote: I believe CT follows the vehocle not the driver.
CAA follows the card holder. Are you one vehicle and two people, or? Do you drive other vehicles regularly?

CT almost certainly would require you to be towed to CT.
The Roadside Assistance included with CT WE Mastercard allows you to choose between a member plan (recommended) or vehicle plan.

The towing distance is 250 km per service call (up to 5/yr) to any destination of your choice, plus unlimited tows to any Canadian Tire auto centre.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
RFDNoob101 wrote: The Roadside Assistance included with CT WE Mastercard allows you to choose between a member plan (recommended) or vehicle plan.

The towing distance is 250 km per service call (up to 5/yr) to any destination of your choice, plus unlimited tows to any Canadian Tire auto centre.
Fair. My knowledge is related to my parents.... Who left CT and went caa again.
May 28, 2016
346 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
If you want peace of mind just go with CAA... who knows how long you'd have to wait for Canadian Tire to arrange a tow & then for it to actually arrive.
May 31, 2008
459 posts
798 upvotes
GTA area
I've never had a problem with CAA. I like how they cover the cardholder and not just the car like others might do. If you are considering others make sure to read the fine print because some ( I believe TD) have a towing distance of 250 km but will only tow to the nearest mechanic.. not anywhere you want. I think Canadian tire will only cover the car, so I'm not sure if that's important to you or not.
I helped friends out in a pinch several times with CAA.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2569 posts
1287 upvotes
Hometown
RFDNoob101 wrote: The Roadside Assistance included with CT WE Mastercard allows you to choose between a member plan (recommended) or vehicle plan.

Nice to see the FACTS about CT instead of a bunch of SWAGS. LOL
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Canuck2fan wrote: Nice to see the FACTS about CT instead of a bunch of SWAGS. LOL
As a "SWAG" this was the case last time I looked into Canadian tire.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3836 posts
1117 upvotes
Scarborough
RFDNoob101 wrote: If you want peace of mind just go with CAA... who knows how long you'd have to wait for Canadian Tire to arrange a tow & then for it to actually arrive.
About 3 hours for me, a couple weeks ago. Apparently there was a "miscommunication" and the towing company didn't get the request from Cad Tire.

OP, save yourself the hassle and get CAA. No other company compares.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25947 posts
10680 upvotes
Socially Distanced
CT and CAA are the big ones.
Look into both, they have additional perks as well, perkopolis for CT, CAA does travel maps, and coupons and more.

Check all your credit cards, you may have some coverage already or be able to purchase some cheap, my BMO card came with something but i actually gave up on it becasue no one in their call center knew how to use it (it could have meant a brand new free Tesla if your car gets a flat tire but there way no way to use the coverage).
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6139 posts
1972 upvotes
Mississauga
devilsadvocate wrote: I've never had a problem with CAA. I like how they cover the cardholder and not just the car like others might do. If you are considering others make sure to read the fine print because some ( I believe TD) have a towing distance of 250 km but will only tow to the nearest mechanic.. not anywhere you want. I think Canadian tire will only cover the car, so I'm not sure if that's important to you or not.
I helped friends out in a pinch several times with CAA.
false info.... you decide when you join... follow driver or the car...

i have used both and wait times are similar..... all based on weather....
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
691 posts
253 upvotes
Ontario
squall458 wrote: Free with Canadian Tire WE Mastercard and TD use to have it free with certain visa cards.
Oh wow, i did not know this. I have a Canadian Tire card too.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25947 posts
10680 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Ducky wrote: false info.... you decide when you join... follow driver or the car...
In the old days CAA was driver, CT was car, currently i think both offer either choice.
Sep 30, 2001
29445 posts
8937 upvotes
Toronto
anyone know if CAA currently has any promotions to sign up new members?
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25947 posts
10680 upvotes
Socially Distanced
MrDisco wrote: anyone know if CAA currently has any promotions to sign up new members?
I got some junk mail with a promo but tossed it in the recycling, perhaps i should open it
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
MrDisco wrote: anyone know if CAA currently has any promotions to sign up new members?
Which area of the country. I'm served by caa south central ontario. Are different areas served by different clubs.
Sep 30, 2001
29445 posts
8937 upvotes
Toronto
KevinM56081 wrote: Which area of the country. I'm served by caa south central ontario. Are different areas served by different clubs.
Ontario
Be kind and civil with one another
Jan 25, 2019
382 posts
927 upvotes
Does anyone know of a short term plan? I am doing a 5000 KM road trip in the near future and was wondering about a monthly plan? The car is older but has been check out by a mechanic for the trip, but an extra peace of mind would be nice. I don't need it for normal use as I walk to work often and work at a dealership so its easy to get normal repairs when in my home town.
I really do appreciate the messages I get from people asking if they can buy from me or my dealership but I am NOT here to sell anything or get deals for my dealership.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
MrDisco wrote: Ontario
I am striving to not be difficult. Ontsrio is served by three different caa clubs iirc. Caa south central ontario. Caa north east. Caa Niagara.

Unsure if different clubs offer different promos.

Edit: tbh... Over several years I've just paid my membership. One flat tire change for my wire in the side of the road makes it worth it.