• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 7:55 pm
[OP]
Jan 8, 2015
371 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga

Roadtrip Toronto to NJ

Just wondering if anyone has done this and what would be a few nice spots to stop at along the way, as I see there are a few diff routes.
4 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12325 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
I did the trip Toronto to NYC just this past long weekend and it wasn't too bad if you take turns driving. Not really sure any spots to check but if you never tried Chick fil a or Shake Shack than i recommend it.

They recently opened one in Bufffalo i think but line up is pretty long so avoid that location and stop by one that is further in the States
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15460 posts
12657 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
sebakaa wrote: Just wondering if anyone has done this and what would be a few nice spots to stop at along the way, as I see there are a few diff routes.
WHERE in New Jersey ?
It’s a STATE afterall

Your plans to stop ... is this for overnighting, or sightseeing ?

The drive clocks in at over 9 Hours, not counting the border, traffic, or stops for gas & grub, coffee & pee breaks.

So unless you are doing it in 2 days, not gonna have much time for anything else
Jun 16, 2009
483 posts
217 upvotes
Mississauga
sebakaa wrote: Just wondering if anyone has done this and what would be a few nice spots to stop at along the way, as I see there are a few diff routes.
We have gone to NJ quite often. My wife has a sister and family there. She lives closer to Trenton, NJ , which is in South NJ. This is closer to PA and Philadelphia then New York state and New York City.
As PointsHubby has asked what part of NJ you are going to ?? It is important to know this, because there are many routes possible

Trenton, NJ
We take Peace Bridge crossing.
I 90 west towards Erie, Pa
Exit 400 South
Exit 20a East ( this route goes through small towns )
Route 36 thru Mt. Morris NY.
Route 36 onto I 390 south towards Corning, NY
I 390 and I 86 east merge jut north of Corning.
I 390 and I 86 merge onto Route 17.
Take Route 17 east towards Binghampton,NY
Route 17 merges onto I 81 South.
Take I 81 towards Scranton, PA
From I 8 1take I 380 East towards I 80 East.
Take I 80 East towards New York City
From I 80 we take exit Route 46 east.
From Route 46 E we take Route 31 south towards Trenton
Route 46 and Route 31 go thru towns.

Stopping
Duty Free at Bridge before crossing the Bridge into US. I find the deals better on Liqour than beer.
Corning,NY has a glass museum. There is also a Corelle Factory Store in Downtown Corning. The best deals here are Clearance items.
We usually have Lunch just south of Corning. ( Moe's Southwest ).
On I 80 there is an Outlet Mall. ( There is no Sales Tax on clothing and Shoes in NJ and PA

I have taken many alternate routes some thru little towns and quite scenic.
I have been traveling to NJ since 1988.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2015
371 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
PointsHubby wrote: WHERE in New Jersey ?
It’s a STATE afterall

Your plans to stop ... is this for overnighting, or sightseeing ?

The drive clocks in at over 9 Hours, not counting the border, traffic, or stops for gas & grub, coffee & pee breaks.

So unless you are doing it in 2 days, not gonna have much time for anything else
Sorry, here is more detail

Its to Parsipiny,NJ
Meeting a friend there then going to NYC
Most likely leaving on a thurs. noonish.

Its 7h10 to his place + border crossing time. Just seeing if there was any noteworthy detours or routes along the way that someone wanted to share.
We are 3 people so made more sense to do a roadtrip.
I do toronto to montreal once a month so driving isnt an issue. I like stopping at that big apple pie place. So if there is something similar