Expired Hot Deals

[Roam Mobility] Roam Mobility - Double 4G LTE Data in the USA - Top up before Oct 30th

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 11:35 am
Dec 6, 2012
363 posts
177 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Shugi wrote: Used RM in NYC last week as I had previous good experience.

The service was fine, but my sim activated about 40 mins late. Friend using AT&T had his sim working immediately. Data speed wasn't impressive, it was quite slow 1~2 mb/s. For the price, I feel it's fine when everything goes smoothly. If something goes wrong though... support doesn't really reply. Personally, I'm going to try the AT&T sim next time. Only reason I used RM again is because of the free sim promo.
RM is using T-Mobile and its LTE bands 2, 4 and 12. AT&T is using 2 and 4 too. If your phone does not support it, you might fallback on 3G. With RM I easily have 30+Mbps even on my 5yo Zenfone2. Check your phone supported bands.
Jul 21, 2010
365 posts
98 upvotes
Ottawa
Magister wrote: RM is using T-Mobile and its LTE bands 2, 4 and 12. AT&T is using 2 and 4 too. If your phone does not support it, you might fallback on 3G. With RM I easily have 30+Mbps even on my 5yo Zenfone2. Check your phone supported bands.
I'm using a Galaxy S10+. My girlfriends iPhone XR also had similar speeds. Top left shows LTE+, speed test shows 1-2 mb/s.

Back in Canada on Telus, I'm getting 150 mb/s...
Sep 23, 2019
89 posts
94 upvotes
I used RM for my trip to Florida and would not recommend it. RM worked just around main cities, everywhere else there was no connection. So while driving this is useless. But in Miami it worked OK. So my exprience - RM is good around cities, but not outside.
Oct 29, 2008
542 posts
253 upvotes
L4J
Shugi wrote: I'm using a Galaxy S10+. My girlfriends iPhone XR also had similar speeds. Top left shows LTE+, speed test shows 1-2 mb/s.

Back in Canada on Telus, I'm getting 150 mb/s...
I'm using Note 4 and the Speedtest shows
Buffalo, Down 22.2 Mbps / Up 7.71 Mbps
Detroit, Down 72.8 Mbps / Up 19.6 Mbps

Review APN settings
Dec 1, 2013
419 posts
167 upvotes
Just putting in my two cents.

I've been using Roam Mobility for over 5 years now and while there has been the occasional hiccup, it's been pretty solid for me. I get LTE most of the time and activating my plan online has always been a breeze. I just hate how there's no live customer service but that's one of the reasons why it's so cheap I guess.

I'm not sure what network they use in the US (possibly T-Mobile?) but I find that it sometimes has a weaker signal vs our Rogers or Bell phones roaming that are also with us. Still not a big deal, I usually have good connection. I will continue to use them as long as they're cheaper than the Roam Like Home prices especially since you don't use your own plan's data.

We use almost all the data supplied since we're using it to stream Spotify on long drives and stuff like that. I've been using the Android's data limiting feature to make sure we don't go crazy overboard in one day and blow all the data.

I have no current plans to go in the US but 1gb/day is nice so I might buy a few days for future use.
May 8, 2013
56 posts
11 upvotes
As others mentioned, be aware that Roam has no functional customer service. You really roll the dice on their system working, as your only way to reach them is email, and they do not answer in any sort of timely manner. I had issues with the plan failing to activate on a 4-day trip, and got no response until weeks after the trip was over. I did get a refund, eventually, but it was not worth the hassle of having the phone not work when it should. That said, I did have it work on a couple of trips. YMMV.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2018
1007 posts
987 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Final nail in the coffin. Just got this message from them:

To call COVID-19's impact on travel “severe” would be an understatement. As a business built on enabling communication for travellers, Roam Mobility has, unsurprisingly, been significantly affected.

As a result, we regret to inform you that Roam Mobility will cease operations on June 30, 2020.

We apologize to everyone who has relied on our service for US travel. Our mission has always been to help travellers stay connected and productive without the burden of expensive roaming fees or contracts.

We are incredibly proud of everything we’ve built and every customer we’ve helped. It has been an honour to be a part of your journeys.

The decision to discontinue our service was not one we came to lightly. Having made that difficult choice, our focus is now on supporting our customers and team members through the transition.

We would like to thank every customer and partner who worked with us or used our services over the years. We are truly grateful for all of your support.

We wish you all the best and happy travels in the future.

Sincerely,
The Roam Mobility Team
Dec 6, 2012
363 posts
177 upvotes
Montréal, QC
sid8tive wrote: Final nail in the coffin. Just got this message from them:

To call COVID-19's impact on travel “severe” would be an understatement. As a business built on enabling communication for travellers, Roam Mobility has, unsurprisingly, been significantly affected.

As a result, we regret to inform you that Roam Mobility will cease operations on June 30, 2020.

We apologize to everyone who has relied on our service for US travel. Our mission has always been to help travellers stay connected and productive without the burden of expensive roaming fees or contracts.

We are incredibly proud of everything we’ve built and every customer we’ve helped. It has been an honour to be a part of your journeys.

The decision to discontinue our service was not one we came to lightly. Having made that difficult choice, our focus is now on supporting our customers and team members through the transition.

We would like to thank every customer and partner who worked with us or used our services over the years. We are truly grateful for all of your support.

We wish you all the best and happy travels in the future.

Sincerely,
The Roam Mobility Team
oh shit! I often go (went...) to the US for 1-3 days and it was super easy and useful to have 1GB+ of data and unlimited call/sms for 5CAD/day !!! What will be the alternatives for people without canadian plan?
Also border may reopen end of June...
Apr 24, 2015
22 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've had a Roam Mobility card for ages now. I had just renewed my card, not even a week, but days before they said they were going to cease operations. Lucky for me, they had a COVID-related rebate, so I lost no money. Unlucky for me, I don't know if I have a decent fall back for US Roaming.