Roam Mobility Says Goodbye

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2021 1:24 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Bratcoin wrote: Is there a way to waive the $8 shipping fee of KR?
It's possible some stores like CC or BB sell KR SIMs. Amazon has a listing but it's currently unavailable: KnowRoaming Global SIM Card

Google shows various discount codes of 10% to 50% off.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 6, 2003
906 posts
56 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote: I've been using KnownRoaming for several years now and the free US number that was assigned to the SIM is still active with less than $1 balance left on it.
Awesome, good to know! At least at this point, with Roam gone, that might change.
Apr 6, 2003
906 posts
56 upvotes
Mississauga
bylo wrote: 1. KnowRoaming was around before Roam Mobility. Initially all they offered was a SIM sticker. Many people found that problematic. Now they offer a conventional SIM as well as eSIM.
2. KR's rates were higher than RM's. Now they've whittled them down to be more competitive, even with some EU SIMs.
3. KR offers roaming coverage outside NA, something RM never did.
4. KR roams on AT&T. RM roamed on T-Mobile. That's probably not an issue in urban areas but there are many reports that AT&T has better coverage in US rural areas than T-Mobile.
5. KR roams in Canada. RM only worked in the US. So you can use KR (a) to make calls in Canada if absolutely necessary, (b) just to receive 2FA texts, (c) as a combo with Fido's cheap data SIM if you use voice/text sparingly, (d) to "use" the SIM every few months to avoid having it expire due to lack of use (assuming they expire SIMs) and/or (e) maybe even to activate a Google Voice account that requires a US phone number.

There hasn't been a catch for the several years KR has been in operation. Travel restrictions due to C-19 seems to be what finally brought RM down. It could happen to KR (et al "travel") SIMs. You're only gambling $10 or $20 so it's not a huge risk.
Great! I'll have to check 'em out. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: I can't say I didn't see this coming even before COVID-19. With COVID-19, it was the final nail in the coffin. Good riddance I'll say.
What are some good alternatives? I am on Public Mobile, so there are no addons available from my carrier.
Since when? Public Mobile has had US roaming addons for years
Koodo $45 60GB 5G + Unlimited Long Distance Perk (28 Countries)
Public $120 180GB + Canada Wide (90 Day plan; less rewards = $20 per month)
Freedom $35 North America Wide + 20GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
GeeCee wrote: I never quite understood the appeal of using those sorts of easy roam services. $8 a day is a lot versus Roam, but I suppose it's much simpler than having to set up a plan beforehand, swap sims, etc.
The $8 a day is very recent
Prior to this cellcos used to charge insane amounts ($2 per minute, $0.35 per txt, $1.50 per MB as an example from Bell)

That is why brands such as Roam took off (and many Canadians even bought US branded SIMs such as from TMo or AT&T direct)

With majority of carriers having cheap / easy roaming plans these days stuff like Roam were already losing and covid was just the nail that killed them off
Koodo $45 60GB 5G + Unlimited Long Distance Perk (28 Countries)
Public $120 180GB + Canada Wide (90 Day plan; less rewards = $20 per month)
Freedom $35 North America Wide + 20GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
Public doesn't have a per day add-on for the US that I'm aware of.
The best I've seen for voice/text/250 MB data is $20 for 10 days.
Phils