Cell Phones

Roaming SIMs and eSIMs for Travelers

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 10:51 am
Oct 10, 2006
953 posts
1516 upvotes
Ottawa
riseagainstthemachine wrote: crossing over to buffalo on monday and coming back wednesday night. fido wants to charge me $12 a day for using my own plan/data. what other options do I have? would like to have a number for calls and data. I miss roam mobility... used them for years with no issues all over the states

fyi I have a Samsung S20 FE, I see its not compatible with esims i guess
I got an email adapter from eSIM.me. Yes, the initial cost is higher than the traditional travel SIM, but I like that I can use eSIM from now, so saving money in long run.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
1045 posts
895 upvotes
Kanata
Sweety wrote:
I got an email adapter from eSIM.me. Yes, the initial cost is higher than the traditional travel SIM, but I like that I can use eSIM from now, so saving money in long run.
I have an Essential phone. There is no specific adapter available but there is one for general Android. Can I use this and since my phone is old will this future proof me for an upgrade?

Looks to me like the Android one would be OK for all compatible phones which sounds useful to be able to switch from phone to phone.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1017 posts
1106 upvotes
GTA
gumby_ng wrote: I have an Essential phone. There is no specific adapter available but there is one for general Android. Can I use this and since my phone is old will this future proof me for an upgrade?
Yes, you should be able to use the general "Android" version card for your phone. I have two eSIM.me cards in my family and have tested it on the Essential (yes I still have that, but it's my spare only now) The following phones were also tested: Moto G (2nd Gen), Nokia 6.1, Samsung S8+, S9+, Pixel 3a XL although the App did not work on the Nokia and the Moto G if I remembered correctly.

The cost varies for different version of the cards, but I think they introduced a two-profile option where you can load up to 2 profiles. Personally, that would be sufficient for me as I would keep one main profile which I use primarily in Canada, and reserve one for travelling. This would be the most economical option as I don't travel regularly. For those who need to store more profiles, there are 5-profiles and up to 15-profile versions. Note that their website maybe a bit confusing with all the options for various manufacturers/models

Check out the thread here for more info esim-me-stores-all-esims-single-physica ... 9-2500975/
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1017 posts
1106 upvotes
GTA
riseagainstthemachine wrote: crossing over to buffalo on monday and coming back wednesday night. fido wants to charge me $12 a day for using my own plan/data. what other options do I have? would like to have a number for calls and data. I miss roam mobility... used them for years with no issues all over the states

fyi I have a Samsung S20 FE, I see its not compatible with esims i guess
Don't go by the list of models on their website. I have used the eSIM.me card on both the Samsun S8+ and S9+ and it works no problem. I don't think they tested on all models so that's why your model is not listed. Also want to point out the App may not be able to work/detect the eSIM.me card on that phone model but once programmed, the card should work on any phone (caveat, I only have the "Android" version of the card and tested on the phones I have in my house at the time)

I don't see no reason why it (the card along with the App) won't work on your Samsung S20 FE
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
1045 posts
895 upvotes
Kanata
vn33 wrote: Yes, you should be able to use the general "Android" version card for your phone. I have two eSIM.me cards in my family and have tested it on the Essential (yes I still have that, but it's my spare only now) The following phones were also tested: Moto G (2nd Gen), Nokia 6.1, Samsung S8+, S9+, Pixel 3a XL although the App did not work on the Nokia and the Moto G if I remembered correctly.

The cost varies for different version of the cards, but I think they introduced a two-profile option where you can load up to 2 profiles. Personally, that would be sufficient for me as I would keep one main profile which I use primarily in Canada, and reserve one for travelling. This would be the most economical option as I don't travel regularly. For those who need to store more profiles, there are 5-profiles and up to 15-profile versions. Note that their website maybe a bit confusing with all the options for various manufacturers/models

Check out the thread here for more info esim-me-stores-all-esims-single-physica ... 9-2500975/
They've confirmed that it will work since the app says it is compatible. I wish they had a 2 profile version for general Android. I don't need 15.

Also in the other thread it sounds like the sim is locked to the original phone for programming purposes. Might wait until I get a new phone as I'm not sure how much longer I'll have my Essential.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
vn33 wrote: Don't go by the list of models on their website. I have used the eSIM.me card on both the Samsun S8+ and S9+ and it works no problem. I don't think they tested on all models so that's why your model is not listed. Also want to point out the App may not be able to work/detect the eSIM.me card on that phone model but once programmed, the card should work on any phone (caveat, I only have the "Android" version of the card and tested on the phones I have in my house at the time)

I don't see no reason why it (the card along with the App) won't work on your Samsung S20 FE
I did some more research, with the actual esim card inserted there is no issue, but just buying an esim will not work with specifically the FE model of the S20. For some reason the phone has the capability but it is disabled in canada with no way of enabling it even with the developer tools. its ok, ill just pay the $12 a day to fido and not worry about it
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1017 posts
1106 upvotes
GTA
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I did some more research, with the actual esim card inserted there is no issue, but just buying an esim will not work with specifically the FE model of the S20. For some reason the phone has the capability but it is disabled in canada with no way of enabling it even with the developer tools. its ok, ill just pay the $12 a day to fido and not worry about it
I know the built-eSIM does not work in US/Canada, but are you implying the eSIM.me card cannot be used on the S20FE? I would think it should work as long as the eSIM.me App works on your phone. I know the eSIM.me App works on the S8+ and S9 when I tested it, and I just have to make sure eSIM.me card is in SIM slot 1 when I did the programming of the card. I would think not having to pay Robellus a few days of Roaming would pay for this eSIM.me card.

BTW, Apologies for my confusion if you were talking about the built-in eSIM capability while my focus was on the eSIM.me card as per this thread.
esim-me-stores-all-esims-single-physica ... 9-2500975/
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
1045 posts
895 upvotes
Kanata
For anyone looking for an affordable option for small data only needs, I found that my GigSky physical SIM has not been deactivated from 4 years ago when I used it on a European cruise. I was reminded I still had that by an email to use code SPRING22 for 15% off right now.

Going to the US for a week, they offer a North America plan for $11.99 USD for 1GB for 15 days. I know they don't sell physical SIMs anymore on their website (eSIM only), but I see their SIMs are still available an Amazon for $10.99.
Europe is also available for $8.99 USD for 1GB for 15 days.

They have larger plans but at their prices you are better off with other options but for those who just need something for infrequent use (Google Maps, searching for restaurants, etc.), this seems like a good option.

Their is no US/1 GB/15 day plan so I got the North America plan and already activated and tested before we go.
Jul 5, 2010
613 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
What us a good plan for US for two weeks?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
chicu1981 wrote: What us a good plan for US for two weeks?
When are you leaving ? Depends because if it’s Tomorrow eSim way is faster otherwise get A sim shipped to your destination if possible.
Also if your phone has eSim capability
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
2558 posts
823 upvotes
Will be going to US in April for 7 days. My Samsung only uses sim (no eSim). Looking for a small package for talk and text and 400MB of data. Any recommendations ? I want to spend $ 15 (CAN). I'm thinking of getting this, but it's a little more than I want to pay and doesn't have enough MB. Any thoughts or other recommendations: https://www.amazon.ca/Prepaid-USA-SIM-C ... C80&sr=1-5
Jun 8, 2019
549 posts
630 upvotes
I have the Fido data-only plan, which doesn't allow incoming SMS.

I am looking for a legit SIM phone number that will allow me to have SMS verification codes received. I won't be using this SIM for anything else.

Ideally free or cheap unlimited RECEIVED SMS in Canada and internationally. And low maintenance to keep the SIM active.

Any idea?

Or any reliable VOIP app?
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
roedoe wrote: I am looking for a legit SIM phone number that will allow me to have SMS verification codes received. I won't be using this SIM for anything else.
SpeakOut $25/year.
voip.ms

There are lengthy threads on RFD for both of these.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
roedoe wrote: I have the Fido data-only plan, which doesn't allow incoming SMS.

I am looking for a legit SIM phone number that will allow me to have SMS verification codes received. I won't be using this SIM for anything else.

Ideally free or cheap unlimited RECEIVED SMS in Canada and internationally. And low maintenance to keep the SIM active.

Any idea?

I replied to you elsewhere also.

Ultra Mobile
$3 30min+30msg, .10 extra, 1-day 500mb $5 or 7-day 1GB $10 data pass, roaming: talk $1.99/min , text s/r .50/.10

https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/

Google Voice works well, but it doesn't work with some services.
Nov 20, 2012
255 posts
90 upvotes
CALGARY
Going to Mexico for a week in April. What have people tried for a cell plan with data?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bylo wrote: SpeakOut $25/year.

voip.ms

There are lengthy threads on RFD for both of these.
P.S. to clarify. @roedoe said, "I have the Fido data-only plan, which doesn't allow incoming SMS." I took that to mean incoming SMS in Canada, not roaming outside of Canada which is the topic of this thread. SpeakOut works only in Canada. VoIP providers work anywhere on the planet where there's Internet access. OTOH VoIP providers are notorious for not supporting 100% of incoming 2FA texts 100% of the time.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 8, 2019
549 posts
630 upvotes
bylo wrote: P.S. to clarify. @roedoe said, "I have the Fido data-only plan, which doesn't allow incoming SMS." I took that to mean incoming SMS in Canada, not roaming outside of Canada which is the topic of this thread. SpeakOut works only in Canada. VoIP providers work anywhere on the planet where there's Internet access. OTOH VoIP providers are notorious for not supporting 100% of incoming 2FA texts 100% of the time.
Thanks for the input. What is a VOIP service that would support verification SMS?
Apr 11, 2017
124 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
Would also like to know. I was planning on getting the AT&T $45 unlimited data plan from Walmart but my Canadian Note 9 won't work with AT&T. Back to the drawing board.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
roedoe wrote: Thanks for the input. What is a VOIP service that would support verification SMS?
I use viop.ms, Google Voice and Fongo with several FIs that do 2FA text verification. Both voip.ms and Google Voice work well for me. Fongo usually works too but sometimes it can take minutes for the text to arrive and sometimes by the time the text does arrive the verification code has expired on the site I'm trying to authenticate.

So if you need to be able to receive 2FA texts more widely than just Canada I would suggest voip.ms.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 8, 2019
549 posts
630 upvotes
bylo wrote: I use viop.ms, Google Voice and Fongo with several FIs that do 2FA text verification. Both voip.ms and Google Voice work well for me. Fongo usually works too but sometimes it can take minutes for the text to arrive and sometimes by the time the text does arrive the verification code has expired on the site I'm trying to authenticate.

So if you need to be able to receive 2FA texts more widely than just Canada I would suggest voip.ms.
Good to know all 3 work for you. Why is everyone saying you can't use VOIP SMS for verifications?

What are "FIs" by the way?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

MrLobo