Expired Hot Deals

Robosen

Transformers Optimus Prime Auto-Converting Programmable Robot - $799 USD (pre-order)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2021 8:24 pm
[OP]
May 10, 2006
558 posts
245 upvotes
YYC

Transformers Optimus Prime Auto-Converting Programmable Robot - $799 USD (pre-order)

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Robosen
Guys don't comment about price please...it's $799 USD plus shipping and duties. This was previously not available for pre-order in Canada from Robosen. I think the Hasbro Pulse site allowed it for Canadians but it was very limited. As far as I know this whole production is a very limited run.

For people who have not seen the video previews:
CNET
Other random dudes
Thread Summary
More details about the toy can be found here:
https://hasbropulse.com/products/transf ... rs-edition
52 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
6817 posts
11352 upvotes
Montreal
What are you smoking OP?
$800 USD for a toy?
This is a Hot Deals forum!?! ... and we're not supposed to comment on the price?!
[OP]
May 10, 2006
558 posts
245 upvotes
YYC
Temporel wrote: What are you smoking OP?
$800 USD for a toy?
This is a Hot Deals forum!?! ... and we're not supposed to comment on the price?!
People spend and post limited Lego Technic sets for $500 plus here...just saying.

This is worth the price and a hot deal for some especially if you look at the comments at FB for Hasbro and for Robosen. Lots of people didn't even know there was a pre-order, and lots that did couldn't order because they didn't let Canadians order previously.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1053 posts
761 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I wonder how much the duty would be on it
[OP]
May 10, 2006
558 posts
245 upvotes
YYC
1_blue_pixel wrote: I wonder how much the duty would be on it
Yeah hard to say depends on carrier. Some people on RFD have self-declared items from US to save on duties before, that might be worth looking into for a high value item like this.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2423 posts
1091 upvotes
Hometown
If it really is the best collector toy ever as the woman states....

Why does it even have to "work" reliably. A real collector would buy it, never open it as that would mean it was BNIB pristine and untouched. So they stick the box in dust proof container stick it in a closet so it does not get harmed by UV rays by sitting in front of a window or anything like that. Brining it out only to brag on it in front of like minded friends who are in to the life... The buyer waits 10 to 15 yrs and decides to cash in, because friends are less impressed now and he sees the market has gone crazy... If you discount inflation he might even triple his money.

They sell it advertised on Fleabagbay 3.0. As a BNIB pristine never played with item. Terms and condition include the warning "buyers beware if you open the box you have ruined the "collectible value" of the item. Money will NOT be refunded for an opened item..."

New collector looks at the box thinks this a a sure fire investment TFSA account be damned. She sticks in a dust proof environment, remembers after 10 yrs when relocating and finds it. By now the battery has decayed and leaked through the box/toy destroying it...

Still the BEST collectible ever though right? LOL
Jan 17, 2009
78 posts
73 upvotes
1_blue_pixel wrote: I wonder how much the duty would be on it
Canada duty calculator says no duty but around $70 for sales tax (varies by province).
FTO wrote: Yeah hard to say depends on carrier. Some people on RFD have self-declared items from US to save on duties before, that might be worth looking into for a high value item like this.
You still have to pay duty & taxes when self clearing. You only save on brokerage fees, which can be a lot depending on what company they ship with.
[OP]
May 10, 2006
558 posts
245 upvotes
YYC
Canuck2fan wrote: If it really is the best collector toy ever as the woman states....

Why does it even have to "work" reliably. A real collector would buy it, never open it as that would mean it was BNIB pristine and untouched. So they stick the box in dust proof container stick it in a closet so it does not get harmed by UV rays by sitting in front of a window or anything like that. Brining it out only to brag on it in front of like minded friends who are in to the life... The buyer waits 10 to 15 yrs and decides to cash in, because friends are less impressed now and he sees the market has gone crazy... If you discount inflation he might even triple his money.

They sell it advertised on Fleabagbay 3.0. As a BNIB pristine never played with item. Terms and condition include the warning "buyers beware if you open the box you have ruined the "collectible value" of the item. Money will NOT be refunded for an opened item..."

New collector looks at the box thinks this a a sure fire investment TFSA account be damned. She sticks in a dust proof environment, remembers after 10 yrs when relocating and finds it. By now the battery has decayed and leaked through the box/toy destroying it...

Still the BEST collectible ever though right? LOL
A collector/scalper would probably do that. A diehard fan would get two, one to collect and one to play with... Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1495 posts
848 upvotes
If they can make a simpler version, with no voice command, no app control, no wifi, smaller and with a 1 button click for self transform and lower the price, that will be tempting.

It's remind me a little of my Sphero R2-D2. After a few weeks, I'll be like: hey, let's boot R2 up and control it a bit. Well, oups! No battery left. Because it's always on so it can connect to nearby phone, the battery last like 1 week on stand-by mode.

Hopefully this has an on/off switch, else you'll be charging it a lot.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14990 posts
9397 upvotes
Toronto
Love it. Can't afford it. Would go really awesome with my g1 collection.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 27, 2012
922 posts
1818 upvotes
This is cool for 5 minutes before it becomes a $1k dust collector.
2010-2020 Contest Winnings = $0
Sep 4, 2009
486 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
Saukrates wrote: This is cool for 5 minutes before it becomes a $1k dust collector.
So literally what it means to be a collectible.
- Don't support hoarding. Do your research, decide on the price you want to pay for it. Don't ever pay more than that.
Oct 18, 2012
331 posts
432 upvotes
OTTAWA
It's cute seeing people who don't understand collecting. It's not always about striking a deal or whatever even though its RFD. Having a hobby or collecting stuff is always a sinkhole investment at first but if you are good enough then it will be a worthwhile investment for the future.

The collector's market will always be strong in terms of toys and collectibles. Every year, more people get added to the hobby and it has been expanding. Millennials that have good paying jobs now are going back in time to afford all the nice things they couldn't have because of nostalgia. Now, new collectors join the hobby as companies continue to pump out statues, toys and etc...

Age of the geek baby.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2002
4853 posts
2347 upvotes
Five years ago I would have jumped on this, guess I'm growing up?
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3484 posts
941 upvotes
Toronto
The detail looks very plain for that price.
Jul 20, 2007
599 posts
171 upvotes
I saw this at the live Hasbro pulse event. My inner kid screamed when I saw it transformed. Added to cart for $699 but kept thinking it would be cool for like 5 minutes like my other toys.
Ended up just getting the Ark at Amazon.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2358 posts
511 upvotes
You nerds will argue for nine pages over spending an extra 0.3 cents on laundry pods and then go and drop $800 US on a beanie baby.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14990 posts
9397 upvotes
Toronto
Saukrates wrote: This is cool for 5 minutes before it becomes a $1k dust collector.
while[1];do;done wrote: So literally what it means to be a collectible.
This is amazing. And incredibly accurate. Super subtle burn mang.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯