• Jun 19th, 2021 10:43 am
Tags:
[OP]
May 12, 2009
319 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto

Robot vacuums

I'm looking to buy a robot vacuum. Since I started researching I noticed there is a wide price range and I would guess quality. I'm not looking for one that mops the floor, just a machine to collect dust, go under bed, table, shelf and stuff. I would like to know how well some of the machines perform and how useful are they. Thanks!
13 replies
Feb 1, 2009
370 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
I’m looking as well and almost pulled the trigger on a dumb one that cleans well but bumps around randomly. Apparently the next generation with home mapping (some using lidar) at an affordable price is coming (wyze vacuum) so will wait for that.
Jan 21, 2011
744 posts
303 upvotes
GTA
I have a Neato d85, really old and does a great job with the floor. Looking to get a Neato D6 and or IRobot 9s in the future. The 9s is self emptying which is a plus, but not sure if it has lidar like Neato. Some of IRobot devices uses cameras, so area needs to be lit.
Dec 21, 2020
68 posts
40 upvotes
Take a look at this Youtube channel. They do reviews of vacuums including detailed reviews and showdowns of robot vacuums.
Jan 15, 2010
535 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
At first I grabbed one of the Ecovacs. Excellent reviews online, got it at a steal of a price on sale and once I got it all setup and going it was nothing but frustrating. The thing randomly bumps around and always has a hard time finding its way back to the base. I don't know why I trusted all of those reviews and youtube videos but it was was nothing like the experience I had.

I eventually dropped the money and got one of the top iRobot vacuums (grabbed it used for a good price) and it has been amazing. Night and day difference.

If you are researching, make sure you have mapping with multi-floor support (if you have multiple floors) and the ability to mark keep out zones to avoid things like shaggy carpets. Make sure it has charge and resume if your floor plan is big. Make sure it has a nice app to schedule it all and set it up easily. The auto empty bin is a really nice to have as well to avoid having to empty it after every run or two.

I'm not saying you have to get the most expensive model, just make sure it has these features to avoid the same frustration I went through.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1153 posts
295 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a Shark one that is relatively inexpensive without all the bells and whistles such as laser mapping.

It works surprisingly well. I use it almost everyday....so if it misses a few corners, then it will likely pick up those corners in the next few runs.

https://www.amazon.ca/Shark-RV750C-Robo ... 588&sr=8-5

I think they are quite important now. I use my robot vacuum every day while using my heavy duty vacuum only once every 4 weeks.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14932 posts
9340 upvotes
Toronto
how about trying the rfd search function since this question has been asked a LOT
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3462 posts
698 upvotes
I would recommend the roborock vacuum, it was advertised as the xiaomi initially but has been fantastic the last 3+ years that I have owned it.

Run it everyday and have given me a positive change to my quality of life.

Recently picked up the wyze robot vac for the new house but have given that a spin yet (it’s for the second floor) but it appears to be the same design as the roborock.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10002 posts
1878 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Roomba from 2 years ago. Do not recommend because their brush catches all the hair and gets stuck.

I literally have to pull the hair off the brush every now and then and it's a pain in the butt

My wife and I basically don't even use this anymore we just use a vacuum cleaner and vac under the bed ourselves
Feb 1, 2009
370 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
Costco roombas are on sale, I grabbed the i7.

Good luck!
Nov 11, 2020
38 posts
36 upvotes
I find that our robo vacuum is good for maintenance cleaning, especially with a dog at home that sheds a lot. However, we still manually vacuum quickly on the weekends to clean the corners or specific areas that are high traffic (maybe we're just clean freaks lol). I definitely would recommend one, especially if you have kids or pets, otherwise, a cordless Dyson is still king.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2431 posts
383 upvotes
North York
Asriel wrote: price is coming (wyze vacuum) so will wait for that.
I have one, skip it. If you get one like mine that disconnects itself from the internet (and you can't reset it to fix it), it's not much different then the dumb one. (and Wyze support is awful.) So save money & time and go buy something else.
Dec 8, 2020
81 posts
18 upvotes
After doing tons of research i have the shark iq self empty BAGLESS which is at costco for 389.00.
What it does well..
Bare floors. Low carpet is pretty decent.
Whst the downside is.. it SAYS it has a self cleaning roll. I say stuff and nonsense. I have two dogs and once in a while i have to pull out the piled hair from the roller. While easy to do it irks me when im in grump mode.

I wont get the i7 as its to expensive and from the reviews the 17 and the 13 (i4 costco) are the same. Except the i7 has keep out zones and the i4 cleans better.
Since upstairs is where the dog hair is, the shark IQ even though it’s bagless, will not be good enough to clean those carpets. Since the self cleaning ones have bags im not going in that expensive in the long run direction. So I am going to opt for the roomba 960. It scored almost highest in carpet cleanup. The other best carpet cleaner rating above it was the S9 and I’ve done research on it and there’s too many problems with that one currently. Yes I will have to clean it myself. So I am going to look for a used one on marketplace.
Hope that helps.