• Aug 18th, 2019 6:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2438 posts
937 upvotes
Toronto

Rock Adhesive advice

I've been tinkering around with my backyard landscaping since June, which was when I took home the remnant cuttings of muskoka rock slabs that were used to build a house. The slab bricks stack easily, and I have used them for the perimeter of both a flower and herb garden.

Was looking for suggestions on what to use to keep things together.
I'm looking for something that would enhance structural strength, but would also be somewhat easily removable should I decide to reshape/adjust.
14 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2438 posts
937 upvotes
Toronto
To help visualize, here's a pic from a week ago.
The stacking was rough - just to give me an idea of perspective.
Will level and stack more carefully when finalizing.

Am I nuts for thinking that a few dabs of silicone caulking (between layers) might do the trick?
Images
  • IMG_20190806_201314.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4725 posts
629 upvotes
Calgary
PL 400
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3870 posts
3040 upvotes
Toronto
They have a "landscaping adhesive" for stone/rocks: LINK or just use general construction adhesive like PL Premium, which is good for exterior and old temperatures.

Just use a few dabs per stone instead of lots of adhesive and it should be strong enough for your needs (as long as you don't expect people to sit/stand on it) and yet easy to separate (probably with a mallet).
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1157 posts
1027 upvotes
Vancouver
shikotee wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 11:14 am
To help visualize, here's a pic from a week ago.
The stacking was rough - just to give me an idea of perspective.
Will level and stack more carefully when finalizing.

Am I nuts for thinking that a few dabs of silicone caulking (between layers) might do the trick?
Silicone is unlikely to help. It dries out rapidly in the outdoor environment and loses all strength.

I've had better luck with the Bondex cement-like filler compound: https://www.rona.ca/en/concrete-patch-repair-38l
It at least has a cement-like texture and colour that goes better with rock. It can act as a glue, but it won't have a lot of strength holding rock together against a tension force.

Last resort would be to drill through the rock slabs and put in a hidden rod.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6836 posts
1785 upvotes
Maple
Construction adhesive PL products. They are used for outdoor landscaping.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2438 posts
937 upvotes
Toronto
I've never used PL products before.
How much of it should I use?
Would a dab on each end of rock suffice, or would I have to cover all contact points?
Images
  • IMG_20190817_180252.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6836 posts
1785 upvotes
Maple
I would say more than a dab but you don't have to cover all contacts. The more is the better.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2438 posts
937 upvotes
Toronto
Just to clarify - I would apply the dabs after stacking (the sides), or apply the dabs and squish like a sandwhich?
Sorry - total masonry noob.

The slab cuts are smooth, and the rock is very flush when stacked. Would the dabs impact this, or would the weight make no difference?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6836 posts
1785 upvotes
Maple
shikotee wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 10:14 pm
Just to clarify - I would apply the dabs after stacking (the sides), or apply the dabs and squish like a sandwhich?
Sorry - total masonry noob.

The slab cuts are smooth, and the rock is very flush when stacked. Would the dabs impact this, or would the weight make no difference?
I would make a line of squish, the weight of the rock will push/balance the adhesive around under the rock,

I suggest to search on youtube.
https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s ... ction=view
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6781 posts
3049 upvotes
Paris
teoconca wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 10:51 pm
I would make a line of squish, the weight of the rock will push/balance the adhesive around under the rock,
Agree to squish but it’s not mortar. Will even it out when applied right and keep it from rocking but only so much if you have a kid that wants to walk on it as I’m sure my nut bar kid would.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6156 posts
1772 upvotes
Whitby
My kid does hardscaping as a summer job, works for a high end company. He said Gator Block XP is better than PL when we were looking for adhesive for a small stone job, it'll hold level better if you are using a large dab to even out stones. Out east Arntz sells it.