• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2018 10:36 pm
[OP]
Aug 16, 2015
222 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto

Rock auto phone number?

Does rock auto have a toll free customer service Number? Cant seem to find it.
23 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12214 posts
1131 upvotes
Brampton
I don't think they have customer service anymore.

Did they send you something like this?
Last edited by cheapmeister on Mar 14th, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8550 upvotes
GTHA
TheSandman1 wrote: Does rock auto have a toll free customer service Number? Cant seem to find it.
"RockAuto is a completely online company. We do not have a customer service phone number to provide assistance over the phone. All of our customer service resources are available 24/7 online! Online self-service ensures consistent quality and keeps our prices low for you!"

from https://www.rockauto.com/help/?page=4#CUSTSERVICE
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2718 posts
1955 upvotes
Watched the first video.
Understandably the customer would be pissed but would the proper procedure not be to purchase another one and send back the defective piece to get reimbursed?
Smash that like button!
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1931 upvotes
markham
cheapmeister wrote: I don't think they have customer service anymore.

Did they send you something like this?
has this happened to you?..do you use rock auto much?

I use them more than this guy in the video..out of about 50 purchases..never had a defect and anything i did return, went smoothly...now I am not denying this happened..but this guy could have rectified this for his "customer" by using another clip, from another car..most of them are universal..the clip is so tiny ,it may have been in the box. he could have got one from a local parts place or scrapyard....also..sounds like it was the clip all along and he orders a new handle too?...just seems like a big deal was made over a $1 part, that could have been bought almost anywhere that sells car parts...and who knows if he even installed the clip properly on the handle before install?.
...anyway..one persons (questionable) bad experience shouldn't tarnish the reputation of a company that has does excellent business over the years as far as I am concerned.

( and btw..i stopped getting the magnets in my deliveries over 3 years ago)
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2718 posts
1955 upvotes
cardguy wrote: has this happened to you?..do you use rock auto much?

I use them more than this guy in the video..out of about 50 purchases..never had a defect and anything i did return, went smoothly...now I am not denying this happened..but this guy could have rectified this for his "customer" by using another clip, from another car..most of them are universal..the clip is so tiny ,it may have been in the box. he could have got one from a local parts place or scrapyard....also..sounds like it was the clip all along and he orders a new handle too?...just seems like a big deal was made over a $1 part, that could have been bought almost anywhere that sells car parts...and who knows if he even installed the clip properly on the handle before install?.
...anyway..one persons (questionable) bad experience shouldn't tarnish the reputation of a company that has does excellent business over the years as far as I am concerned.

AFAIK, you have to order $100 worth of parts. I have easily over 15 on my fridge alone. Most of the time i just throw them out or put them on the tool box.
Likewise, I have never had an issue with any part i have ordered nor have any of my acquaintances that have used them. If the person was using rock as a parts supplier thats his first mistake; he should have used local.
Smash that like button!
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12214 posts
1131 upvotes
Brampton
cardguy wrote: has this happened to you?..do you use rock auto much?

I haven't used rock auto yet. I was thinking about it but after seeing videos like these I am having second thoughts.
Also in the youtube comments for the videos peeps are saying how they had problems as well, and how they sell counter fit parts. Not sure what to think.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1931 upvotes
markham
cheapmeister wrote: I haven't used rock auto yet. I was thinking about it but after seeing videos like these I am having second thoughts.
Also in the youtube comments for the videos peeps are saying how they had problems as well, and how they sell counter fit parts. Not sure what to think.
don't let the video scare you..VERY good to deal with..even easier if you have a dealer part number..and most prices are cheaper..and the price you pay includes everything to your door...only 5% discount coupon..ever...but some good closeout specials if you watch.
almost every part for a lot of cars , and there is OEM, premium, economy and severe duty brands.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2718 posts
1955 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote: I haven't used rock auto yet. I was thinking about it but after seeing videos like these I am having second thoughts.
Just order. Grab OEM parts or high quality. Ie. if Ford, just get motocraft/ ac delco
Smash that like button!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15147 posts
16142 upvotes
Oakville
+1 for rockauto. No issues for me.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2622 posts
160 upvotes
Burlington
I wouldn't stress it. No different than any shop, there will never be 100% perfect reviews and sadly mistakes will happen to even the best of companies. I think procedure being that the product is returned and exchanged is pretty normal. I find it hard to that someone would expect that they'd have a means or method to track every tiny piece or accessory of every part and just ship it on the fly. That's a lot of cars, a lot of models and a lot of years worth of parts to have on hand :|

That being said from my recent order, roughly about $600 in parts for my car, everything showed up way faster than quoted, boxes were fairly well packed with bubble wrap, and product packaging looked good. The box for a single rotor was a little squished... but hey that was a lot of weight to ship around and honestly... its chunks of metal I don't expect them to foam wrap everything like a computer would. Beyond that price was way better than anything local and parts arrived fast and with no issues. Big +1 from me, I will be using them again next time.

Ohh and I got like 5-6 magnets in my order lol Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6305 posts
1948 upvotes
BC
It is important to understand the business model for Rockauto. They have no warehouses of their own, and zero inventory.

Many on RFD are unaware of this. The guy in the 2nd. video explains it. Or from employees, past or present.

The key point is that their 'Supply Chain Managers' have very little control over the independent low-bid autoparts suppliers (the 'warehouses') dotted around the country in terms of quality control.

This is why returns are difficult if not impractical - especially for Canadians.

In most cases everything works fine. The things you need in new packaging at exceptionally good prices. No cause for concern. But if things don't work out, don't expect a Costco type warm and fuzzy resolution.

The guy getting an old stock and previously fitted master cylinder could just be due to ordering for a vehicle that had several part number changes within a model year. Happens, but rarely I bet.

The guy in the first video wearing the Carquest cap shouldn't be using Rockauto as his jobber (as 6mthatch pointed out above). Even if he was intending to pass on the lower parts price to his customers.

Depending on what you are ordering, buy with confidence but have a Plan B if things go awry because problem resolution can't be accommodated too readily into their business model, as OP is presumably finding out.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1102 posts
1008 upvotes
Calgary
Not sure what kind of shop this guy is running if he depends on RockAuto for every clip, or odd plastic tab he may need.

Sounds like the type of person who's burned every bridge with local providers.

I've had many orders with them. Only issue was an incorrect end link, they expedited the correct part to me in 2 business days at no cost and told me to keep the wrong part. More than fair, probably quicker than if a local parts store ran into the same problem.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1126 posts
625 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Love RockAuto! Brand name wiper blades under $5, OEM oil filters I use for $3.50. No complaints on my end, been using them for several years.