• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2019 11:16 am
[OP]
Jun 23, 2018
94 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal

Rock caused dent and deep scratch on hood

Does anybody know how much something like this would cost.

A rock hit the front hood part of my car on the highway. I will be paying this myself. No insurance involved.
Images
  • 719310F8-0069-476B-8206-0AFDE5725295.jpeg
19 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1029 posts
380 upvotes
York Region
$500 - $1000. If you drive on the hwy all the time, just touch it up since it will happen again Slightly Frowning Face
[OP]
Jun 23, 2018
94 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal
bacalhau4me wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 6:25 pm
$500 - $1000. If you drive on the hwy all the time, just touch it up since it will happen again Slightly Frowning Face
Wow that expensive? It’s because of the dent right? My car is not even two months old yet and this shit happens...
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19158 posts
4239 upvotes
Thornhill
I got the front half of my hood, whole front bumper, front fender and side mirrors wrapped in a clear film shortly after buying my car. It was expensive but after two parking lot scrapes and one plow into a snow bank, the wrap has held up decently, except for the scrape which rubbed the wrap off. Not sure if it was quite worth it but there was definitely less rock chips then my last vehicle. Buying a prepainted bumper is still more expensive I suppose.

Unfortunately with driving, random rocks and debris can always hit your car. There's not much you can do, but just buy paint and fill it. The next few won't feel as bad , you always remember your first one.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1341 posts
1074 upvotes
Toronto
Touch up paint + add hood deflector and call it a day.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
[OP]
Jun 23, 2018
94 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal
xjesterxx wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 7:15 pm
Touch up paint + add hood deflector and call it a day.
Probably be cheaper that way lol
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1029 posts
380 upvotes
York Region
Caps1983 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 6:40 pm
Wow that expensive? It’s because of the dent right? My car is not even two months old yet and this shit happens...
I'm sure you can find cheaper than $500 but I don't think that would be a good idea. Just touch it up. The first one hurts, in a month, you won't even care. Like someone else said, get the hood defelctor to cover that up.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2018
94 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal
coriolis wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 7:01 pm
I got the front half of my hood, whole front bumper, front fender and side mirrors wrapped in a clear film shortly after buying my car. It was expensive but after two parking lot scrapes and one plow into a snow bank, the wrap has held up decently, except for the scrape which rubbed the wrap off. Not sure if it was quite worth it but there was definitely less rock chips then my last vehicle. Buying a prepainted bumper is still more expensive I suppose.

Unfortunately with driving, random rocks and debris can always hit your car. There's not much you can do, but just buy paint and fill it. The next few won't feel as bad , you always remember your first one.
I can’t stop thinking about it lol but yeah I will definitely look into that protective film.

Thanks for the info!
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1029 posts
380 upvotes
York Region
Caps1983 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 7:31 pm
I can’t stop thinking about it lol but yeah I will definitely look into that protective film.

Thanks for the info!
You are like me when damage occurs to one of my cars. Even though I got bigger issues to worry about, I will look at the dent/stone chips for days until I something with actual importance comes along.
Mar 17, 2006
480 posts
214 upvotes
Touch up paint and one of these kits Your text to link here...
Take the 950$ you save and invest it in an ETF. (you'll thank me in 15 years). I feel for you on such a new vehicle, but this is par for the course on Quebec roads in the spring. 3 rock chips on my windshield cost me two trips to Lebeau Vitres D'auto this month alone. Unless you're driving some classic car that you want to pass on to your kids, it's not worth getting this stuff fixed professionally. Get it looking as good as you can, prevent it from rusting, and move on with your life LOL
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1266 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
Lucky the rock didn’t hit your windshield.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1696 posts
448 upvotes
Mississauga
Actually windshield may be better depending on insurance and type of policy... some companies allow you 1 replacement without affecting your rates.
Jun 14, 2009
397 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Don't worry too much about the dent/chip. Touch up paint and you'll be good to go. At the size of any vehicle (even a smart car) plus the amount to rocks, salt, debris on the road, it is unavoidable. Of course it's irritating to see such pristine condition ruined, but it is a vehicle. For me, this is why I prefer to just run what used to be a brand new vehicle then into the ground. Ease the pain of these rock chips, shopping cart dings, careless door opener in malls, etc... So long as I enjoy driving my vehicle and engine is good, the rest is, for me, minute (eg paint chips that are touched up, etc). I used to want to put clear plastic coating, doing krown when it was brand new and etc... After 9 yrs, I actually am thankful I didn't bother wasting my $ on these... Just car wash bay for $3 during winters and diligently touch up rock chips and you're good... Of course, I don't really drive when it's bad snow/slush conditions but am just lucky in that front...
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2947 posts
1725 upvotes
GTA
Hood deflectors are cheap. Mine hot hit many times on QEW, but all rocks deflected over the roof. Not a single chip on the hood. For around $150 I think it was a good investment
Oct 21, 2006
316 posts
128 upvotes
what if the hood deflector deflects onto your windshield?