ROCKAUTO Has Begun Charging Tax On Shipping Fees

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2020 8:34 am
[OP]
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes

ROCKAUTO Has Begun Charging Tax On Shipping Fees

Just letting everyone know Rockauto has begun charging tax (13% in Ontario) on their shipping fees to Canada. I placed an order on the 30th and everything was normal (tax was only charged on the parts total/duty total included in the shipping), today I went to place another order and i found something odd when totaling everything up, the tax wasn't adding up correctly, after trying to figure out what was going on it finally became evident that Rockauto was/are charging tax on the shipping fees.

I realize tax is added on the shipping fees if it's within the same country/province but i'm not sure if Rockauto, who ship from the US can charge tax on shipping fees if those packages are being sent out of country.
49 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21498 posts
2299 upvotes
Can you post a copy of the order confirmation?
Jan 4, 2019
442 posts
446 upvotes
Just another reason to buy local and pay a little extra for some real customer service.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8191 posts
9125 upvotes
Vancouver
bobby621 wrote: Just letting everyone know Rockauto has begun charging tax (13% in Ontario) on their shipping fees to Canada. I placed an order on the 30th and everything was normal (tax was only charged on the parts total/duty total included in the shipping), today I went to place another order and i found something odd when totaling everything up, the tax wasn't adding up correctly, after trying to figure out what was going on it finally became evident that Rockauto was/are charging tax on the shipping fees.

I realize tax is added on the shipping fees if it's within the same country/province but i'm not sure if Rockauto, who ship from the US can charge tax on shipping fees if those packages are being sent out of country.
Yes this is normal. When importing goods you pay GST/HST on the total amount you paid, inclusive of shipping. CBSA/CRA doesn't care how much of your payment is for the shipping and how much is the actual item. You paid X amount for the item, so that's what is taxed. I put a $3.23 thermostat in, with $12.70 shipping the total is $15.93. The GST/HST added is 79¢, which is 5%; the normal tax rate for BC.

Looks like Rockauto is using a customs broker to import stuff into Canada ("If tax is identified by name (GST/HST in Canada, VAT in the EU, etc.) on your order, we will pre-pay it (and any applicable import duties) for the package to which it applies . The carrier will deliver that package with no additional charges"), so this is actually a good thing. Much better to pay Rockauto the taxes in advance than to leave it up to Fedex, who will make you pay the taxes, and then charge you brokerage fees on top of that.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21498 posts
2299 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Yes this is normal. When importing goods you pay GST/HST on the total amount you paid, inclusive of shipping. CBSA/CRA doesn't care how much of your payment is for the shipping and how much is the actual item. You paid X amount for the item, so that's what is taxed. I put a $3.23 thermostat in, with $12.70 shipping the total is $15.93. The GST/HST added is 79¢, which is 5%; the normal tax rate for BC.

Looks like Rockauto is using a customs broker to import stuff into Canada ("If tax is identified by name (GST/HST in Canada, VAT in the EU, etc.) on your order, we will pre-pay it (and any applicable import duties) for the package to which it applies . The carrier will deliver that package with no additional charges"), so this is actually a good thing. Much better to pay Rockauto the taxes in advance than to leave it up to Fedex, who will make you pay the taxes, and then charge you brokerage fees on top of that.
bobby621 wrote: Just letting everyone know Rockauto has begun charging tax (13% in Ontario) on their shipping fees to Canada. I placed an order on the 30th and everything was normal (tax was only charged on the parts total/duty total included in the shipping), today I went to place another order and i found something odd when totaling everything up, the tax wasn't adding up correctly, after trying to figure out what was going on it finally became evident that Rockauto was/are charging tax on the shipping fees.

I think I've figured out whats going on here. OP is concerned HST was charged "on shipping" which is technically correct since its part of the landed cost. However you are not directly paying "tax on shipping," otherwise you'd pay tax twice.

Tax is charged on the landed cost which includes: Parts + Shipping + Duty

Lets say we order a $10 brake part made in a non-except country and therefore duty applies:

Part: $10
Ship: $10
Duty: $2
Total import value: $22
HST on import value of $22: $2.86
Total paid to RA: $24.86

HST was not applied to the shipping charge itself, rather to the import value. HST is zero rated since its an international package.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Can you post a copy of the order confirmation?
Sure, posted.
Order was placed April 30, Subtotal for parts before the discount was $314.05.

When placing an order now you are charged tax on the full shipping fee (in my case) $56.63, an extra $7.36 added to the total.
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: Just another reason to buy local and pay a little extra for some real customer service.
I only buy local if I need a few things, if I'm buying lots of stuff I'll use Rockauto. If i were to buy everything i just ordered from Rockauto locally it would've cost me easily over $550, I compared already.
Kiraly wrote: Yes this is normal. When importing goods you pay GST/HST on the total amount you paid, inclusive of shipping. CBSA/CRA doesn't care how much of your payment is for the shipping and how much is the actual item. You paid X amount for the item, so that's what is taxed. I put a $3.23 thermostat in, with $12.70 shipping the total is $15.93. The GST/HST added is 79¢, which is 5%; the normal tax rate for BC.

When and from who did you order the thermostat from?
They just began doing this within the last few days, something must have changed on their end, I've been ordering from them for the last 10 years.
Images
  • rock1.JPG
[OP]
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: I think I've figured out whats going on here. OP is concerned HST was charged "on shipping" which is technically correct since its part of the landed cost. However you are not directly paying "tax on shipping," otherwise you'd pay tax twice.

Tax is charged on the landed cost which includes: Parts + Shipping + Duty

Lets say we order a $10 brake part made in a non-except country and therefore duty applies:

Part: $10
Ship: $10
Duty: $2
Total import value: $22
HST on import value of $22: $2.86
Total paid to RA: $24.86

HST was not applied to the shipping charge itself, rather to the import value. HST is zero rated since its an international package.
That's the way they are calculating it presently but for as long as I can remember tax was only added to the parts purchased (see the picture i posted) as well as the duty (if any). In your example tax should only apply to the $10 (brake part) and the $2 (duty on that part), tax would be $1.56. Total would be $23.56, this is the way it was being calculated as of April 30, now it has changed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8191 posts
9125 upvotes
Vancouver
bobby621 wrote: Sure, posted.
Order was placed April 30, Subtotal for parts before the discount was $314.05.

When placing an order now you are charged tax on the full shipping fee (in my case) $56.63, an extra $7.36 added to the total.

I only buy local if I need a few things, if I'm buying lots of stuff I'll use Rockauto. If i were to buy everything i just ordered from Rockauto locally it would've cost me easily over $550, I compared already.

When and from who did you order the thermostat from?
They just began doing this within the last few days, something must have changed on their end, I've been ordering from them for the last 10 years.
Never ordered from Rockauto before. Just tested it out today to see what the charges would be.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2497 posts
1177 upvotes
B.C.
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: Just another reason to buy local and pay a little extra for some real customer service.
It's going to be a lot more than a little extra compared to Rock Auto!!!!!
Oct 22, 2006
774 posts
533 upvotes
Ontario
In that image you posted OP, you didn't get charged gst on the shipping. It even says the $56.63 is non-taxable at the bottom.

You got charged $39.58 which is 13% of $304.44.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Never ordered from Rockauto before. Just tested it out today to see what the charges would be.
It makes sense to order from them only if your getting alot of stuff that you think you'll be using in the next few years, planning is a plus.
The pads i got would end up costing me easily over $30 locally, the rotors cost me $20 each, similar ones from PerfectStop cost me $45 5 years ago.
Problem is here in Canada there is no competition, while there are many parts stores around many of them sell parts at list.
I've got a Honda and every dealer has different prices, some of them charge above list, Sisley Honda (Young and Steeles) is notorious for this.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
dollarsign wrote: In that image you posted OP, you didn't get charged gst on the shipping. It even says the $56.63 is non-taxable at the bottom.

You got charged $39.58 which is 13% of $304.44.
That's my order from April 30, as of a few days ago it changed, go to the site, add in a few parts, calculate shipping and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Oct 22, 2006
774 posts
533 upvotes
Ontario
bobby621 wrote: That's my order from April 30, as of a few days ago it changed, go to the site, add in a few parts, calculate shipping and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Ya, just realized that. I tried a few parts and it appears they are taxing the delivery.
Jan 4, 2019
442 posts
446 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote: It's going to be a lot more than a little extra compared to Rock Auto!!!!!
It depends. My last order was significantly cheaper locally.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
dollarsign wrote: Ya, just realized that. I tried a few parts and it appears they are taxing the delivery.
It doesn't make a huge difference, even if you place an order and shipping is $100, that's an extra $13 on the total compared to before.
I'd like to know who is receiving that extra money, is it the Canadian government or Rockauto? I'm pretty sure Rockauto has to pay the GST/HST they collect to the Canadian government yearly, maybe this change has to do with something the Canadian government implemented in the past and has just come into effect in May, I wouldn't put it past our government to do anything to collect more tax from us.
Last edited by bobby621 on May 7th, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.