PC & Video Games

Rocket League to go free to play this summer (2020)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2020 12:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
22022 posts
34789 upvotes
ONTARIO

Rocket League to go free to play this summer (2020)

Saw this mentioned today from Rocket League.
After nearly five years, millions of players, and billions of soccar matches played, it's time to talk about the next chapter of Rocket League. The game wouldn't be where it is today without our dedicated and amazing community. Today, we're excited to announce that we're gearing up to make that community even bigger. Beginning later this summer, Rocket League is going free to play!

What does this mean for the Rocket League gameplay you know and love? The core gameplay will remain the same, but we are refining the main menus to make exploring the game easier. Plus, we’re revamping and improving major features like Tournaments and Challenges, and introducing cross-platform progression! Rocket League action on the field will still be the same core, high-octane hybrid of sports and action you love today, and soon, even more players will share that love. That begins with Rocket League's release on its newest platform: the Epic Games Store.

Rocket League will release on the Epic Games Store on PC the same time it goes free to play. This version of the game will be identical to the version found on other platforms, and will feature cross-platform play anywhere you play Rocket League, including between the Epic Games Store and Steam.
Read the full news post here:

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/rocke ... is-summer/
18 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10452 posts
4680 upvotes
Rocket League used to have blindly bought mystery loot crates as microtransaction purchases but now all the microtransactions are for cosmetic items
that tell you upfront what they cost beforehand. The downside is that the cosmetic items on their own end up being priced
higher than the mystery loot crates.

These are purely optional of course.
Last edited by XFactor11 on Jul 22nd, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9378 posts
6755 upvotes
Toronto
That's great news for people who have never played it. This is my most played game of the generation by literally hundreds of hours. Maybe even my most played game of all time as where other games get replaced by sequels, I've kept coming back tot his game between others for 4-5 years now
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6283 posts
6582 upvotes
GTA
ReeGee wrote: That's great news for people who have never played it. This is my most played game of the generation by literally hundreds of hours. Maybe even my most played game of all time as where other games get replaced by sequels, I've kept coming back tot his game between others for 4-5 years now
The game itself is a sequel. I own Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battlecars on PS3, the original version of this game. I even played against the devs online once, they were a nice bunch and very grateful for people who bought the game. I'd finally pick this up if it was free just to relive old memories.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9378 posts
6755 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: The game itself is a sequel. I own Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battlecars on PS3, the original version of this game. I even played against the devs online once, they were a nice bunch and very grateful for people who bought the game. I'd finally pick this up if it was free just to relive old memories.
crazy I never heard of that game before now and looking it up I found a lot of comments saying the same. It looks like it wasn't well known because it was PS3 exclusive. Interesting that they went from that to one of the best examples of well functioning cross platform multiplayer
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6283 posts
6582 upvotes
GTA
ReeGee wrote: crazy I never heard of that game before now and looking it up I found a lot of comments saying the same. It looks like it wasn't well known because it was PS3 exclusive. Interesting that they went from that to one of the best examples of well functioning cross platform multiplayer
Yeah that is crazy, I guess they tested their original concept exclusively to PS3 first. And thankfully they changed the name, I must admit it is a terrible one compared to Rocket League. It's a funny name, but also made it difficult to communicate to people how cool the game was.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10452 posts
4680 upvotes
Rocket League was given away for free at launch on PS+ back in July of 2015
and most people there were complaining it was a low budget game, and never heard of the previous game.

topic:
july-ps-games-1763263/2/

This poster in that old thread remembers the old 2008 PS3 game back then:
Talick wrote: Rocket League is the follow up to the criminally underrated 2008 release "Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars". The game was the only game that my friends and I had no contest to playing on a regular basis. Because it had splitscreen online multiplayer, it was a great pickup game to have a conversation over and to just have mindless fun. If you got good at it, you could actually play it seriously like a sport (pull off skilled trick shots, get a passing game going, forecheck/backcheck/organize defense). The only flaw about the game was its limited amount of maps and customization options IMO. Rocket League looks like it will be deeper in every way.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... attle-cars

As for Rocket Leauge I don't find it that exciting. I much rather play real soccer outside with people than modified soccer with
cars in a video game.

Videogamedunkey recently did a video on his rocketleauge highlights:

Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3159 posts
228 upvotes
Newmarket
Good luck to late adopters. Unless they changed the skill based matchmaking mechanics...my issue was that my wife and I would dump a ton of time to playing (to have fun) but they would level you up based on the amount of games played + wins. Even if you weren't contributing (more often then not was the case). So I ended up hitting a tier I should never have been in and it made it next to impossible to compete. Face co-ordinated teams that would never let the ball hit the ground was frustrating. Then you would see your team drop and be replaced by garbage bots.
Click Here to check my HOFO Feedback
Ebay Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9378 posts
6755 upvotes
Toronto
I personally never had issues with the matchmaking and feel it's the most fair and well functioning matchmaking I've ever seen in a MP game which is a big reason I've stuck with it for so long. I do occasionally get put in lobbies with people who clearly play competitive at a very high level but that's maybe 1 out of every 10 games I play if that but 90% of the time I'm matched and having razor close games with people at the same skill level. Mind you this is in casual matchmaking and I never play competitive and don't recommend competitive mode ever.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5622 posts
2688 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: I personally never had issues with the matchmaking and feel it's the most fair and well functioning matchmaking I've ever seen in a MP game which is a big reason I've stuck with it for so long. I do occasionally get put in lobbies with people who clearly play competitive at a very high level but that's maybe 1 out of every 10 games I play if that but 90% of the time I'm matched and having razor close games with people at the same skill level. Mind you this is in casual matchmaking and I never play competitive and don't recommend competitive mode ever.
lol once I see people juggling the ball and doing aerials, I know I'm out of my league
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9378 posts
6755 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: lol once I see people juggling the ball and doing aerials, I know I'm out of my league
yup hundreds of hours of playtime and I can certainly hit the ball high up in the air but not with any real calculated accuracy and I certainly can't juggle in the air. That's the beauty of this game though, super easy to start playing and have fun but insanely high skill ceiling where you never stop improving and something new clicks every 50-100 hours.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
1022 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
Shiznacka wrote: Good luck to late adopters. Unless they changed the skill based matchmaking mechanics...my issue was that my wife and I would dump a ton of time to playing (to have fun) but they would level you up based on the amount of games played + wins. Even if you weren't contributing (more often then not was the case). So I ended up hitting a tier I should never have been in and it made it next to impossible to compete. Face co-ordinated teams that would never let the ball hit the ground was frustrating. Then you would see your team drop and be replaced by garbage bots.
Only casual modes get filled with bots and I think the match making in those modes are random. The actual competitive modes have a proper MMR system in place. Casual mode has a good chance of grand champs going in just to practice when they're tired of practicing their air dribbles alone. Competitive 2v2s should be pretty fun/reflective of your skill level if you play with a fixed long term partner.
Participant in:
Zoomer Wireless - 2 year $36/month for 2GB LTE (Now 4GB Loyalty after 6 months)
Microsoft Price Error - ASUS TUF FX505DT-UB52
40" 4K Samsung TV Monitor User
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9378 posts
6755 upvotes
Toronto
morpheus_1987 wrote: Only casual modes get filled with bots and I think the match making in those modes are random. The actual competitive modes have a proper MMR system in place. Casual mode has a good chance of grand champs going in just to practice when they're tired of practicing their air dribbles alone. Competitive 2v2s should be pretty fun/reflective of your skill level if you play with a fixed long term partner.
Casual match making isn't random nor will new players ever get matched against grand champs. There's an invisible rating system behind casual that keeps noobs playing with other noobs and while it's slightly less strict than the competitive medal system you typically won't get matched with people way above your skill level outside of rare situations where a high level player is playing casual from a new platform or profile.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3159 posts
228 upvotes
Newmarket
ReeGee wrote: Casual match making isn't random nor will new players ever get matched against grand champs. There's an invisible rating system behind casual that keeps noobs playing with other noobs and while it's slightly less strict than the competitive medal system you typically won't get matched with people way above your skill level outside of rare situations where a high level player is playing casual from a new platform or profile.
I haven't played in years so maybe it has changed but when it was free back in 2015 I believe that's when I started playing. I just felt at that time the skill level was insane for me as a casual player. I had a couple games where the enemy continuously scored right as the ball dropped. They would have a train where the first guy would speed and pop the ball up following by the guy in the rear who would superman it. I'm not sure if I still have the recording but we were rocked to say the least lol. I also found a lot of people I'd play against were spending some pretty big money on it as all the cars they had were the DLC ones (batman, fast and furious, etc). I'll have to hop in again soon to see.

**EDIT**

Looks like I was playing ranked a bit back then (bad memory I guess): https://rocketleague.tracker.network/pr ... /YoshiiZee
Ebay Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9378 posts
6755 upvotes
Toronto
Shiznacka wrote: I haven't played in years so maybe it has changed but when it was free back in 2015 I believe that's when I started playing. I just felt at that time the skill level was insane for me as a casual player. I had a couple games where the enemy continuously scored right as the ball dropped. They would have a train where the first guy would speed and pop the ball up following by the guy in the rear who would superman it. I'm not sure if I still have the recording but we were rocked to say the least lol. I also found a lot of people I'd play against were spending some pretty big money on it as all the cars they had were the DLC ones (batman, fast and furious, etc). I'll have to hop in again soon to see.

**EDIT**

Looks like I was playing ranked a bit back then (bad memory I guess): https://rocketleague.tracker.network/pr ... /YoshiiZee
I mean maybe it was easier to rank up back then but if you made it to Gold division with hundreds of games played that's hardly "casual" anymore at that point lol. It sounds like you simply hit a wall in competitive where the next level up were simply better than you and it would've taken some more practice and better teamwork to be compete. Generally speaking being outmatched like that isn't an issue in casual playlists. Also the DLC is entirely cosmetic and has no impact on game balance which is another reason I love this game.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3159 posts
228 upvotes
Newmarket
ReeGee wrote: I mean maybe it was easier to rank up back then but if you made it to Gold division with hundreds of games played that's hardly "casual" anymore at that point lol. It sounds like you simply hit a wall in competitive where the next level up were simply better than you and it would've taken some more practice and better teamwork to be compete. Generally speaking being outmatched like that isn't an issue in casual playlists. Also the DLC is entirely cosmetic and has no impact on game balance which is another reason I love this game.
You sure...I know the majority of it is cosmetic, but I could have sworn there are some benefits to some of the vehicles. I usually enjoyed the old chevy van but it was generally slower and easier to drive/control vs some of the pocket rockets. I'm 99% sure some of the vehicles had better stats. Maybe not anymore
Ebay Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9378 posts
6755 upvotes
Toronto
Shiznacka wrote: You sure...I know the majority of it is cosmetic, but I could have sworn there are some benefits to some of the vehicles. I usually enjoyed the old chevy van but it was generally slower and easier to drive/control vs some of the pocket rockets. I'm 99% sure some of the vehicles had better stats. Maybe not anymore
The included vehicles have slightly different hitboxes and stats but no one is necessarily "better" than the other and the DLC cars are basically just remodels and reskins of those included cars. The DLC cars aren't necessary in any way and don't provide any real advantage over the included cars.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3159 posts
228 upvotes
Newmarket
ReeGee wrote: The included vehicles have slightly different hitboxes and stats but no one is necessarily "better" than the other and the DLC cars are basically just remodels and reskins of those included cars. The DLC cars aren't necessary in any way and don't provide any real advantage over the included cars.
Good to know...maybe it was just in my head, but there was always a slick car (looked like a slimlined Ferrari or Lambo which all the "Pro's" had which was only a DLC model. But maybe it was just the hit boxes were better for them to do the "Spinny / Flippy" shots lol. All this talk wants me to boot it up.
Ebay Feedback