PC & Video Games

Rockstar Games Parent company Take-Two will release a remastered or remake version of GTA SA, GTA Vice City and GTA 3.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2021 8:41 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5693 posts
3900 upvotes

Rockstar Games Parent company Take-Two will release a remastered or remake version of GTA SA, GTA Vice City and GTA 3.

Rockstar Games will release a remastered version of GTA San Andreas, GTA Vice City and GTA 3.
This was said by Mach1Bug on a thread on GTA forums. While responding to a fan saying that the three games would not be remastered, he said:

"All 3 are gonna be remakes. Ya gotta remember that they have a solid amount of the content already created in Gtao. Like many of the cars."

He also said that the remakes will be built using the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine which was used to develop GTA V and GTA Online.

When asked about a possible release date for the remakes, Mach1Bud replied: "Id say a good month is this month if they want to get a good advertising run up to release for the GTA III anniversary.

"I suspect they will announce while the GTAO Tuners Update is fresh in everyone's mind and a lot more eyes are on R*."

He also mentioned that the remakes will look better than GTA V but not as good as Red Dead Redemption 2.

While Mach1Bud has said that whatever he has said is speculation, he is among the most respected members on GTA Forums so his statements cannot exactly be taken lightly.

San Andreas, Vice City and GTA 3 are three of the finest video games released by Rockstar and there were rumours several months back that the remakes of all 3 would come out.

An official announcement hasn't come out yet but we can hope that it won't be long.

Gamers all around the world enjoyed San Andreas, Vice City and GTA 3 and would undoubtedly love to see remakes being developed for modern-day consoles.

Given the popularity of the originals, the remastered versions would certainly be successes from a commercial standpoint.

We can now only wait and hope that within the upcoming months, Rockstar Games will announce the remakes.
Found this picture on Twitter, I don’t believe it’s official artwork from Rockstar though:

Last edited by TheSlav on Aug 13th, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1292 posts
1020 upvotes
Ottawa
If they have all the songs for Vice City...

Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
8913 posts
10037 upvotes
Toronto
CFRTim wrote: Image
Come on man. That meme's reserved for SportChek discount threads!
Aug 20, 2009
9159 posts
4506 upvotes
GTA3 had some crazy emergent gameplay and doesn't get enough credit. You could really go off the rails and complete missions in really cool ways. I have no idea what a remaster would look like though, that game would need so much love to bring it to a modern standard.

Vice City was neat but it was also the start of the Rockstar Rails experience where everything is guided almost to the point of absurdity.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7202 posts
8913 upvotes
Scarbs
I wonder if we can swim in the remakes lol
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1292 posts
1020 upvotes
Ottawa
Or, if the cheat codes will still work so I can keep a tank parked in my VC garage...
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2464 posts
2917 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: GTA3 had some crazy emergent gameplay and doesn't get enough credit. You could really go off the rails and complete missions in really cool ways.
Holy shit that takes me back. I dunno if it was just me, but I still remember how in one of the earlier missions for 3 when you are asked to kill the Chinatown mob captain, you could figure out which one was his getaway car, drive it over to 8-Ball's to have it rigged with a bomb, then drive it back to where you found it. Then you can just go into the actual mission area, fire a few wild shots over his head and leave once he starts running away. The distant explosion and Mission Completed message was so, so satisfying. Looking back on it, the well planned mob hit is almost Hitman-esque in how it plays out.

Frankly I don't even think the devs intended for it back then. They basically had no rules of engagement, probably owing to the fact that nobody really had any experience with open world games yet, and you end up all the better for it.
Bored...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5693 posts
3900 upvotes
jayoldschool wrote: If they have all the songs for Vice City...

Literally this, I want to experience it in an UHD remake!
Redmask wrote: GTA3 had some crazy emergent gameplay and doesn't get enough credit. You could really go off the rails and complete missions in really cool ways. I have no idea what a remaster would look like though, that game would need so much love to bring it to a modern standard.

Vice City was neat but it was also the start of the Rockstar Rails experience where everything is guided almost to the point of absurdity.
Funny enough, GTA 3 was my least favourite lol. I just couldn’t get into it. It seemed to bleak to me compared to VC and SA.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
2388 posts
1669 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Based on the Kotaku article and leaks, it sounds/looks like these releases will be remasters, a mix of old and new graphics, done in Unreal Engine.
Aug 16, 2010
152 posts
30 upvotes
I replayed and beat all 3 games on Ipad.

Would totally do that again on PS5 if the new graphics are beefy enough.

Some of the missions were needlessly crazy hard. So hopefully they refine some of the controls with regards to planes.

It's really too bad they got lazy and never bothered with DLC story for GTA V, which I consider to be the best out of all of them.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10441 posts
4668 upvotes
There was swimming in every GTA Game since GTA San Andreas. The mute protagonist from GTA 3 and Tommy Vercetti are the ones that die
if they touch water.

aeba7 wrote: I wonder if we can swim in the remakes lol

The DLC story missions are in GTA V online. Many of the good missions in GTA Online are better than the best ones in the main game.

kor001 wrote: I replayed and beat all 3 games on Ipad.

Would totally do that again on PS5 if the new graphics are beefy enough.

Some of the missions were needlessly crazy hard. So hopefully they refine some of the controls with regards to planes.

It's really too bad they got lazy and never bothered with DLC story for GTA V, which I consider to be the best out of all of them.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Is it’s safe to say they were working on this all this time when fans were clamming for a gta6? Seems like it’s inevitable a 6 will appear at some point but it may be delayed even longer since they will release these games in the interim.

Mafia remastered was brilliant and they did a lot of the stuff from the ground up. If it’s anything like that we’re in for a treat. To me it is like a brand new fame with the old story and characters taken verbatim but development wise it’s pretty intensive. Hope to get it soon.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Niklasky wrote: Based on the Kotaku article and leaks, it sounds/looks like these releases will be remasters, a mix of old and new graphics, done in Unreal Engine.
What does old and new mean? They said mafia 2 was remastered but videos showing them didn’t show any differences at a glance. I’d it’s like that then we would be disappointed. They also didn’t charge for the remaster so it makes sense it wasn’t that big of an investment from their end.

Can’t wait for some screens to leak.
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12731 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
is GTA3, the one you play from sky view?
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6269 posts
6565 upvotes
GTA
Aznkid2000 wrote: is GTA3, the one you play from sky view?
No that's 1 & 2. GTA3 was fully 3D game and revolutionary for its time.
c'mon get happy!