Expired Hot Deals

Rockstar

Hot! Red Dead Redemption 2 Story Mode - $4.80 USD (Reg $39.99 USD)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2022 2:48 pm
Aug 11, 2014
865 posts
939 upvotes
SmoothVelvetSlav wrote: well i just tried this and my rockstar is linked with my epic and it wont let me install single player only

i followed the steps.

after uninstalling from epic moving and deleting the .egstore folder and going to install in rockstar, i only get the option "buy rdr2 online"

did i do something wrong? or is it patched?
For everyone who is having this issue, I'm curious what it says on your email receipt from Rockstar?

Is it "Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode" or is it "Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode - EPIC"?

Because if it's the latter (says EPIC), then it looks like they did in fact patch/change how it works on their system backend. It initially did not say EPIC on the receipt/product.
Dec 22, 2021
2 posts
I do not see those prices on any of the sites.
On Epic the online version is $22.49 and RDR2 is $39.99.
On Rockstar the online version is $20.49 and RDR2 is $26.99.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4043 posts
903 upvotes
3express wrote: For everyone who is having this issue, I'm curious what it says on your email receipt from Rockstar?

Is it "Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode" or is it "Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode - EPIC"?

Because if it's the latter (says EPIC), then it looks like they did in fact patch/change how it works on their system backend. It initially did not say EPIC on the receipt/product.
I don't think I have the issue and it says "Purchase description Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode" on my Xsolla receipt.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
2565 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
Why are some uninstalling the online on Epic? I think the instruction said to rename the folder ( on mine it was installed D:\RedDeadRedemption2 and I just changed it to D:\Red Dead Redemption 2 and don't forget to exit Epic store and Rockstar before doing so ) after refunding on Epic then delete the .egs sub folder on that main folder.

Once it's renamed both Epic and Rockstar will not see the folder and it will indicate on both that installation is available. Don't even need to move the folder to another drive and don't need to redownload 122Gb of the story mode, at least in my case.

Goodluck.
Stuff for sale/trade/wtb
Computer Stuff
My Heatware
Ebay
Dec 30, 2009
202 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal
Steps from Rebellium rockstar-hot-red-dead-redemption-2-stor ... #p35466400 worked perfectly a couple of days ago. No need to re-download all the assets again, so the game takes a total of 120ish GB.

To make sure things still work, I renamed the folder today to something else, and the launcher doesn't see it anymore (obviously), but it still gives me the option to install it. I rename it back and point towards the base folder again and rockstar launcher just re-verifies everything and the game works.

Only thing I'm not sure about is if I uninstall the game, will the launcher allow me to reinstall at a later date if RDR online is refunded.
Oct 13, 2014
332 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto
Sirakoz wrote: Steps from Rebellium rockstar-hot-red-dead-redemption-2-stor ... #p35466400 worked perfectly a couple of days ago. No need to re-download all the assets again, so the game takes a total of 120ish GB.

To make sure things still work, I renamed the folder today to something else, and the launcher doesn't see it anymore (obviously), but it still gives me the option to install it. I rename it back and point towards the base folder again and rockstar launcher just re-verifies everything and the game works.

Only thing I'm not sure about is if I uninstall the game, will the launcher allow me to reinstall at a later date if RDR online is refunded.
Same question. I've got new laptop on the way and wondering if I will be able to install there if I've already purchased now while refunding red dead online.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1419 posts
1420 upvotes
Airdrie
I think those who are having issues are doing something incorrectly.

Follow the folder renaming guide linked above. Don't uninstall anything. The only thing you delete is one tiny ".egstore" folder inside the Red Dead directory. Then change the name back and Rockstar verifies the game files in a few minutes and the game is good to go.

Receipt says:

XSOLLA *ROCKSTAR Purchase Dec 21, 2021 3:45 PM $6.36
JLu416 wrote: Same question. I've got new laptop on the way and wondering if I will be able to install there if I've already purchased now while refunding red dead online.
I don't think anyone can say with certainty. But I have all the options to manage the game in my Rockstar Launcher such as uninstall and move game files. You should be able to simply copy the game files over if you have a portable drive to the new computer. Or one you install Rockstar launcher you should be able to install via re downloading the whole 120gb.
Rockstar.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5119 posts
4547 upvotes
Toronto
mcwilly wrote: I think those who are having issues are doing something incorrectly.

Follow the folder renaming guide linked above. Don't uninstall anything. The only thing you delete is one tiny ".egstore" folder inside the Red Dead directory. Then change the name back and Rockstar verifies the game files in a few minutes and the game is good to go.

Receipt says:

XSOLLA *ROCKSTAR Purchase Dec 21, 2021 3:45 PM $6.36

I don't think anyone can say with certainty. But I have all the options to manage the game in my Rockstar Launcher such as uninstall and move game files. You should be able to simply copy the game files over if you have a portable drive to the new computer. Or one you install Rockstar launcher you should be able to install via re downloading the whole 120gb.

Rockstar.jpg
Also just a FYI for anyone who paid for this deal with Paypal, keep in mind that automatic payments are setup to Xsolla and Epic for future purchases, so if you don't want them there, you should remove them from your Paypal profile.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1419 posts
1420 upvotes
Airdrie
griffy wrote: Worked for me I think? I bought the online mode for 8 dollars and was able to purchase the story for 6 something. The story mode isn't recognized though and I have a PayPal receipt saying I was charged for the story mode. Any ideas how I can get the story mode working?
jacky190424 wrote: I paid the story mode already but why after launching the game still asking me to purchase the story mode?
If you want to keep both the online and the story mode the slickdeals thread said you had to have both installed. Due to Rockstar splitting the game into two parts, you would have to download the 120gb for online mode and the 120gb for story mode and keep 240gb on your drive.

This is why it makes sense to refund and follow these steps. Which allows Rockstar launcher to verify the 120gb you downloaded for online mode and use it for story mode.

Can anyone that kept both confirm what slickdeals says about having to download the 120gb twice?
Feb 15, 2012
12 posts
9 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
Real_GM wrote: Nice. thanks.

See, if you price your game right, no one is going to pirate it.. cough FF7Remake PC cough
Lol 4.80$ is not "pricing it right" it's a ridiculous good sale price :P Please don't encourage hacking.
Apr 23, 2015
281 posts
332 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
SmoothVelvetSlav wrote: well i just tried this and my rockstar is linked with my epic and it wont let me install single player only

i followed the steps.

after uninstalling from epic moving and deleting the .egstore folder and going to install in rockstar, i only get the option "buy rdr2 online"

did i do something wrong? or is it patched?
I think everyone is having this experience now. Workaround is patched, and I suspect that people that refunded the online will eventually have to rebuy it.
May 4, 2016
51 posts
14 upvotes
Thanks for the deal. However I have an issue, I do not see the Single Player game appearing in the Rockstar Launcher. Any tips on how to fix this ?

I even restarted my PC.
Apr 23, 2015
105 posts
51 upvotes
Niitro wrote: Thanks for the deal. However I have an issue, I do not see the Single Player game appearing in the Rockstar Launcher. Any tips on how to fix this ?

I even restarted my PC.
Follow all the instructions in the thread summary. You'll need to unlink the rockstar installation from the epic installation and the summary explains how.
Jan 12, 2007
273 posts
62 upvotes
poorwingman wrote: I don't think I have the issue and it says "Purchase description Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode" on my Xsolla receipt.
This is exactly on my receipt:
"Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode - EPIC"

So it's likely patched to be linked I believe. No response from Rockstar support yet.
May 4, 2016
51 posts
14 upvotes
Rebellium wrote: Follow all the instructions in the thread summary. You'll need to unlink the rockstar installation from the epic installation and the summary explains how.
I followed the steps (except refund). As Astroblue said above, the process is likely patched. I still have both online and story on Epic for ~17$ CAD which is a great deal !
Apr 23, 2015
105 posts
51 upvotes
Interesting, I guess they finally caught on. I'll need to rockstar launcher later today to see if that's working still. If it is, I guess the people who managed to install the game while the bug was present can keep that still on their PCs.

EDIT:

I just downloaded rockstar launcher on my second PC and I can install the game just fine. So I'm assuming it should be okay.
Jul 23, 2006
48 posts
25 upvotes
I think they've fixed it from downloading the game twice. I just bought the game and did the following:
1. Download the 122GB from Epic.
2. Load the game and went to buy the Story.
3. Exited the game and closed all launchers
4. I tried following the instructions posted here but the Rockstar launcher didn't even recognize I bought any RDR2 so I moved everything back to the way it should be (back to same install location, default folder name, restored .egstore folder).
5. Loaded up Epic launcher and launched the game. Story mode was available to play.

Seems like now the rockstar launcher can't recognize the RDR2 license unless the RDR2 folder is in the exact location where the Epic launcher installed it. So with my version if I decided to start the game from the rockstar launcher directly (install folders unmodified), it will launch epic launcher first before loading the game.

Thanks OP for the deal.
May 4, 2016
51 posts
14 upvotes
ubi21 wrote: I think they've fixed it from downloading the game twice. I just bought the game and did the following:
1. Download the 122GB from Epic.
2. Load the game and went to buy the Story.
3. Exited the game and closed all launchers
4. I tried following the instructions posted here but the Rockstar launcher didn't even recognize I bought any RDR2 so I moved everything back to the way it should be (back to same install location, default folder name, restored .egstore folder).
5. Loaded up Epic launcher and launched the game. Story mode was available to play.

Seems like now the rockstar launcher can't recognize the RDR2 license unless the RDR2 folder is in the exact location where the Epic launcher installed it. So with my version if I decided to start the game from the rockstar launcher directly (install folders unmodified), it will launch epic launcher first before loading the game.

Thanks OP for the deal.
But you did not refund right ? You got still Online and Story ?
Jul 23, 2006
48 posts
25 upvotes
Niitro wrote: But you did not refund right ? You got still Online and Story ?
Correct, no refund. Have both online and story which is all accessible via epic launcher.