Expired Hot Deals

Rockstar

Hot! Red Dead Redemption 2 Story Mode - $4.80 USD (Reg $39.99 USD)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2022 2:48 pm
Sr. Member
Aug 11, 2014
868 posts
964 upvotes
3express wrote: For everyone who is having this issue, I'm curious what it says on your email receipt from Rockstar?

Is it "Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode" or is it "Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode - EPIC"?

Because if it's the latter (says EPIC), then it looks like they did in fact patch/change how it works on their system backend. It initially did not say EPIC on the receipt/product.
poorwingman wrote:
I don't think I have the issue and it says "Purchase description Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode" on my Xsolla receipt.
3express wrote: For everyone who is having this issue, I'm curious what it says on your email receipt from Rockstar?

Is it "Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode" or is it "Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode - EPIC"?

Because if it's the latter (says EPIC), then it looks like they did in fact patch/change how it works on their system backend. It initially did not say EPIC on the receipt/product.
poorwingman wrote:
I don't think I have the issue and it says "Purchase description Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode" on my Xsolla receipt.
Rebellium wrote: Interesting, I guess they finally caught on. I'll need to rockstar launcher later today to see if that's working still. If it is, I guess the people who managed to install the game while the bug was present can keep that still on their PCs.

EDIT:

I just downloaded rockstar launcher on my second PC and I can install the game just fine. So I'm assuming it should be okay.
****** EVERYONE READ THIS POST ******

After reading every single darn comment in this thread and the Slickdeals thread, I have the final answer to the issues for this deal.

If you bought story mode and your receipt from Rockstar says "Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode" then the original instructions apply for you.


If your receipt says "Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode - EPIC" then read below!!!

Rockstar changed/patched the way story mode and online mode are linked from Epic to Rockstar in order to convenience buyers. You are no longer forced to download 120 GB twice (or have to move directories) to have both online and story modes available to play.

The side effect of this change/patch is that now you MUST use both Epic and Rockstar simultaneously in order to play either story or online mode. The old instructions on how to just have it on Rockstar do NOT apply to you any more.

I want to reiterate, if your receipt says "Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode - EPIC", then you must keep both online mode in Epic and story mode in Rockstar, and then both launchers will need to be running in order for you to play either portion of the game!

PS: Let me know if I should put this in the Thread Summary.
Edit: Looks like someone already wrote an update in the thread summary.
Last edited by 3express on Dec 23rd, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Apr 23, 2015
105 posts
51 upvotes
Might as well add it to the thread summary. It seems like they've finally patched the bug.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2007
1012 posts
324 upvotes
GTA
Yep, and before you purchase, it definitely says "EPIC".
bah.

Image
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2017
1403 posts
1194 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
Man, so much stressing out over not getting, what, $7 ish back on a game like this? Yeesh.
Can you spare some cutter, me brother?
Sr. Member
Aug 11, 2014
868 posts
964 upvotes
OutsideYourWorld wrote: Man, so much stressing out over not getting, what, $7 ish back on a game like this? Yeesh.
It wasn't about the refund for some people here, some people just want to launch the game from a single launcher, hence in the beginning it was a good way to have the game only in the Rockstar launcher while discarding Epic.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2017
1403 posts
1194 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
3express wrote: It wasn't about the refund for some people here, some people just want to launch the game from a single launcher, hence in the beginning it was a good way to have the game only in the Rockstar launcher while discarding Epic.
Yea that much is annoying, but I figured it was like that with all the epic games and if they had launchers? I just accepted that ****, myself.
Can you spare some cutter, me brother?
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2007
1012 posts
324 upvotes
GTA
OutsideYourWorld wrote: Yea that much is annoying, but I figured it was like that with all the epic games and if they had launchers? I just accepted that ****, myself.
to each their own. I'd have paid the $9+$7 to have it on steam, and kept it.
But I'm not keeping any paid titles on Epic. No biggie, it would just be added to the backlog anyway.
Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
87 posts
36 upvotes
Montreal
oldskool75 wrote: But I'm not keeping any paid titles on Epic.
I'm not familiar with all the game providers. Is something wrong with epic?
Jr. Member
Apr 23, 2015
105 posts
51 upvotes
dsbmac wrote: I'm not familiar with all the game providers. Is something wrong with epic?
People hate epic because they are using an aggressive set of practises to take market share from steam. They also don't like the fact that epic's store lacks some of the features present in steam (user reviews, forums, workshop) etc. Some of that criticism is understandable but a large part of it is just baseless hating. I've never had to rely on steam reviews, forums etc. so using Epic really is not a big deal. It helps quite a bit that games on epic are often times significantly cheaper than steam so there is no reason to spend more on a platform whose features I'll never use.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 4, 2006
4046 posts
903 upvotes
aZian_ wrote: Um...so can we still do the refund?
I think the answer depends on what your rockstar invoice says
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
9059 posts
836 upvotes
Toronto
Alright red alert.

Loading up rockstar launcher and now it's saying I don't have Red Dead Online and can't load up the story mode.

Blah

EDIT: Not waiting for support. Rebuying online mode for 9 bucks. Let's hope it works
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 4, 2006
4046 posts
903 upvotes
CHINAdeals wrote: Alright red alert.

Loading up rockstar launcher and now it's saying I don't have Red Dead Online and can't load up the story mode.

Blah

EDIT: Not waiting for support. Rebuying online mode for 9 bucks. Let's hope it works
What did your original rockstar invoice say?
Member
Feb 28, 2006
440 posts
358 upvotes
Rebellium wrote: People hate epic because they are using an aggressive set of practises to take market share from steam. They also don't like the fact that epic's store lacks some of the features present in steam (user reviews, forums, workshop) etc. Some of that criticism is understandable but a large part of it is just baseless hating. I've never had to rely on steam reviews, forums etc. so using Epic really is not a big deal. It helps quite a bit that games on epic are often times significantly cheaper than steam so there is no reason to spend more on a platform whose features I'll never use.
To be fair, Steam takes a 30% cut (similar to consoles), and that's a lot. It likely inflates the prices of games and puts stronger pressure on the smaller indie developers. Epic is trying to compete and break that monopoly, and they take a much smaller cut at 12%, I think a lot of the hate they get is not justified. Granted some of their tactics are perhaps too aggressive, but it's hard to blame them when it's really difficult to break into a market with a monopoly. Valve really succeeded with their PR by being consumer friendly despite having a near-monopoly, which is rare.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
9059 posts
836 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote: What did your original rockstar invoice say?
Purchase description Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode
Merchant Xsolla

Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode CA$6.36

Doesn't mention EPIC
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
3296 posts
633 upvotes
Vancouver
quantized light wrote: To be fair, Steam takes a 30% cut (similar to consoles), and that's a lot. It likely inflates the prices of games and puts stronger pressure on the smaller indie developers. Epic is trying to compete and break that monopoly, and they take a much smaller cut at 12%, I think a lot of the hate they get is not justified. Granted some of their tactics are perhaps too aggressive, but it's hard to blame them when it's really difficult to break into a market with a monopoly. Valve really succeeded with their PR by being consumer friendly despite having a near-monopoly, which is rare.
All AAA titles, and the really successful Indy titles, only have to pay 20% after they reach 10 million in sales.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 4, 2006
4046 posts
903 upvotes
CHINAdeals wrote: Purchase description Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode
Merchant Xsolla

Red Dead Redemption 2: Story Mode CA$6.36

Doesn't mention EPIC
uh oh! i haven't played in a few days. better check it out t onight
Member
Feb 28, 2006
440 posts
358 upvotes
BoxsterS wrote: All AAA titles, and the really successful Indy titles, only have to pay 20% after they reach 10 million in sales.
Well it's the small devs that needs it most. The big ones obviously has more clout, but 20% is still too high for them, that's why the big publishers made their own stores.
Jr. Member
Apr 23, 2015
105 posts
51 upvotes
CHINAdeals wrote: Alright red alert.

Loading up rockstar launcher and now it's saying I don't have Red Dead Online and can't load up the story mode.

Blah

EDIT: Not waiting for support. Rebuying online mode for 9 bucks. Let's hope it works
Mine still seems to be working. When did you buy the story mode?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
9059 posts
836 upvotes
Toronto
Rebellium wrote: Mine still seems to be working. When did you buy the story mode?
Few hours after the deal was posted. I was due for a full reinstall anyways. Was having trouble with the Rockstar launcher bugging out after it quit the game.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)