• Jul 5th, 2020 10:35 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 16, 2017
55 posts
32 upvotes

Rodent proofing a deck

My neighbour alerted me of a rat she's seen going between our yards, and yesterday when I checked the side of my deck I noticed a hole from a critter burrowing underneath. The deck is elevated 1ft from the ground and closed on all sides, on the side is crushed stone at ground level. We did put an additional piece of deck board a few inches below ground level along the side to prevent this from happening, but appears this was not sufficient.

I bought a roll of wire mesh with a 1/4"x1/4" weave to run along the deck, my question is what is the best way to do this?

1. Cut the mesh into 6" wide strips and run it along the surface of the crushed stone and bury it with more stone. This should prevent the rat from digging down from the surface level.
2. Cut the mesh into longer strips (10"?) and run it down the side of the deck into the ground, leaving some exposed above the ground level and staple it to the side of the deck.

Any advice is much appreciated.
8 replies
[OP]
Nov 16, 2017
55 posts
32 upvotes
Thanks but I can't be sure it's only one. I'm looking for a solution that will prevent this from happening in the future.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2017
55 posts
32 upvotes
I'm not focused on killing the rat(s), just preventing them from getting under my deck. We live in a townhouse condo a few hundred meters away from a shopping plaza, the rats are coming from there because of the industrial garbage bins. There are bait stations around the property and I will sprinkle poison outside my fence and in the cracks between deck boards. I want them to stop getting under my deck.

Has anyone tried the wire mesh method to prevent rodents from burrowing, and if so which method for installing it worked best?
Apr 30, 2013
825 posts
498 upvotes
King City
Go 1 ft deep and 2 ft out. Happy digging.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1440 posts
769 upvotes
TORONTO
I had skunks that were coming from my neighbours yard. Dug about 6" trench along the bottom of the fence dividing us. Put chicken wire and put the soil back. Sealed all areas where they could possible come in. No more skunks and my dog and my wife thank me for this.
Because the last time my dog got sprayed he ran through the house. Worst week ever!

So get a digging. But from what I hear rats can chew through almost anything.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2017
55 posts
32 upvotes
akswun wrote: I had skunks that were coming from my neighbours yard. Dug about 6" trench along the bottom of the fence dividing us. Put chicken wire and put the soil back. Sealed all areas where they could possible come in. No more skunks and my dog and my wife thank me for this.
Because the last time my dog got sprayed he ran through the house. Worst week ever!

So get a digging. But from what I hear rats can chew through almost anything.
Thanks, this is what I had in mind as well.

I've attached a picture of where the rat is getting under. It looks like the deck board at the side barely goes deeper the surface of the screening, so that area definitely needs to be built up. I tried build up wherever is currently there and grade the screening so that it slopes away from the deck, no luck it still got through. My plan for the next couple of days is to leave rat poison at the hole in the evening and see if it consumes it by the next morning. If I see for two or three days that the poison is not being consumed, I hope that means it worked and then I will put the mesh and add more screening on top. Does that seem reasonable?
Images
  • upload.jpg
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3009 upvotes
keenland
tkhan84 wrote: I'm not focused on killing the rat(s), just preventing them from getting under my deck. We live in a townhouse condo a few hundred meters away from a shopping plaza, the rats are coming from there because of the industrial garbage bins. There are bait stations around the property and I will sprinkle poison outside my fence and in the cracks between deck boards. I want them to stop getting under my deck.

Has anyone tried the wire mesh method to prevent rodents from burrowing, and if so which method for installing it worked best?
what you are doing is against most if not all condo rules....common space is to be maintained and dealt with by the corporation,,

write a letter about your concerns yo the board and property management and ask for a timeline on how it will be dealt with
Sep 2, 2005
829 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto

to do it properly, you’ll need to make an L shaped fold in your hardware cloth to prevent any burrowing.

bury the mesh 1 foot deep and with the bend at least 1 foot out.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22822 posts
21655 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
zaius wrote: Image

to do it properly, you’ll need to make an L shaped fold in your hardware cloth to prevent any burrowing.

bury the mesh 1 foot deep and with the bend at least 1 foot out.
This

But I would prob go finer mesh ... as long as it was a strong metal weave

You can always later finish overtop with Tongue & groove boards or lattice to make a deck skirt and have a less industrial / utilitarian look

Although a rat IMO is very different than other rodents (squirrels, voles, moles, etc) or critters that might dig under decks & sheds etc (including bigger animals like Groundhogs, Raccoons, Skunks etc)

I would have NO COMPUNCTION actually killing a rat ... by whatever method, as long as it didn’t endanger other animals / people (so just putting down rat poison would be out ... but most other methods would be ok by me )

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)