Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 31, 2016
52 posts
2 upvotes

ROE and Public service commission

So to put it simply,

I was terminated from a branch within the public service commission of ontario about 6 years ago. Anyway, does anyone know the processes that the PSC takes to do background checks on their applicants? Even if I omit my experience, and apply for another position within the PSC. Ive been told that most times they wont know if you omit your experience, but im looking to see if anyone in HR thinks differently. Thanks!

N.B the terminated position was on a provincial level. The job that i am being considered for is federal.
10 replies
Mar 30, 2016
95 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Wait, do you mean you worked for the Ontario Public Service and are now applying for a job with the Government of Canada and are wondering if the Government of Canada's HR would find out if you omitted experience from your time with the Ontario Public Service?

Just trying to clarify your question to us readers
[OP]
Mar 31, 2016
52 posts
2 upvotes
Yes, after reading back my question I realize that my intense sleep deprived self made little sense.

That is exactly what I am asking. Thoughts? New to redflagdeals forum btw!
Jun 25, 2011
336 posts
115 upvotes
Alberta
Provincial and Federal Employee database does not have by default access to each other. If you are applying for Military, Police, CSIS, CBSA and other jobs where they explicitly ask you to provide all your work experience then you have to provide all your work experience otherwise it will show up during background check. But if you are mainly applying for civilian jobs where the only requirement is to not have any criminal record (to pass reliability status) and meet educational and work experience then you can chose to omit your provincial job experience. Just a reminder, most of the reliability status check in federal is limited to checking your criminal records which they match through RCMP database, and your credit history. If you can tell which department you are planning to apply and what job position then I can better tell you whether you can omit your prior work experience or not. Make sure if you got social media or linked in profile, don't mention your provincial job if you don't want anyone to find it about.
Mar 30, 2016
95 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
shwarma284720 wrote: Yes, after reading back my question I realize that my intense sleep deprived self made little sense.

That is exactly what I am asking. Thoughts? New to redflagdeals forum btw!
They will not/do not have access to each others HR data base, so you can omit your previous experience. Essentially, the only time you will ever have to mention the provincial government experience again is if you plan on applying with them again!
[OP]
Mar 31, 2016
52 posts
2 upvotes
albertaguy wrote: Provincial and Federal Employee database does not have by default access to each other. If you are applying for Military, Police, CSIS, CBSA and other jobs where they explicitly ask you to provide all your work experience then you have to provide all your work experience otherwise it will show up during background check. But if you are mainly applying for civilian jobs where the only requirement is to not have any criminal record (to pass reliability status) and meet educational and work experience then you can chose to omit your provincial job experience. Just a reminder, most of the reliability status check in federal is limited to checking your criminal records which they match through RCMP database, and your credit history. If you can tell which department you are planning to apply and what job position then I can better tell you whether you can omit your prior work experience or not. Make sure if you got social media or linked in profile, don't mention your provincial job if you don't want anyone to find it about.
THIS.

The job is with CBSA. On the application form it asks for consent to do a security check with the following:

Date of birth, employment history, professional qualifications, personal character references, address, education

criminal record check

credit check (financial assessment, including credit record check)

loyalty ( security assessment only)

verification with databases with customs, immigration, and police information.

So they will most likely find out that I worked in PSC, was fired, and is trying to cover it up.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
shwarma284720 wrote: THIS.

The job is with CBSA. On the application form it asks for consent to do a security check with the following:

Date of birth, employment history, professional qualifications, personal character references, address, education

criminal record check

So they will most likely find out that I worked in PSC, was fired, and is trying to cover it up.
How the hell one gets fired from gov job, must be real incompetent......
Mar 30, 2016
95 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto

criminal record check

Now that you mention it's for the CBSA then yeah you need to include the Provincial Gov experience...Just be ready to justify the termination, if possible.
[OP]
Mar 31, 2016
52 posts
2 upvotes
ironbrah wrote: How the hell one gets fired from gov job, must be real incompetent......
its complicated, someone else screwed me over.
Jun 25, 2011
336 posts
115 upvotes
Alberta

criminal record check

If you are applying with CBSA then you do have to provide all your previous work experience. If you don't include all the work experience then it might get revealed during your background check and it will completely go against you. But you can mention it in your resume and may be it will get overlooked without you getting in to much detail. I never worked with CBSA but I know many security jobs such as OPP ask you explicitly if you were ever been fired before. If you were terminated but not resigned then be ready to explain that honestly. Integrity is one of the biggest issue with these jobs and if you are not forthcoming during the application stage then it will show it to them that you do not hold any integrity. CBSA might overlook the cause of your previous termination unless it is some misconduct but they will certainly not hire you or may be blacklist you permanently for future applications if you do not come up as honest person.

I will say suck it up, if you go up to interview stage, don't blame other, tell them you learn from mistakes and you have smarten up as that incident was 6 years ago. Explain them what you did in those years to improve yourself that you will not goof it up again in future. CBSA and Police jobs are two very high risk job and your every move is on constant scrutiny. So be prepared if you go through this route.