Entrepreneurship & Small Business

ROE - Reason for firing and notice of dismissal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2017 4:01 pm
Apr 25, 2017
83 posts
53 upvotes

ROE - Reason for firing and notice of dismissal?

Note: I'm in Quebec.
My boss fired a driver because he always had issues and altitudes with the staff. He also have misconducts such as forgetting to bring back the invoices from vendors, don't deliver the goods to the customers and always bossed people around (even though he's just a driver). Too keep the staff's productivity, the boss fired him. Questions:

1. On the ROE (Record of Employment), do I need to put any reason to explain if I put the code on box 19 as M (Dismissal)?
2. Do we have to give him a notice of dismissal before firing? As for laying off, I understand that we should have noticed him before hand. But for firing, I'm not sure. Now that he's already been fired. Is the notice necessary and how big of a deal is it?

To make it clearer. The reason the boss fired him was mostly because of his attitudes and behaviors towards other colleagues. Is this reason sufficient enough to put code M (dismissal) in box 19 or just go with code A (shortage of work)?
4 replies
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
M - Dismissal.

No need to put details in box 18. If he applies for EI, Service Canada will verify the detail of the dismissal with the boss or HR.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
Service Canada tends to be generous with individuals in categorizing the reason for leaving on the ROE for EI purposes. We had an employee managing a small team who proved not to be up to the job, so he was moved to a new role, to establish a new team, at the same salary and benefits. He tried it for a few months and then quit. The company put Quit as his reason for leaving. He claimed he was fired for EI purposes. Service Canada contacted us, got the details, and then ruled in his favour for EI.
Apr 25, 2017
83 posts
53 upvotes
Great. So I will put code M (Dismissal) as the fact that he was fired.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
NtodaL wrote: Great. So I will put code M (Dismissal) as the fact that he was fired.
Yes, saves you headaches.