Shopping Discussion

Rogers $5 price increase on all existing TV customers?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2017 9:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3180 posts
535 upvotes
GTA

Rogers $5 price increase on all existing TV customers?

I know a lot of people are on the $99/month (112 tax) and rogers sent me a vague letter stating that they are raising $5 on my bill for better service. First of all that means nothing. Either way I called them and was put on hold. After 20 minutes on hold was told the charge wouldn't be added to my bill until my deal is done next year. But before that she said that everyone who has a tv package that their bill is going up $5 (no reason whatsoever, just rogers wants to be richer).
So I suggest, if you are on a contract to call them and sort the BS charge.
41 replies
Apr 8, 2006
138 posts
39 upvotes
Yup, the usual yearly increase of $3 has now increased to $5. My letter indicated the increase will be on both internet and cable, so $10 more per month.

The usual "we're committed to providing better bull****" reason. AKA "We like your money so we're taking more. Your service will remain the same, until you upgrade to something more expensive, which you've subsidized the installation of with these yearly increases".

As the op mentioned, those of you on a fixed cost promotion (like the $99 one) won't see the increase until expiry. But other who are on a percentage based promo (like me) will see the cost added (and then the discount applied).

If this was the last straw but you're locked in to a contract, in the past some have had success getting out of it without a cxl fee by calling in and pointing out that because this isn't the price you agreed to when you entered the contract, you must now be allowed to exit the contract without penalty. But chances are by now they've inserted a clause to prevent that.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3069 posts
478 upvotes
We also received the letter - we will be charged an additional $5 for each of our cable and internet - so $10 plus tax.

I called Rogers and since we have been customers for a VERY long time (note, loyalty means nothing as we all know) we were offered a discount which would have brought the pricing lower than our current plans. This happened a few years ago so I had no reason to question the discount.

However, just in case I was very clear in our conversation that we did not want to reduce the coverage we have - heaven knows there is little enough that we watch to begin with.

At no time was I told that the plan would change.

Surprise (not). My husband stopped receiving half the channels on the second TV (this TV does not have a modem) - just the digital box.

I decided to watch a Broadchurch on channel 209 - I was not authorized to access this channel. Funny, I was an hour before the call.

So I phoned back and sure enough I was told that the package had been downgraded. The person I spoke with the second time was a nice young man who knew absolutely nothing. Better to say that you do not know rather than make up something. This call went on for some time. Finally he told me that he had corrected the issue and returned us to our previous plan - but that we would be charged the additional $10 plus Tax starting in April.

He advised that it would take 15 minutes for the processing of the changes. Three hours later it was all still the same. I called service and the fellow there checked and told me that the order had not been processed. We went through all of the changes again, including the rebooting process etc. I did not hang up until everything was fixed. The service rep was excellent and very nice.

Next up, I turned on my e-mail the next morning - my husband's e-mail was still working ( I have his e-mail as a secondary on my computer - but he also has it on his laptop). However, while my e-mail address was still working it was now showing under my husband's name.

I had to call service again - it took about 20 minutes to fix that issue. At least my name shows although not as it did before.

We have a Bell phone and everything else is Rogers. I have been hesitant to change to Bell due to the e-mail address issue. However, I am now looking around.

My husband does have a cell phone which does have e-mail capability. He will need the e-mail function until Oct. (and of course he has a contract - but fortunately not a Samsung). At that point we will be dropping the e-mail function and will most likely change his cell phone to Bell or another provider. I do not have a cell phone so that is a non-issue for me.

I was rather firm with the people I spoke with - there is not a higher authority once can complain to. You can send in a written complaint but I know exactly how that would be handled.

I am now waiting for yet another call from the Rogers' promotion company - I receive them regularly. Of course when I pointed this out I was told that as a current customer I am not eligible for a promotion. Then why call me? We have supposedly been added to the DNC list - which will be about as useless as the DNC general list.
Jul 20, 2012
626 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
Blanche123 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 12:13 pm
We also received the letter - we will be charged an additional $5 for each of our cable and internet - so $10 plus tax.

I called Rogers and since we have been customers for a VERY long time (note, loyalty means nothing as we all know) we were offered a discount which would have brought the pricing lower than our current plans. This happened a few years ago so I had no reason to question the discount.

However, just in case I was very clear in our conversation that we did not want to reduce the coverage we have - heaven knows there is little enough that we watch to begin with.

Surprise (not). My husband stopped receiving half the channels on the second TV (this TV does not have a modem) - just the digital box.

I decided to watch a Broadchurch on channel 209 - I was not authorized to access this channel. Funny, I was an hour before the call.

So I phoned back and sure enough I was told that the package had been downgraded. The person I spoke with the second time was a nice young man who knew absolutely nothing. Better to say that you do not know rather than make up something. This call went on for some time. Finally he told me that he had corrected the issue and returned us to our previous plan - but that we would be charged the additional $10 plus Tax starting in April.

He advised that it would take 15 minutes for the processing of the changes. Three hours later it was all still the same. I called service and the fellow there checked and told me that the order had not been processed. We went through all of the changes again, including the rebooting process etc. I did not hang up until everything was fixed. The service rep was excellent and very nice.

Next up, I turned on my e-mail the next morning - my husband's e-mail was still working ( I have his e-mail as a secondary on my computer - but he also has it on his laptop). However, while my e-mail address was still working it was now showing under my husband's name.

I had to call service again - it took about 20 minutes to fix that issue. At least my name shows although not as it did before.

We have a Bell phone and everything else is Rogers. I have been hesitant to change to Bell due to the e-mail address issue. However, I am now looking around.

My husband does have a cell phone which does have e-mail capability. He will need the e-mail function until Oct. (and of course he has a contract - but fortunately not a Samsung). At that point we will be dropping the e-mail function and will most likely change his cell phone to Bell or another provider. I do not have a cell phone so that is a non-issue for me.

I was rather firm with the people I spoke with - there is not a higher authority once can complain to. You can send in a written complaint but I know exactly how that would be handled.

I am now waiting for yet another call from the Rogers' promotion company - I receive them regularly. Of course when I pointed this out I was told that as a current customer I am not eligible for a promotion. Then why call me? We have supposedly been added to the DNC list - which will be about as useless as the DNC general list.
Bell is no better. They offered me a 2 year internet/Fibe TV at a fixed rate in 2015. In 2016 they raised my rates. I complained and they said we will give me the same rate for 2 years. (until 2018). Guess what. They raised the rates this month. I called again but they gave me the same song and dance. They won't lower the rate.
What I'm getting at is Bell won't stand behind their packages. They will always make changes to the bill thinking no one will notice.
Nov 7, 2012
962 posts
409 upvotes
TORONTO
Blanche123 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 12:13 pm

I don't mean to be an *******, but STOP using the email address Rogers or any ISP offers you. It's not some kind of magical email address. From what I recall Rogers uses Yahoo and we all know how Yahoo is doing.

I've heard many stories of people trying to duke it out with Rogers trying to get discounts etc.... and then failing and fully burning bridges with them. Only to realize the next day that ALL their personal accounts linked to the 'FREE' email address that they give is gone.

If anyone on here is still using the 'FREE' ISP email address, DON'T!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
5206 posts
933 upvotes
Markham
I am still in contract and when I called , they said no impact
Feb 27, 2010
213 posts
127 upvotes
I recently renewed for 2 years and I haven't recieved a notice yet in the mail for the price increase
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1122 posts
1014 upvotes
GTA
My parents and in laws use bell and their landlines went up $5 as well as their internet. One was on contract the other wasn't. Such BS with big companies such as these. I'm with rogers and received the memo but I'm also on a contract so I'll wait and see what my upcoming bill is.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Sheep still subscribe to cable. Buy an android box and an OTA antenna and let them choke.

No sympathy for people who don't make an effort to help themselves.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16516 posts
2199 upvotes
jarko wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 2:39 pm
I know a lot of people are on the $99/month (112 tax) and rogers sent me a vague letter stating that they are raising $5 on my bill for better service.
I just got the letter and I was wondering the same thing ... I thought our $99 plans were price guaranteed for 2 years?
Repro wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 5:57 pm
If this was the last straw but you're locked in to a contract, in the past some have had success getting out of it without a cxl fee by calling in and pointing out that because this isn't the price you agreed to when you entered the contract, you must now be allowed to exit the contract without penalty. But chances are by now they've inserted a clause to prevent that.
What I don't get is why Rogers is able to raise the rates ad hoc whereas you can't leave whenever.
theguru wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 12:04 pm
Sheep still subscribe to cable. Buy an android box and an OTA antenna and let them choke.
I did the IPTV thing for a while, but Cable quality and reliability is much better. I'm only paying $2.00 for TV with the Gigabit promo.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14753 posts
2775 upvotes
Toronto
theguru wrote:

Those boxes are a joke. If you must leave Rogers and Bell, give Vmedia and Zazeen a chance.
Currently, I'm still very happy with Rogers. They can't raise my rates until October, as par my current contract.
I'll worry about the $5 issue then.

(I also enjoy being able to pause and rewind live TV on my Rogers Cable box)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3180 posts
535 upvotes
GTA
theguru wrote:

Sounds like someone is jealous they didn't get in on the offer. A lot of us box people actually went with this deal as it was too good to pass up. But keep being salty while I enjoy my cable and especially the 1Gbps internet for $99
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7192 posts
697 upvotes
Waterloo
I have iptv its a way better choice i scrapped rovers years ago its a monopoly buisness its quite sad actually they screw the customers always
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4383 posts
1138 upvotes
Ottawa
Everything are going up but the pay checks.
Jul 23, 2010
421 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
Not just cable tv, rogers internet is going up $5 as well for some packages so we switched from 100u to 150u since difference was a few dollars.