Expired Hot Deals

[Carrytel] (ON/Rogers) 75M/150M UNLTD internet $24.99/75M (1st ,12mth)/ [$39.99/150M (1st ,12mth)]NO INSTALL FEE, FREE MODEM RENTAL

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2020 8:19 pm
Nov 17, 2005
240 posts
25 upvotes
Rchmond Hill
Kevinck wrote: are you still forced to use their Hitron CGN3? I signed up back in april 2018 for $34.99 (-$5/month from the normal $39.99) if you took their free refurbished CGN3 and you could not use your own modem at all. They would raise your price back to $39 if you tried to use your own.

Is that still a stipulation? I'm having intermittent voip (freephoneline) problems with carrytell and had zero issues for years with my old dsl. Has anyone had luck convincing them to let you use your own modem and maintain the discount?
I was told there is a $10 charge to switch to your own modem if you start with theirs, they didn't tell me about a monthly increase. Their sign up form has a use your own modem option and it says $0 .
Dec 23, 2002
39 posts
13 upvotes
Cambridge
I have had Carrytel 50/10 DSL service for years, it was always rock solid but we stream alot now and I thought that my service was choking on the large 1080p video files, so I decided to upgrade to their cable 150/15 service, received the refurb CGN3. I put the CGN3 into bridge mode and use my dir-880l for wifi and so far, a week into it ..what a mistake.
When I run a speektest...Ookla or any other I get over 100mbps at most times but now any streaming we try (Nvidia shield) everything we watch is pausing...freezing..hanging up. I don't get it...and yes done factory reset on modem and router several times.
I am about to send all this cable crap back to them and go back to DSL.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5776 posts
1340 upvotes
GTA
Rooster77 wrote: I have had Carrytel 50/10 DSL service for years, it was always rock solid but we stream alot now and I thought that my service was choking on the large 1080p video files, so I decided to upgrade to their cable 150/15 service, received the refurb CGN3. I put the CGN3 into bridge mode and use my dir-880l for wifi and so far, a week into it ..what a mistake.
When I run a speektest...Ookla or any other I get over 100mbps at most times but now any streaming we try (Nvidia shield) everything we watch is pausing...freezing..hanging up. I don't get it...and yes done factory reset on modem and router several times.
I am about to send all this cable crap back to them and go back to DSL.
Their VDSL is rock solid? is the jitter stable?

Their cable seemed to know how much I use and cuts me off regularly, sometimes daily. And the jitter is all over the map.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3280 posts
750 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
LongLiveRFD wrote: Their VDSL is rock solid? is the jitter stable?

Their cable seemed to know how much I use and cuts me off regularly, sometimes daily. And the jitter is all over the map.
So is the problem the CGN3 or carrytel's cable service as a whole?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5776 posts
1340 upvotes
GTA
Kevinck wrote: So is the problem the CGN3 or carrytel's cable service as a whole?
I dont have CGN3 and get disconnected almost daily.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3280 posts
750 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
LongLiveRFD wrote: I dont have CGN3 and get disconnected almost daily.
$34.99 for 75/10 service is such a good deal. I hate to give it up.

I don't have phone service. I don't need faster than 75 down. I do want 10 up. I'd rather not have to deal with switching providers every year or phoning in threatening to quit.
Is there something else close in price that is reliable?

Hmmm.... their fiber (i assume VDSL) is $39.99 for 50/10. unlimited. $50 modem purchase. if it is reliable i might consider that.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5776 posts
1340 upvotes
GTA
Kevinck wrote: $34.99 for 75/10 service is such a good deal. I hate to give it up.

I don't have phone service. I don't need faster than 75 down. I do want 10 up. I'd rather not have to deal with switching providers every year or phoning in threatening to quit.
Is there something else close in price that is reliable?

Hmmm.... their fiber (i assume VDSL) is $39.99 for 50/10. unlimited. $50 modem purchase. if it is reliable i might consider that.
Same boat.

In theory VDSL has to be more reliable but without seeing some jitter time plots I can't bother to invest the time. My CT Cable kept getting lost packets and spikes in latency, then regular quick disconnect/reconnect. It's still far better than TSI at its' infancy, Contact.Net VDSL with their whole wknd down, and Bell with their BS.

If I see few people claim their CT VDSL is consistently ~15ms and can appear stable over a week, I would give it a go.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
48042 posts
5475 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have CarryTel service in Niagara Falls? How is it?

Currently with Teksavvy, has been down for almost a week. I think there was an outage but still having problems, doubt it's the modem. Cogeco resells to Teksavvy down there right? That's what the Teksavvy rep said when submitting a ticket..

Tried cycling modem, and everything, so troubleshooting has been done.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
14751 posts
3653 upvotes
Markham
Jimboski wrote: Anyone have CarryTel service in Niagara Falls? How is it?

Currently with Teksavvy, has been down for almost a week. I think there was an outage but still having problems, doubt it's the modem. Cogeco resells to Teksavvy down there right? That's what the Teksavvy rep said when submitting a ticket..

Tried cycling modem, and everything, so troubleshooting has been done.
if the problem is with Cogeco line, then you will have same problem with CarryTel
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2003
1319 posts
306 upvotes
Ottawa
fox0088 wrote: [...]
Is that a -10$ per month offer or a 10$ one time deal? Not clear when I enter the info which one is it.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Mar 3rd, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit in quote
To be or not to be...where is the question?
Aug 29, 2007
293 posts
104 upvotes
ipse wrote: Is that a -10$ per month offer or a 10$ one time deal? Not clear when I enter the info which one is it.
ya, I'd like to know as well. It says one time promotion, so most likely just $10 for the first month. I went through the order page and the recurring charge didn't show any discount.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2003
1319 posts
306 upvotes
Ottawa
will660 wrote: ya, I'd like to know as well. It says one time promotion, so most likely just $10 for the first month. I went through the order page and the recurring charge didn't show any discount.
Well yes and no...the first month is already discounted to 24.99$....so the 10$ is on top of that or does it drop the monthly price to 29.99$ after the first month?
It does say "one time" though...so likely the first.

/EDIT looks like the 10$ is off modem purchase. No deal, I'd rather go with Fido.
To be or not to be...where is the question?
Feb 3, 2019
19 posts
2 upvotes
Anyone using their fiber(vdsl), I’m interested and would like to know how it’s been. I’m not a heavy gamer just casually rpg and mmorpg and multiple devices usually on YouTube or Netflix. Wish 7 day trial was for a month, week doesn’t seem long enough and afraid problems might arise after the 7 days.
Apr 2, 2011
4 posts
Toronto
Own modem Conditions

Your modem needs to be inactive for at least 14 days in order to be used with Carry Telecom.

If your modem is currently active with another provider, we will not be able to process the order until it becomes deactivated with your current provider.
Anyone who signed up with them had problems with this? I use my own modem with a different provider in a different province, but I really can't wait two weeks to have internet. Is this actually the case?
Jun 2, 2019
1 posts
I am from London On. Does Carry Telecom have a Toll Free number that I can call besides these NEED HELP? 647-5604448, 514-7001283, 613-2094100?