Shopping Discussion

Rogers added tax to my device balance!?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2020 12:43 pm
[OP]
Apr 14, 2020
4 posts

Rogers added tax to my device balance!?

I have never seen this before. It looks like they added taxes to my device balance. The phone is on a subsidy. I contacted them and they say there is nothing they can do!!!
Images
  • 7CD8B862-1ED7-42BF-8FF4-416FCFED4544.png
  • 7DC23A9E-F030-4F8E-BB55-7E7748F2025E.png
12 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10972 posts
2085 upvotes
Toronto
2TheMax04 wrote: I have never seen this before. It looks like they added taxes to my device balance. The phone is on a subsidy. I contacted them and they say there is nothing they can do!!!
Am I blind or does it not say taxes extra... Add tax to the $1285 and there's your total...

No one shows the final price with tax, it's always extra.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2020
4 posts
XtremeModder wrote: Am I blind or does it not say taxes extra... Add tax to the $1285 and there's your total...

No one shows the final price with tax, it's always extra.
Not on the device balance! UNLESS I was to buy the remainder of the contract out. Remember i pay taxes on the financing charge each month. I also have a P30 Pro that started with a $1200 device balance. No taxes. That’s the current price listed on Rogers.com
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45329 posts
5875 upvotes
Richmond Hill
2TheMax04 wrote: Not on the device balance! UNLESS I was to buy the remainder of the contract out. Remember i pay taxes on the financing charge each month. I also have a P30 Pro that started with a $1200 device balance. No taxes. That’s the current price listed on Rogers.com
...and so each month, your device balance will go down equal to your payment amount plus tax. What's wrong?
Jan 2, 2007
257 posts
153 upvotes
Kitchener, Ontario
Are they double taxing you?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10630 posts
12872 upvotes
Vancouver
2TheMax04 wrote: Not on the device balance! UNLESS I was to buy the remainder of the contract out. Remember i pay taxes on the financing charge each month. I also have a P30 Pro that started with a $1200 device balance. No taxes. That’s the current price listed on Rogers.com
Phones are taxable. You're paying what you owe. If you got away with getting a new phone without paying any sales taxes, consider yourself lucky.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2020
4 posts
Apparently this falls under the scope of the CCTS mandate. I submitted a complaint. I don’t know what you guys are talking about but tax is never added to the device balance unless the remainder of the contract is bought out.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6654 posts
6450 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Taxes are paid on phones. Companies usually abstract the tab process because people can't handle math involving decimals.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10630 posts
12872 upvotes
Vancouver
2TheMax04 wrote: Apparently this falls under the scope of the CCTS mandate. I submitted a complaint. I don’t know what you guys are talking about but tax is never added to the device balance unless the remainder of the contract is bought out.
Can you provide some evidence to show phones become sales taxes exempt if they are put on a monthly payment plan? Because I can find none.
I can understand your concern if you were being double taxed, but based on your screen shots it doesn't look like you are.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15166 posts
3512 upvotes
Toronto
When you look at your invoice, you will find the plan amount + monthly finance charge. This total will be + tax.

When you have a finance balance, you pay for the device amount owing and the taxes on the balance amount.

think of it this way: you buy a phone + pay tax on it and that is your cost. They are breaking this amount down by 24 months at 0% so on the system, they will list the phone price and each month take a portion out plus the tax. This way they don't charge you tax in 1 lump sum. When you pay out the balance in 1 lump sum, you pay the balance of the device and the taxes on that portion.

The balance amount is that if you cancel before the term, you pay the phone amount. This is not like Koodo before the changes where you get free subsidy
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3229 posts
3239 upvotes
GTA
It's easy to check on your monthly bill. If they are charging you $59.97 a month after tax (12%) for the phone then there's no problem. If it's $59.97 before tax then you are being charged tax twice. The charge should be $53.54 monthly before tax for the phone on a 24 month term.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11543 posts
2542 upvotes
Montreal
2TheMax04 wrote: I don’t know what you guys are talking about but tax is never added to the device balance unless the remainder of the contract is bought out.
I think you're confusing the current payment system to the old subsidy system.

Before, you'd pay $60/m for a plan for a "$360" subsidy for 24 months. It looks like you pay no taxes on the phone subsidy.

Today, you pay $45/m for the plan + $15/month for the "$360" subsidy for 24 months. Now it looks like you pay taxes on the phone subsidy.

In the end, the result is the same.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15931 posts
13789 upvotes
Richmond Hill
OP, are you Fresh Off the Boat?

Of course there's taxes :facepalm: