• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 7:59 pm
[OP]
Jun 3, 2017
173 posts
137 upvotes

Rogers alternative

Whatever deal my building had with Rogers expired; Rogers is now asking $50/month for basic cable. Any recommendations for an alternative. This is for a TV that has only either CP24 or CityTV (city news) on. No other channel is watched on this TV.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1589 posts
529 upvotes
We got a rooftop antenna paired with Netflix, prime and an android box. Lots to watch and no cable bill!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6748 posts
5509 upvotes
AnotherDesiredUsername wrote: Whatever deal my building had with Rogers expired; Rogers is now asking $50/month for basic cable. Any recommendations for an alternative. This is for a TV that has only either CP24 or CityTV (city news) on. No other channel is watched on this TV.
OTA antenna as long as you have a window facing CN Tower.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6748 posts
5509 upvotes
AnotherDesiredUsername wrote: So you're getting channels 7 and 24 with the antenna, right?
I don't live in TO but when I was helping my friend set up, he got CBC and Omni for sure with non-amped antenna. You may want to try other forums that's dedicated to OTA.

The problem is, if you have a single detached house, you can throw a fish bone antenna and increased what you can receive. But it's very YMMV if you live in a condo and which way your condo windows are facing.
Jun 21, 2008
545 posts
145 upvotes
mississauga
Xtrema wrote: I don't live in TO but when I was helping my friend set up, he got CBC and Omni for sure with non-amped antenna. You may want to try other forums that's dedicated to OTA.

The problem is, if you have a single detached house, you can throw a fish bone antenna and increased what you can receive. But it's very YMMV if you live in a condo and which way your condo windows are facing.
Sometimes even facing the wrong way works in your favour as the signal bounces off other buildings. In my opinion trying a few different spots around the house with a low cost antenna is a good learning experience
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8282 posts
2905 upvotes
Maple
AnotherDesiredUsername wrote: Whatever deal my building had with Rogers expired; Rogers is now asking $50/month for basic cable. Any recommendations for an alternative. This is for a TV that has only either CP24 or CityTV (city news) on. No other channel is watched on this TV.
With OTA, you get others including 57 (City News). You will not get 24 (CP24). I have it on my roof, and backyard faces South. Where are located?
Feb 15, 2007
981 posts
281 upvotes
Pickering
CP24 has never been, and knowing Bell never will be available OTA. You want that channel going to have to either stay with Rogers, get Bell TV, or one of the IPTV (Teksavvy, Start, etc).
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
44 posts
13 upvotes
Get TekSavvy TV.

$20 for basic package which includes city tv and add $8 news package which includes cp24.

$28+tax all in.