Careers

Rogers announces shift to fully Canadian-based customer service team

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 3:18 pm
20 replies
Newbie
Nov 5, 2019
53 posts
25 upvotes
About time; this is way overdue. Canadian customers should be fully serviced by Canadian service staff with the proper local knowledge, and not outsourced overseas underpaid staff. The same goes with any other region in the world: the customer service staff should be LOCALIZED and physically close by near the customer in the same region.
We need to reverse all the horrible outsourcing trend of workers being abused by greedy big corporate management fatcats, in the past 20+ years.

But of course, the big question is still corporate accountability and honesty: as in the company press might announce one thing, but the actual implementation might be different, or they might roll back under the radar ... etc.
Sr. Member
Nov 22, 2017
603 posts
348 upvotes
ander20t wrote: About time; this is way overdue. Canadian customers should be fully serviced by Canadian service staff with the proper local knowledge, and not outsourced overseas underpaid staff. The same goes with any other region in the world: the customer service staff should be LOCALIZED and physically close by near the customer in the same region.
We need to reverse all the horrible outsourcing trend of workers being abused by greedy big corporate management fatcats, in the past 20+ years.

But of course, the big question is still corporate accountability and honesty: as in the company press might announce one thing, but the actual implementation might be different, or they might roll back under the radar ... etc.
There's a fine balance between quality, quick and low cost. Are consumers prepared to pay for the expense of having a similar sized call center in Canada?
Newbie
Jun 19, 2009
34 posts
31 upvotes
Extrahard wrote: There's a fine balance between quality, quick and low cost. Are consumers prepared to pay for the expense of having a similar sized call center in Canada?
Based on the threads here? Not a chance.
Newbie
Mar 11, 2007
48 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers wouldn't need such a large call center if they didn't screw up my bill each month. Just simplify their product offering, don't offer promos, just reasonable fixed prices for every Canadian. Everyone I've spoken to has a different price for internet, depending on when they called, what promos are available that month, their area code, and who they spoke with.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3782 posts
1855 upvotes
Extrahard wrote: There's a fine balance between quality, quick and low cost. Are consumers prepared to pay for the expense of having a similar sized call center in Canada?
Telus offshores it’s Koodo staff, Telus retention and at one point Telus business support (not sure if they still do). However, Telus still charges a premium for service. So no I disagree that any savings will be passed on to us as they never were. Also, our telecom industry operates in an oligopoly with protection measures so it makes zero sense for them to outsource the way they do (if only to serve shareholders, which is incredibly stupid because their is no such thing as infinite growth)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3782 posts
1855 upvotes
xistop wrote: Based on the threads here? Not a chance.
From what I see, people want reasonable prices at reasonable costs. It’s apparent they can do this, but they refuse to compete.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1900 posts
461 upvotes
In Hiding
Must be predicting that Covid-19 will severely impact resources in India; costs will increase now.
Sr. Member
Nov 22, 2017
603 posts
348 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: From what I see, people want reasonable prices at reasonable costs. It’s apparent they can do this, but they refuse to compete.
Well the average wage for a call center agent in Philippines is around $500/month, that's at the very least 4-5 times less than a person working here. The only way this works without transfering the cost to the consumer is by substantially reducing the call center size which will mean much longer wait times and in general might lead to less quality even with the agent's proper English because they'll be pushed to the limit to get through as many callers as possible. I still think having a hybrid version of both Canadian and foreign agents is the best balance and solution for consumers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3782 posts
1855 upvotes
Extrahard wrote: Well the average wage for a call center agent in Philippines is around $500/month, that's at the very least 4-5 times less than a person working here. The only way this works without transfering the cost to the consumer is by substantially reducing the call center size which will mean much longer wait times and in general might lead to less quality even with the agent's proper English because they'll be pushed to the limit to get through as many callers as possible. I still think having a hybrid version of both Canadian and foreign agents is the best balance and solution for consumers.
Bringing jobs back to Canada will get the goodwill of the Canadian government (could help with getting their way on spectrum sharing agreements), which after this pandemic is worth more. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if these jobs are at a subsidized rate with local or federal government offering grants and such. Regardless, I hope this is a trend that continues
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1246 posts
1110 upvotes
Toronto
Oh no.
John from Hyderabad is going to lose his job.
....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3782 posts
1855 upvotes
clseea wrote: Excellent, now rates will increase even more.
Rogers has an entire empire of service and media within Canada. We don’t need to fear monger that rates will increase when they have protectionist measure in place. These 300 jobs is like marketing/advertising for them now
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9450 posts
1889 upvotes
Edmonton
MyNameWasTaken wrote: Rogers has an entire empire of service and media within Canada. We don’t need to fear monger that rates will increase when they have protectionist measure in place. These 300 jobs is like marketing/advertising for them now
So they're not going to raise their rates because of this?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3782 posts
1855 upvotes
clseea wrote: So they're not going to raise their rates because of this?
Even if they do, people can still choose to support Bell or Telus

Top