Sep 5, 2013
162 posts
30 upvotes

Rogers Bank & Rogers First Rewards Mastercard [Update 2015-03-11]

Rogers is apparently about to launch its own bank and first mastercard:

Rogers First Rewards MasterCard

[QUOTE]The Fastest Way To Get Rewards You Want
. Get 5,000 welcome points when you make your first purchase
. Get 2 Rogers First Rewards points for every dollar you spend on the Rogers First Rewards™ MasterCard®
. Get rewards you actually want including On Demand movies and discounts off your next smartphone upgrade, with a new 2 year plan
. Redeem your points quickly and easily online, whenever you want
. No Annual Fee[/QUOTE]

5,000 points could give $50 back on a smartphone upgrade. 2%, not bad for a free card; you just need to be a Rogers' customer to be able to get the benefit...

[Update 2015-03-11]

. Earn additional 200 points each month when pay your Rogers bill your Rogers Mastercard
. Redeem your rewards toward your Rogers bill (but the rate in that case is lower than 2% because you need 10,000 points for 75$, 13,300 points for 100$ or 26,600 points for 200$ off your bill)
Share:
789 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1259 posts
286 upvotes
Woodbridge
interesting $50 bonus and 2% cashback towards rogers wonder what rate they will give for statement credit if any
Dec 26, 2013
668 posts
58 upvotes
CyberDudeEh wrote: Rogers is apparently about to launch its own bank and first mastercard:

Rogers First Rewards MasterCard

5,000 points could give $50 back on a smartphone upgrade. 2%, not bad for a free card; you just need to be a Rogers' customer to be able to get the benefit...
Not just that but you have to stay with them on a contract to benefit from an upgrade discount. I'm with Rogers but this is definitely not a card I want.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4129 posts
751 upvotes
Richmond
it's not really a free card. monthly fee instead of a annual fee since you need to be a rogers a.k.a robbers customer
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1371 posts
55 upvotes
Bleh, not a visa so no use even as a backup card. I can see this maybe being alright for a very limited amount of people. 2%, no fee, probably not going to come with any type of insurance either, like the Best Buy Visa.
angel_wing0 wrote: hmm, can we redeeem against monthly cell/cable/internet bill?
Looks like it, or at least on extra upgrades, worst case always downgrade your plan and then use the points to upgrade back up again.
Aug 26, 2012
218 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
Will this replace discounts/credits?

Customer: Wind is cheaper. I'm leaving.
CSR: If you get our credit card, you'll get discounts! (And we make money if you make late payments)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6561 posts
5154 upvotes
Not now, not ever.

It would be an utterly foolish decision to sign up with this. Watch our for all the exceptions and catches.

I can't wait until my contract with Rogers runs out. From that point on, I will keep a Petro-Canada mobile account perpetually, and never give one more cent to that company.
Jul 19, 2007
841 posts
150 upvotes
halflife150 wrote: Bleh, not a visa so no use even as a backup card. I can see this maybe being alright for a very limited amount of people. 2%, no fee, probably not going to come with any type of insurance either, like the Best Buy Visa.

Looks like it, or at least on extra upgrades, worst case always downgrade your plan and then use the points to upgrade back up again.
What difference would visa make?
Probably be 1% instead
Jun 16, 2012
277 posts
27 upvotes
MARKHAM
Are we sure that its 2%? Just says 2 points. the points may not be worth much.
Aug 3, 2006
739 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
darksoul wrote: Are we sure that its 2%? Just says 2 points. the points may not be worth much.
Site says 5,000 points = $50 towards smartphone upgrade with 2yr term
2 points earned per $ spent = 2% return

One could argue the value is less because you're forced to sign 2yr term!
Aug 3, 2006
739 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
angel_wing0 wrote: hmm, can we redeeem against monthly cell/cable/internet bill?
Can't redeem directly against the bill. Seems like only specific upgrade packages are available i.e. long distance packs, SMS packages, etc.

Sign into http://www.rogersfirstrewards.com/ to see what points are really worth and what items are available for redemption.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6561 posts
5154 upvotes
BoogieMan wrote: Can't redeem directly against the bill. Seems like only specific upgrade packages are available i.e. long distance packs, SMS packages, etc.

Sign into http://www.rogersfirstrewards.com/ to see what points are really worth and what items are available for redemption.
Just as I thought. It is all a scam. Avoid like the plague.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1291 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
Earn 2 points for every dollar you spend
&
5,000 points="enough points to redeem for up to 6 Rogers On Demand movie rentals4 or for a $50 credit toward your next eligible smartphone upgrade, with a new two year plan."
&
On Demand HD new release movie redemptions priced up to $7.99.

So, it could be worth out 2% reward by two year plan upgrade or $7.99*(1+13%)=$9.0287*6=$54.172=2.16% reward or find something you need on www.RogersFirstRewards.com

For me, Unfortunately, I don't want both of the reward options, and the only Pro is annual fee free.
Simple is the best.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44551 posts
5115 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Is Rogers actually footing this by themselves, or is another bank providing this underneath?
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)