• Mar 16th, 2019 1:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3107 posts
931 upvotes

Rogers cable boxes

Do they still sell them or only rent?

I want to get rid of a rental box and just buy one but don't see that option anywhere except buying one 2nd hand. I just need a standard definition one lol
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9826 posts
6255 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
BigJonsson wrote: Do they still sell them or only rent?

I want to get rid of a rental box and just buy one but don't see that option anywhere except buying one 2nd hand. I just need a standard definition one lol
If all you need is a SDbox, then just buy one second hand. I don't even think they make those anymore. If anything, just demand Rogers give you the rental for free. It costs them nothing as the box is old and junk now. I stopped paying for rentals years ago.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3107 posts
931 upvotes
chimaican wrote: If all you need is a SDbox, then just buy one second hand. I don't even think they make those anymore. If anything, just demand Rogers give you the rental for free. It costs them nothing as the box is old and junk now. I stopped paying for rentals years ago.

Yea, I'll probably do that, I can get one from a friend. Do you still need to make sure they unlink it from their account first?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9826 posts
6255 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
BigJonsson wrote: Yea, I'll probably do that, I can get one from a friend. Do you still need to make sure they unlink it from their account first?
Yes, they need to ensure the box SN is not associated with their account.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3107 posts
931 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Yes, they need to ensure the box SN is not associated with their account.
Thanks
Jan 21, 2013
467 posts
94 upvotes
in a bubble
I just did this with Cogeco....the box is second hand & I called them to activate it (after trying to do it on-line)...it didn't activate so they are sending someone next wk...

I wish they sold HD boxes.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15263 posts
3046 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers has swung back into the rental business claiming that there was a problem with the rent to own.
People would rent and rent and rent until the rental term is up, then pay one dollar to make the box theirs.
A short time later the box dies, forcing them to rent all over again.
As a result of that, Rogers discontinued the rent to own program.
They now only rent. However, they ARE offering free rental when you take select packages. (it is their effort to get people to take cable in the higher packages and not the basic $25 package)

Paying only for basic Rogers cable means that the box rental fee can not be discounted or eliminated.
BigJonsson wrote: I just need a standard definition one lol
Rogers is REALLY pushing the new 4k boxes also, so I doubt they still have an SD box available. You might be stuck with a Nextbox HD 2.0 or 3.0...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3107 posts
931 upvotes
They gave me another SD box but I'm just gonna buy or borrow another box from a friend so I won't be paying rental fees anymore. The other 3 boxes in the house we own....