Computers & Electronics

Rogers cable and internet upgrade- Sept 2014

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2014 1:35 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 4, 2014
1 posts
Thunder Bay, ON

Rogers cable and internet upgrade- Sept 2014

Currently we pay $99/month tax incl for:
1. basic cable with time shifting. We own our box HD4250 (which has always been slow and crappy, now it barely responds) We pay 41.00 taxes incl.
2. high speed internet (the old Express 10up/0.5down) with a 60Gb cap. We pay 58.88 taxes incl.
(We also have one rogers cell phone through work (major account) for which we pay 30/month (no data) but we are not trying to change this). No other services with rogers.

We called Rogers to complain that our service is lousy with old HW and we are paying more $ for less service. After an hour on the phone they offered us the following combined offer for 97/month for cable and internet:
Cable. no change to package but they will give us nextbox 2.0 hd pvr (model 4642) free for two years then we can buy it for 1 dollar
Internet: upgrade to the newer 30mbps and 270gb cap express package, plus advanced wireless modem (dual band) included for 4/month

We have not accepted this offer and we are hoping for some feedback on this form Thanks!!
15 replies
Banned
User avatar
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
Did you try the thread dedicated to this?
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
4313 posts
1841 upvotes
Sounds like highway robbery
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
the regular price of their "new" modem is $12 per month !! they are not giving the old smaller modem anymore......they're giving everyone the more costly hitron modems

beware......!

why do u need basic cable ? It's all infomercial channels in that package most of the day.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32598 posts
6368 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Personally I would ditch Rogers.

But let's put emotions aside and look at this deal

Basically, they offered you a price plan that is $2 cheaper. Instead of paying $99, you're now paying $97

TV: You get a new PVR for free and then own it after two years of service.
Internet: You get 3 times the bandwidth and 5 times the download capacity

You still need to think about this?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
7657 posts
2450 upvotes
Maple
It's no better deal than current. Ask them to transfer to Retention Dept, it has better offers. Don't forget to threaten them that you would move your services to Bell or Shaw. they will offer something better.
Banned
Aug 9, 2014
1239 posts
400 upvotes
teoconca wrote: It's no better deal than current. Ask them to transfer to Retention Dept, it has better offers. Don't forget to threaten them that you would move your services to Bell or Shaw. they will offer something better.
Threatening is not always the best solution. You need to tell them what you're looking for and what the competitors are offering. Imagine you're asking for a raise from your employer, same idea.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
7657 posts
2450 upvotes
Maple
LOL.
It's different parks. With Rogers, they need customers; they don't like competitions. they hate to loose customers. That is why they have retention dept. With employers, I would be more political but sometimes they do need to threaten (lightly) but I would make sure I have some advantages to back myself up.
Lexusisf wrote: Threatening is not always the best solution. You need to tell them what you're looking for and what the competitors are offering. Imagine you're asking for a raise from your employer, same idea.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32598 posts
6368 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
teoconca wrote: LOL.
It's different parks. With Rogers, they need customers; they don't like competitions. they hate to loose customers. That is why they have retention dept. With employers, I would be more political but sometimes they do need to threaten (lightly) but I would make sure I have some advantages to back myself up.
Retentions only exist in name. Many people have threated to leave after their cell phone discounts expired and Rogers said "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out"

Sure they need customers, but the desire to be profitable is more pressing.

It is better to have 3 customers that can give me a $10 profit each instead of 30 customers that give me $1 profit each.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
i was still using that crappy old GREY PVR rogers cable box, now i got the cheaper nextbox2.0 , 15 bucks a month, saves me 10 bucks each month

my cable tv is still over 100 bucks! internet is extreme with unlimited cap = 92$ a month
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Banned
Aug 9, 2014
1239 posts
400 upvotes
Gee wrote: Retentions only exist in name. Many people have threated to leave after their cell phone discounts expired and Rogers said "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out"

Sure they need customers, but the desire to be profitable is more pressing.

It is better to have 3 customers that can give me a $10 profit each instead of 30 customers that give me $1 profit each.
They are much more lenient when it comes to cable and internet.
Member
User avatar
Mar 21, 2006
477 posts
55 upvotes
Thornhill
You don't have to threaten to leave. Every 2 years when my discount is up, I go through the IVR following the cancellation path. When I get a CSR, I just tell them I want a better deal. Without threatening to leave and being polite, they have always been willing to come up with an offer that was respectable. 2 years ago, it was a 50% discount on my Digital VIP package and any hardware I rented (none) but nothing on the additional TV packages such ad the HDTV Specialty Channel Package and Super Sports Pack. They didn't give me a break on my internet.

Fast forward to last month, did the same thing and they gave me 55% off my Internet.

Just be polite. You'll attract more flies with honey than vinegar.
Dolfan
- The opinions stated above are mine personally and don't necessarily represent my employer in any way, shape or form.
Feedback: Heatware (0) Red Flag Deals BST (5)

Active BST Postings: None
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2360 upvotes
Gee wrote: Problem with Rogers is that the honey tastes like vinegar
LMAO... :D

It resonates with a lot of truth.
Newbie
Feb 11, 2013
30 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
givertaker wrote: Currently we pay $99/month tax incl for:
1. basic cable with time shifting. We own our box HD4250 (which has always been slow and crappy, now it barely responds) We pay 41.00 taxes incl.
2. high speed internet (the old Express 10up/0.5down) with a 60Gb cap. We pay 58.88 taxes incl.
(We also have one rogers cell phone through work (major account) for which we pay 30/month (no data) but we are not trying to change this). No other services with rogers.

We called Rogers to complain that our service is lousy with old HW and we are paying more $ for less service. After an hour on the phone they offered us the following combined offer for 97/month for cable and internet:
Cable. no change to package but they will give us nextbox 2.0 hd pvr (model 4642) free for two years then we can buy it for 1 dollar
Internet: upgrade to the newer 30mbps and 270gb cap express package, plus advanced wireless modem (dual band) included for 4/month

We have not accepted this offer and we are hoping for some feedback on this form Thanks!!
Call them and cancel it'll be 30 days notice. So no interruption to your services . They'll call you back in few days time and they'll ask you to stay back with them. This time you might get good deal.

Top