Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2017) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

May 11, 2011
125 posts
11 upvotes
Just called in to cancel, current cable promo ended October 22nd. We had 30% off cable with free hardware (HD PVR, HD Box and SD Box). Best they were offering now was half off hardware and 20% off. Bill would've increased from about $65 to $93 - totally unacceptable.

Going to try the online/OTA route. My parents watch a lot of Punjabi channels so looking into some online services that may provide them (perhaps YuppTV). Might try Netflix too to see if its worthwhile and attempt to set up OTA over the next month.

Looking forward to be Rogers-free though! Internet is with Teksavvy and home phone with freephoneline. Cable TV was the only thing left and it'll soon be over! Didn't really feel like trying out Bell, it seems to be almost as expensive and I'd rather support the alternatives.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1337 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
hermansb wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2012 10:15 am
Just called in to cancel, current cable promo ended October 22nd. We had 30% off cable with free hardware (HD PVR, HD Box and SD Box). Best they were offering now was half off hardware and 20% off. Bill would've increased from about $65 to $93 - totally unacceptable.

Going to try the online/OTA route. My parents watch a lot of Punjabi channels so looking into some online services that may provide them (perhaps YuppTV). Might try Netflix too to see if its worthwhile and attempt to set up OTA over the next month.

Looking forward to be Rogers-free though! Internet is with Teksavvy and home phone with freephoneline. Cable TV was the only thing left and it'll soon be over! Didn't really feel like trying out Bell, it seems to be almost as expensive and I'd rather support the alternatives.
Enjoy Teksavvy! It's so nice not having to call Rogers every time your credits expire and beg for a deal.....not to mention paying less for more with Teksavvy. :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5067 posts
286 upvotes
Markham
i dont know about paying less for more...this is a rogers thread, but I pay $36 ($40-$4) for bell fibe internet (but promotion expiring next month) 25mbs down 7mbps up with 125 gb usage..would love to get similar with rogers, bell or any other providers but can't seem to find anything in the same range with those speeds (speed more important than usage to me personally)
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4435 posts
243 upvotes
montakute wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2012 3:46 am
^
I received a letter last week from Bell, having been a Bell phone customer for many years until recently.

For $81 monthly + tax Bell offers:
- Fibe 25 internet + free modem rental
- Bell Home Phone Lite
- Fibe HD TV Good pkg + free Whole Home PVR rental
This seems like a really good deal. I didn't get this in my mail (though I'm already a bell phone customer paying $40+ for that land line, need to change that). Is the offer online as well and is it for a full year? Free whole home PVR I'm guessing means that they'll give you multiple PVRs if you have more than one TV? The 25 internet I think has a 75 GB limit, that's not so great compared to having security with Teksavvy's 300 GB but we usually never even go above 30 or 40 excluding summer so could live with that.
hermansb wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2012 10:15 am
I've heard that Jadoo TV or MagicTV have receivers for int'l channels? I think you just pay for them once. BUt I also heard that they're unreliable since they use sopcast or whatever so quality is probably not always that great either.
Sep 19, 2010
568 posts
89 upvotes
Unionville, ON.
Nettles wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2012 5:07 pm
This seems like a really good deal. I didn't get this in my mail (though I'm already a bell phone customer paying $40+ for that land line, need to change that). Is the offer online as well and is it for a full year? Free whole home PVR I'm guessing means that they'll give you multiple PVRs if you have more than one TV?
The Bell letter addressed me by name and was in the context of "we want you back"; not an online offer. It is a one-year price/contract. I believe Bell's HD-PVR is just one unit that supports multiple TV's, unlike Rogers'. The TV pkg offered is a low-end one but I imagine you can upgrade it by paying the difference. Currently I have 35% off rogers TV and internet, expiring Oct., so if rogers does not offer at least 30% off (plus free equipment), I may accept this Bell offer which ends Friday.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
69 upvotes
Bye bye Rogers, I called in today to see if they could do anything since we haven't been on contract for 1 year and they didn't even make me an offer, just what's available on the site- take it or leave it, $68 for the TekSavvy $40/month plan. We have been with Rogers for 10 years with cable services, they didn't seem to care.

I told the rep to go ahead and process the cancellation. Hello TekSavvy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6501 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just called, right now I was getting free HD PVR, free modem rental, free HD box, and 20% off. Expiring next month.

The dude's offer was 70% off Internet (incl. 70% off the modem), some kind of rent-to-own lower pricing on the HD box/PVR. Works out to about $20 more after tax than what I'm paying now.

Fibe TV is looking rather tempting...
Sep 21, 2010
4 posts
1 upvote
Hi guys,

I'm currently with Rogers paying full price for their cable services, but I want to get their Ultimate internet package for 70% off like some of you have been offered. How would I go about doing this? I called them once already, and all they would offer is 25% off for a new activation.

Thanks a lot
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45111 posts
3634 upvotes
Toronto
vmoneyy wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2012 7:23 pm
Hi guys,

I'm currently with Rogers paying full price for their cable services, but I want to get their Ultimate internet package for 70% off like some of you have been offered. How would I go about doing this? I called them once already, and all they would offer is 25% off for a new activation.

Thanks a lot
Say that you have other services with Rogers and that you want to get a bundle discount. The more services you have with Rogers the more lenient they'll be with you In terms of discounts.
Sep 21, 2010
4 posts
1 upvote
Jimboski wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2012 7:24 pm
Say that you have other services with Rogers and that you want to get a bundle discount. The more services you have with Rogers the more lenient they'll be with you In terms of discounts.
Thank you, is there any particular number I should call?
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15328 posts
1254 upvotes
Scarborough
what's the cheapest TV rate for scarborough?
CHINESE IPTV APP AND BOX FREE TRIAL:IPTV Group Buy
Sep 19, 2010
568 posts
89 upvotes
Unionville, ON.
vmoneyy wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2012 7:38 pm
Thank you, is there any particular number I should call?
The bundle discount is supposed to be automatic... call 888rogers1 and speak to billing.... bundles discount should be *retroactive* for as long as you had >1 service and no other discounts.
5% for 2 service, 10% for 3 services, 15% for 4 services.

You have been ripped-off and should be mad as heck!
Mar 18, 2008
15 posts
4 upvotes
Whitby
Hey guys,

Tried to cancel my internet/cable services the last 2 days and getting no where with 2 of the reps.

They are giving me an offer of $81 Extreme (I have my own modem)/Basic Cable with HDPVR and sign up for 2yrs! That's crazy!

My 1yr contract that was 20% was way better and just expired this month. Has anything change recently? I use to be able to renew pretty easily for 1 year before.

Thanks!
May 23, 2007
385 posts
77 upvotes
Ottawa
Rogers 'retentions' couldn't retain me ( 10+ year subscriber). I finally ditched my cable. They were trying to charge me 50% off on my PVR and digital box when I have had them free for years. I would have had to pay $100.00 a month for VIP cable, a HDPVR and an HD box. The best the would do is 50% off the boxes and 15% off the service. I cancelled. It feels good. now I know why they are dubbed 'Robbers' around here.

I guess I'll be getting an HD Antenna and watching shows online.
Aug 30, 2007
960 posts
15 upvotes
I got this through a local sales rep, $37 all in for Digital basic + 1 HD box + multicultural package. Got offered the Extreme + 300gb limit for $75 total but took a pass on the internet. Not good as some of the deals you guys got, but I couldnt even get a rep to transfer to customer relations.