Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Mar 23, 2009
26 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
dannyphones wrote: Here:
https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contact ... -a-concern
Use the manager live chat. If you sign into Rogers.com first you won't have to authenticate.
I went this route yesterday after a couple of unsuccessful attempts at getting a deal on the front line. I am a simple customer with simple needs. I have been with Rogers for 20ish years and own my own cable boxes. So all I needed is cable and internet. Also of note, I live in Ottawa so competition isn't as thick as it seems in the GTA.

After going through the hoops with the online lady, she told me that was the best I could get, bla, bla, bla, I told her I'd like to schedule a cancellation. She put me on a wait to "get that set up" and what do you know, she came back with an awesome offer. Or at least it is an offer I am happy with. I avoided the extra 10 hours of fighting with the next 4 levels or whatever of bureaucracy and more or less hit my goal.

Popular TV - $48 discount guaranteed for 2 years

Gigabit Internet - $89.99 discount guaranteed for 2 years.

Monthly bill - $109 taxes in.

Very minimal hassle.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
weekendplaya wrote: I went this route yesterday after a couple of unsuccessful attempts at getting a deal on the front line. I am a simple customer with simple needs. I have been with Rogers for 20ish years and own my own cable boxes. So all I needed is cable and internet. Also of note, I live in Ottawa so competition isn't as thick as it seems in the GTA.

After going through the hoops with the online lady, she told me that was the best I could get, bla, bla, bla, I told her I'd like to schedule a cancellation. She put me on a wait to "get that set up" and what do you know, she came back with an awesome offer. Or at least it is an offer I am happy with. I avoided the extra 10 hours of fighting with the next 4 levels or whatever of bureaucracy and more or less hit my goal.

Popular TV - $48 discount guaranteed for 2 years

Gigabit Internet - $89.99 discount guaranteed for 2 years.

Monthly bill - $109 taxes in.

Very minimal hassle.
Can you clarify? You pay $109 monthly but tv and internet is $48 and $89?
Mar 23, 2009
26 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
Kkhan15 wrote: Can you clarify? You pay $109 monthly but tv and internet is $48 and $89?
No - the discount on the services is $48 and $89.99, respectively. The caveat is that if those service prices change, my price will change. But based on current prices, my bill will be $109 monthly going forward.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
weekendplaya wrote: No - the discount on the services is $48 and $89.99, respectively. The caveat is that if those service prices change, my price will change. But based on current prices, my bill will be $109 monthly going forward.
Gotcha, about to negotiate for my parents which I'm on my 3rd attempt now and will use this link as well. Thanks for the info.
Mar 2, 2016
862 posts
1248 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote: This is thru the mgt office. I believe they are 1 level below OOTP - office of the president. There is no name of the plan that I'm aware of. You negotiate with them. They start with a base plan and add/subtract what fits for the user. The HF you cant get as that's grandfathered. Most include the basic $10 touch tone line and add money for each feature. Look at @100Pacer posts in this thread. He gives very detailed info on how to deal with the management office and OOTP. YMMV.

My advice:
-you must have tried retentions/loyalty, cancellation reps, etc to get quotes (noted with interaction id's) that you've tried to deal with varying levels and were blocked from getting good deals to match competitors
-you must have realistic competitor deals (suggest review BHELL's retention thread in this forum last few pages to get an idea)
-you should have another reason for calling in not just "get me the best price" to segway into getting a good deal. Show that an injustice was done to you. With me it was a poor customer service experience with a cancellation rep who tried to bait and switch me on a quote to seal a deal that was $50 higher than a retentions quote. Then claiming the original quote didnt exist (had the interaction id) and this was FINAL offer from robbers. Robbers mgt frowns on that.
-have a realistic price in mind that robbers can keep your business. Give too low a price for a basket of goods, they know ur lying. Give a price that's reasonable within 5-10 bucks, they can get there by adjusting credits.

As always... YMMV.
Thank you so much for the quick and detailed answer - this helps a lot. I've reached someone from the "management" level. I told him about the plan you described and he said that it doesn't exist - he can only offer me stuff that's on their website, plus a limited number of retention plans. I even told him that it's from a few days ago. Best he could offer me was $169 and change (after tax) for premier TV+US/Canadian news+Game show package+The Filipino Channel+2 HD boxes (this is for an elderly family member who lives with a caregiver, trying to help her since she's been overpaying a lot for years upon years) . That includes the "250" internet. I need to get a better plan for them. Going to try again. Maybe I'd have another edge at this if Bell has a good BF deal that I can leverage them with.
Koodo|Fido|Tangerine|EQ|AMEX|Plastiq|eBates|TopCashBack|Mr. Rebates|Great Canadian Rebates|RocketMiles
BRIM|AwardWallet|uber|Lyft|airBNB|uberEats|DoorDash|Skip the Dishes|Ritual
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Kkhan15 wrote:
Can you clarify? You pay $109 monthly but tv and internet is $48 and $89?
weekendplaya wrote: No - the discount on the services is $48 and $89.99, respectively. The caveat is that if those service prices change, my price will change. But based on current prices, my bill will be $109 monthly going forward.
Cmon guys... lol. Stop playing around. Take $109 less taxes is $96.46. Like I said the base package with win-backs is 500U, popular tv for $85. He upgraded the internet to GB so they basically added $10 for the option aka $95-96 bux. Point blank.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Mar 23, 2009
26 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
aznnorth wrote: Cmon guys... lol. Stop playing around. Take $109 less taxes is $96.46. Like I said the base package with win-backs is 500U, popular tv for $85. He upgraded the internet to GB so they basically added $10 for the option aka $95-96 bux. Point blank.
What are you saying? I got nothing? I never said I set some sort of high score. I said that I was content given the amount of work I put in. I haven't seen anything light years better than this posted on here. You got tips?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2397 posts
575 upvotes
PM - VK3Q69
left rogers for fido internet (50% off 1 year) and just got a call from rogers retentions.
29.99 for 500u or 39.99 1GB and 3 months free for one year. the guy found out i left rogers for fido and said the offer is no longer valid and hung up ....
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
o0vL wrote: left rogers for fido internet (50% off 1 year) and just got a call from rogers retentions.
29.99 for 500u or 39.99 1GB and 3 months free for one year. the guy found out i left rogers for fido and said the offer is no longer valid and hung up ....
Are you interested in the offer he made?

If so, I would escalate and have it honoured.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
100Pacer wrote: Are you interested in the offer he made?

If so, I would escalate and have it honoured.
But robbers has made it clear they never honor any deals from fido (obviously). Sounds like the kid made a mistake and didnt realize at first fido is under the same umbrella as robbers. Then realized and hung up.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
3130 posts
655 upvotes
Mississauga
aznnorth wrote: But robbers has made it clear they never honor any deals from fido (obviously). Sounds like the kid made a mistake and didnt realize at first fido is under the same umbrella as robbers. Then realized and hung up.
Interesting fact: ALL calls made to you (or calls you've made to them) are recorded. So, if in fact the kid "made the mistake," it's on record. Hanging up ain't gonna help him. All you need is the date and time of the call and you'll be able to use that to your advantage -- especially with all the bad press Robbers and company are getting these days. :)
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
^^^
Nice try... but in this case my bet is on rogers. Legally a contract is made up of an offer, an acceptance, and consideration. "Meeting of the minds" is said to occur. In this case it was just an offer... remaining conditions are not met. There is no deal. Plus, the fact the offer was mistakenly given. Also, I will tell you NOT every call is recorded like call centers make you believe. It's BS. Workers are recorded randomly... altho mgt can set a specific rep to be recorded if need be (coaching purposes, problem rep, etc.). The amount of memory needed if the 1000+ call reps are recorded for 8-10hrs every... single... day. Never happen. I know this cuz I worked in a major call center for a bank in university. I was talking to the guy in charge of the Toronto centers and he was giving me the low-down on how it works. Showing me the boards, systems, and shit.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
aznnorth wrote: But robbers has made it clear they never honor any deals from fido (obviously). Sounds like the kid made a mistake and didnt realize at first fido is under the same umbrella as robbers. Then realized and hung up.
I can think of several different approaches one could take to have the offer honoured. It just takes a little legwork if one was so inclined.

Simply hanging up on the customer changes nothing.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
100Pacer wrote: I can think of several different approaches one could take to have the offer honoured. It just takes a little legwork if one was so inclined.

Simply hanging up on the customer changes nothing.
Legally there is no deal, point blank. Whether you can get someone at mgt office or OOTP to bend over and basically go dumpster diving is a waste of time and desperation in this case. No different than seeing a sign at a candy shop saying 10 cents for a 100 candies. You go in and point to the poster. The store owner says sorry, the promo is over. I forgot to take it down. Same analogy. There was an offer but it was by mistake. Now majority like 99.9% will just say ohhh, ok. Maybe next time and walk out. Then there are dumpster divers who will bug the hell out of the guy and threaten him with a lawsuit if he doesnt over a measily 10 cents. Figure out which one are you. Like I said , legally there is no standing. I stick by that.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
aznnorth wrote: Legally there is no deal, point blank. Whether you can get someone at mgt office or OOTP to bend over and basically go dumpster diving is a waste of time and desperation in this case. No different than seeing a sign at a candy shop saying 10 cents for a 100 candies. You go in and point to the poster. The store owner says sorry, the promo is over. I forgot to take it down. Same analogy. There was an offer but it was by mistake. Now majority like 99.9% will just say ohhh, ok. Maybe next time and walk out. Then there are dumpster divers who will bug the hell out of the guy and threaten him with a lawsuit if he doesnt over a measily 10 cents. Figure out which one are you. Like I said , legally there is no standing. I stick by that.
I never seem to understand your analogies - perhaps it's a language barrier thing.

Regardless, I've never made an advisor do anything (short of having them admit for the record when we've determined a previous advisor was lying) and I've never gone "dumpster diving" with Rogers. You'd be surprised just how far a courteous tone and a little common sense will get you with certain advisors.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
100Pacer wrote: I never seem to understand your analogies - perhaps it's a language barrier thing.

Regardless, I've never made an advisor do anything (short of having them admit for the record when we've determined a previous advisor was lying) and I've never gone "dumpster diving" with Rogers. You'd be surprised just how far a courteous tone and a little common sense will get you with certain advisors.
Reading must be your language barrier. 3rd time to repeat. Robbers doesnt legally have to do anything in that scenario. Is that a hard statement to comprehend? Must be . *sigh* The condescending one appears to be you. #fact. Funny how you always brag about dealing with robbers in all your posts and all the deals you get yet I get the same/similar deals without the need of professorial degrading overtone to others. "Papa Knows Best." *welp*
Dec 17, 2015
385 posts
270 upvotes
Has anyone gotten a 500u promo price in the last two days? If so, how much? Having trouble getting via online chat..
Aug 5, 2015
43 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Spoke with Rogers again through FB chat today. Best they could offer was this:
Yes, the offer can be applied to the account for $49.99/month+tax for Ignite 500u or $59.99/month+tax for Ignite Gigabit. This would be the lowest pricing for both packages within your account.
I ended up going with the 500u plan as it was $18/month less than what I was paying for 150u.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
aznnorth wrote: Reading must be your language barrier. 3rd time to repeat. Robbers doesnt legally have to do anything in that scenario. Is that a hard statement to comprehend? Must be . *sigh* The condescending one appears to be you. #fact. Funny how you always brag about dealing with robbers in all your posts and all the deals you get yet I get the same/similar deals without the need of professorial degrading overtone to others. "Papa Knows Best." *welp*
I never stated Rogers were or are “legally” obligated to do anything - that was your assumption. I never bragged about any “deals” - that was your assumption. I’ve been sharing details as of late about best paths to escalation (I believe you posted your approval?) but if you believe this is some sort of competition about the pricing you receive vs what others have shared all the power to you - mind you the petty childishness is amusing. If you’re looking for adulation for the deal you secured consider it done. I simply assumed those who were at the end of their rope and getting the run around wanted some guidance on the path to least resistance in terms of best negotiation tactics. That’s why I’ve been posting the information I shared. Any pricing I shared was meant specifically for those on the grandfathered cable plans who were being told they didn’t have an option to continue promo pricing unless they abandoned old packages for new - I did my best to counter that marketing ploy. Still...if “Papa knows best” ignorance is bliss. I’m done acknowledging.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
six0four wrote: Has anyone gotten a 500u promo price in the last two days? If so, how much? Having trouble getting via online chat..
What’s your current pricing and status?

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 4 guests)

Steveei