Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Oct 24, 2016
54 posts
26 upvotes
s0l1dsn8k3 wrote: I'm kind of torn what to do.

I called retention a few days ago and was offered grandfather our VIP + 100u for $143 taxes incl, or $127 before tax. Compare to Premier + Gigabit, if I value TV more and not care about gigabit, then this would be a no brainier.

FYI, Gigabit is not a necessity at this point. However, what I'm really looking for is to save some money. My family only watches certain small list of channels and I've compared the channel listing between VIP/Popular/Premier. The only two channels that we want but Popular doesn't have by default are BNN and CNBC. CNBC is a "bonus" channel, but BNN is not. I'm considering if going for Popular + Gigabit + CNBC as bonus channel + BNN as a single channel addon ($4) for potentially $103+tax.

But at the same time, it feels like I'm giving up the best TV package still available to me that I will never get back.

By the way, does anyone know if the U63 is eligible to apply Better Choice Bundles discounts? I'm currently getting 12% off on the cellphone part of my bill and I would at least want to keep some form of that discount. I forgot to ask retention whether the bundle discount will apply to his offer. $20 savings from the TV+Internet package = $200/year, which is quite a bit. Without the extra discount on the cellphone portion, then it's just $10 savings or $100/year.

I'm kind of torn what to do.
I would go with the gigabit and popular and use the bonus channel for cnbc and add BNN for 4$ (didn't know a la carte was available now) although a theme pack with BNN is 5$ anyway. Go with something you can use for sure.. Like an extra 100 or 200 in your pocket every year.
Promo activator
Rogers Field Sales
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
I was finally able to get gb/vip package added. Together with my homefone will be $120 plus tax. 2 yrs deal. Will keep the exact same hf features I have now with the NA dialing, 5 features, etc for $19.99. What started as an escalation on an unrelated matter ended up with the manager asking me what could be done to keep my business and make me a continued satisfied customer at robbers. I automatically went into the U63 deals and the call went on from there. As other peeps said here, YMMV. People can still get these plans but it's based on scenario and manager's approval. I think lower level peeps are told on purpose NOT to give out these deals and pretend to act stupid when someone asks about them responding with "never heard of this" BS. Manager I spoke to was from the Vancouver call centre. For some reason Vanc centre tends to be way more friendly and customer oriented than other locations. At first he was gonna give me the $99 deal gb/premiere package but once we got started on bonus channels and how they are applied and what I could have/not have he said tell you what, I can give you gb/vip as it contains most of the bonus channels anyway and makes it easier. He said all these plans are under the U63 code. That's just a general code applied to all these plans. He will contact me this afternoon from the vanc. call centre once he gets a confirmation from operations area who puts the order through. He also said he will discuss about my wireless and said there's "some things" we can do there to lower the price or add more features. So apparently the inside line is that U63 does apply to existing customers but needs manager's approval and based on individual scenario. In my case it happened because of a complaint escalation. PITA that in order to get a good deal it has to be because of an incident that's happened. WTF..

However he agreed with me it is an unfair robbers policy that only new customers get the good deals and not long term existing customers. It's ridiculous. Long term customers are the ones that provide a continuous stream of income and add products over a period of time over the life of the customer. A customer may start off at 18yrs old with cable, then later on adds internet and wireless... then later the guy gets married adds another line, more cable boxes... then they have kids and adds more products. He said that's what mgt doesnt realize. You need to build on existing long term relationships and not newbie new gens who jump ship after 2 mos cuz their buddies find a deal for 5 bucs less. I think that played a part in the reasoning why he gave me the deal.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Jan 14, 2015
27 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Abz905 wrote: I would go with the gigabit and popular and use the bonus channel for cnbc and add BNN for 4$ (didn't know a la carte was available now) although a theme pack with BNN is 5$ anyway. Go with something you can use for sure.. Like an extra 100 or 200 in your pocket every year.
Not sure about a la carte availability as I didn't ask any rep. That's what it shows on the Rogers site.

Yes I will likely go with Gigabit + Popular and add those couple of channels. There are some channels in the current VIP package (which are only available in Premier) that I do occasionally flip to. However, ultimately I am trying to save money, not save those occasional channels.
Sep 21, 2015
526 posts
184 upvotes
London, ON
aznnorth wrote: However he agreed with me it is an unfair robbers policy that only new customers get the good deals and not long term existing customers. It's ridiculous. Long term customers are the ones that provide a continuous stream of income and add products over a period of time over the life of the customer. A customer may start off with cable, then add internet and wireless... then later guy gets married adds another line, more cable boxes... then they have kids and add more products. He said that's what mgt doesnt realize. You need to build on existing relationships and not newbie new gens who jump ship after 2 mos cuz their buddies find a deal for 5 bucs less. I think that played a part in the reasoning why he gave me the deal.
Something that call center 'manager' likely doesn't have any access to is the actual numbers themselves, which would be Rogers corporate accounting/management, not a customer facing department. I'm sure they've gone through the numbers, and this policy does result in the highest income. Their will be some churn yes, but how much? Is it being offset by the remaining customers paying the higher price? In that this is their policy, the answer to that would have to be that access to the raw data = this policy is better for the company.

As countless people have indicated through this thread, it is possible - It's just deliberately difficult / time consuming to convince you to give up.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17868 upvotes
GTA, ON
s0l1dsn8k3 wrote: I called retention a few days ago and was offered grandfather our VIP + 100u for $143 taxes incl, or $127 before tax. Compare to Premier + Gigabit, if I value TV more and not care about gigabit, then this would be a no brainier.
From the looks of it you been offered the following:

VIP: $61.99 ($70.05)
100u : $65 ($73.45)

s0l1dsn8k3 wrote: FYI, Gigabit is not a necessity at this point. However, what I'm really looking for is to save some money. My family only watches certain small list of channels and I've compared the channel listing between VIP/Popular/Premier. The only two channels that we want but Popular doesn't have by default are BNN and CNBC. CNBC is a "bonus" channel, but BNN is not. I'm considering if going for Popular + Gigabit + CNBC as bonus channel + BNN as a single channel addon ($4) for potentially $103+tax.
This looks like the best deal considering the channels you watch. If you truly only need BNN & CNBC as extra stations, then $103 ($116.39) makes sense.

Abz905 wrote: I would go with the gigabit and popular and use the bonus channel for cnbc and add BNN for 4$ (didn't know a la carte was available now) although a theme pack with BNN is 5$ anyway.
I agree.

An alternative is to see if they'll offer you the VIP as a stand-alone @ $61.99 and consider switching to another ISP.

FIDO deal:Fido for example is offering 60/10 unl with no contract/commitment for $60 with a $180 credit (promo ends tomorrow Jan 8th). Over a 24 month period that would be $53.36 ($60.30) making your total: $115.35 ($130.34).

$60 + tax = $67.80 x 24mth = $1627.20 - $180 = $1447.20 / 24 = $60.30 - tax = $53.36

This could be potentially less if you find another cheaper promo ISP and decide to jump ship before the 2yrs, as my numbers are based on 2yrs like Rogers 2yr contract offer. However, if you are committed to be with Rogers for 2yrs under contract, then yes, the $99 u63 + $4 BNN is the best deal.

There is another thread about a new ISP that's a wholesaler off Rogers cable, CarryTel, that's offering 100/10 unlimited for $40 and 30/5 unlimited for $35. Catch here is you have to buy their modem, plus they're pretty much new to cable internet, so take your chances.

Personally if my mother-in-law didn't insist on having the Cantonese station Fairchild I would take your offer u63 deal in a second. As it is, I was able to secure just VIP alone and went with Fido, thereby keeping Fairchild, SPACE for myself, & Disney Jr. for the kids. Sticking with Rogers for both VIP & internet would have cost me more. Popular & Gig (u63) would have lost me those channels, adding them back on would have cost me more than leaving. There is also a potential ISP price lowering later this year, so not being under contract gives me the ability to shop around.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Dec 19, 2016
352 posts
195 upvotes
s0l1dsn8k3 wrote: I'm kind of torn what to do.

I called retention a few days ago and was offered grandfather our VIP + 100u for $143 taxes incl, or $127 before tax. Compare to Premier + Gigabit, if I value TV more and not care about gigabit, then this would be a no brainier.

FYI, Gigabit is not a necessity at this point. However, what I'm really looking for is to save some money. My family only watches certain small list of channels and I've compared the channel listing between VIP/Popular/Premier. The only two channels that we want but Popular doesn't have by default are BNN and CNBC. CNBC is a "bonus" channel, but BNN is not. I'm considering if going for Popular + Gigabit + CNBC as bonus channel + BNN as a single channel addon ($4) for potentially $103+tax.

But at the same time, it feels like I'm giving up the best TV package still available to me that I will never get back.

By the way, does anyone know if the U63 is eligible to apply Better Choice Bundles discounts? I'm currently getting 12% off on the cellphone part of my bill and I would at least want to keep some form of that discount. I forgot to ask retention whether the bundle discount will apply to his offer. $20 savings from the TV+Internet package = $200/year, which is quite a bit. Without the extra discount on the cellphone portion, then it's just $10 savings or $100/year.

I'm kind of torn what to do.

U63 is not eligible for Better Choice Bundle Discounts, Thats a grandfathered discount promotion and you can never get it back on once you take a new promotion.
Lead Generator Rogers Field Sales
Dec 19, 2016
352 posts
195 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: I was finally able to get gb/vip package added. Together with my homefone will be $120 plus tax. 2 yrs deal. Will keep the exact same hf features I have now with the NA dialing, 5 features, etc for $19.99. What started as an escalation on an unrelated matter ended up with the manager asking me what could be done to keep my business and make me a continued satisfied customer at robbers. I automatically went into the U63 deals and the call went on from there. As other peeps said here, YMMV. People can still get these plans but it's based on scenario and manager's approval. I think lower level peeps are told on purpose NOT to give out these deals and pretend to act stupid when someone asks about them responding with "never heard of this" BS. Manager I spoke to was from the Vancouver call centre. For some reason Vanc centre tends to be way more friendly and customer oriented than other locations. At first he was gonna give me the $99 deal gb/premiere package but once we got started on bonus channels and how they are applied and what I could have/not have he said tell you what, I can give you gb/vip as it contains most of the bonus channels anyway and makes it easier. He said all these plans are under the U63 code. That's just a general code applied to all these plans. He will contact me this afternoon from the vanc. call centre once he gets a confirmation from operations area who puts the order through. He also said he will discuss about my wireless and said there's "some things" we can do there to lower the price or add more features. So apparently the inside line is that U63 does apply to existing customers but needs manager's approval and based on individual scenario. In my case it happened because of a complaint escalation. PITA that in order to get a good deal it has to be because of an incident that's happened. WTF..

However he agreed with me it is an unfair robbers policy that only new customers get the good deals and not long term existing customers. It's ridiculous. Long term customers are the ones that provide a continuous stream of income and add products over a period of time over the life of the customer. A customer may start off at 18yrs old with cable, then later on adds internet and wireless... then later the guy gets married adds another line, more cable boxes... then they have kids and adds more products. He said that's what mgt doesnt realize. You need to build on existing long term relationships and not newbie new gens who jump ship after 2 mos cuz their buddies find a deal for 5 bucs less. I think that played a part in the reasoning why he gave me the deal.
Correct as I said earlier in the thread (Although it was deleted)

U63 can be applied to everyone. It requires a retention manager approval or customer care manager approval.
The issue is, the person that updated the code for Field Sales removed postal codes limits, BUT they did NOT do that for the managers in other departments. Hence this luck of the draw situation youre getting. Also it doesnt help that the internal code is not U63 when they correct your account so sometimes you can be asking for a code they literally dont use in the situation to rectify the account.
Jan 14, 2015
27 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Olkams wrote: U63 is not eligible for Better Choice Bundle Discounts, Thats a grandfathered discount promotion and you can never get it back on once you take a new promotion.
But if I were to take the original offer VIP+100u, then I can keep the Bundle discount?
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2008
1655 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
If i call the regular sales line and get offered 100u for 69.99 does that mean i have to wait 5 days to try again? Or should i jsut threaten to cancel and be done with it.

I was hopping to get 100u for 60$ but might have to settle for fidos offer of 60 for 60/10 for 2 years.

*looks like i gotta make a decision today as that fido promo ends tmrw.
Dec 19, 2016
352 posts
195 upvotes
s0l1dsn8k3 wrote: But if I were to take the original offer VIP+100u, then I can keep the Bundle discount?
Hmm, this is uncommon (theyre supposed to try and get people off the grandfathered but kudos for getting it offered) I would think no still. I believe the new code for Ignite 100u (the actual service code) is not listed to work with Better choice bundle.

I would advise ask them VERY CLEARLY will this remove my better choice bundle or keep it.

I would think not. In this situation I could be wrong and Id like to hear your resolution if you take it. Ask them very clearly.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
Olkams wrote: Hmm, this is uncommon (theyre supposed to try and get people off the grandfathered but kudos for getting it offered) I would think no still. I believe the new code for Ignite 100u (the actual service code) is not listed to work with Better choice bundle.

I would advise ask them VERY CLEARLY will this remove my better choice bundle or keep it.

I would think not. In this situation I could be wrong and Id like to hear your resolution if you take it. Ask them very clearly.
I was told it isn't either.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
1221 posts
293 upvotes
Oshawa
To update my situation it seems all Rogers is going to do is credit me the two months of extra cost on the 4K boxes, and bring it up with the district manager of my local store to ensure they let customers know there are HD and 4K boxes with different price points. I guess it was too much to hope they'd override the system and put the $5 pricing on the boxes for their mistake.

So I have a technician coming on Tuesday morning to swap out one box (my mom wants to keep the 4K box for her Haier TV and she'll pay me the difference), they'll setup the Whole Home PVR service and swap out my current modem for the the new Gigabit one (no clue if there are reported issues with it, but I'm only getting 150-300Mbps down and 15-27Mbps up so compared to 800+/45 in Bradford).

Rogers really goes out of their way to inconvenience customers when they make mistakes rather than just shrug off $16+tax in rental charges. As was mentioned a few pages back it couldn't hurt to see if the technician would just leave the 4K boxes as is and adjust it in the system like must have been the case during my initial install.
Dec 19, 2016
352 posts
195 upvotes
venividivici wrote: To update my situation it seems all Rogers is going to do is credit me the two months of extra cost on the 4K boxes, and bring it up with the district manager of my local store to ensure they let customers know there are HD and 4K boxes with different price points. I guess it was too much to hope they'd override the system and put the $5 pricing on the boxes for their mistake.

So I have a technician coming on Tuesday morning to swap out one box (my mom wants to keep the 4K box for her Haier TV and she'll pay me the difference), they'll setup the Whole Home PVR service and swap out my current modem for the the new Gigabit one (no clue if there are reported issues with it, but I'm only getting 150-300Mbps down and 15-27Mbps up so compared to 800+/45 in Bradford).

Rogers really goes out of their way to inconvenience customers when they make mistakes rather than just shrug off $16+tax in rental charges. As was mentioned a few pages back it couldn't hurt to see if the technician would just leave the 4K boxes as is and adjust it in the system like must have been the case during my initial install.

Technicians have that power, give it a try.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17868 upvotes
GTA, ON
venividivici wrote: To update my situation it seems all Rogers is going to do is credit me the two months of extra cost on the 4K boxes, and bring it up with the district manager of my local store to ensure they let customers know there are HD and 4K boxes with different price points. I guess it was too much to hope they'd override the system and put the $5 pricing on the boxes for their mistake.
Don't think that's an isolated incident; I was at my local store the other day to exchange my NB3 and they told me that there was no price difference between the HD and 4K boxes.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jan 6, 2017
1 posts
I know it's off topic but I hate that new customers are offered a 4k tv. While I'm at $400 a month with 4 services. Would retention give me one if I told them I'd cancel!??
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Olkams wrote: U63 is not eligible for Better Choice Bundle Discounts, Thats a grandfathered discount promotion and you can never get it back on once you take a new promotion.
Wh-what?? So are you saying if you get a U63, 2 yr promotion (ie. GB/VIP promo) you no longer get the multi-product discount?? I have wireless with rogers. Does that mean I lose the 12% on the cell phone for having 4 services total??
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1463 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga
I've tried twice now to get u63 on the phone as a new customer - cancelled my services as of December 28 due to a move - with no luck. Also tried at the Rogers corporate store at Square One yesterday and was again told that U63 expired as of December 31. Any suggestions as to how to stlli get this deal ?
:arrow:
Car Dealer not honouring the warranty on a new vehicle? See this thread
Dec 19, 2016
352 posts
195 upvotes
impailer17 wrote: I've tried twice now to get u63 on the phone as a new customer - cancelled my services as of December 28 due to a move - with no luck. Also tried at the Rogers corporate store at Square One yesterday and was again told that U63 expired as of December 31. Any suggestions as to how to stlli get this deal ?
Only field sales reps can give it to you.
Dec 19, 2016
352 posts
195 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: Wh-what?? So are you saying if you get a U63, 2 yr promotion (ie. GB/VIP promo) you no longer get the multi-product discount?? I have wireless with rogers. Does that mean I lose the 12% on the cell phone for having 4 services total??
You lose the better Choice Bundle discount.

There maybe a new discount for having wireless service + TV and Int but youd have to contact the call center for that. They would know about cross product discounts.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
impailer17 wrote: I've tried twice now to get u63 on the phone as a new customer - cancelled my services as of December 28 due to a move - with no luck. Also tried at the Rogers corporate store at Square One yesterday and was again told that U63 expired as of December 31. Any suggestions as to how silli get this deal ?
Special circumstances. Has to be approved by a manager based on individual scenarios. Read through the thread. My example was series of unrelated bad customer incidences (has to be evidence, notes from prev reps, transaction id's, etc) and on top of that a concierge rep mislead me that she could put the U63 on just needed a manager's approval and would call me back next day guaranteed. Gave a ref id number. She never did call back (after I left 2 messages) and the ref id number was BLANK - left zero notes, no quotes, nothing - when checked by a manager. They tracked the call. I was basically duped. Escalated and had it put on. Manager said it's done and confirmation s/b emailed to me tomorrow and I can pick up GB modem.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)