Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread!

Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4940 posts
2463 upvotes
Northside
DaveProductions wrote: Hey man, anything to get a great deal! (I'm kidding). My building hasn't had a hint of field sales, well other than a home security pamphlet which is why I went with retentions. I would totally agree that the Ignite 500 deal is a MUCH better value, however that extra 10mbps in upload speed (and hopefully 50 mbps upload one day if Rogers ever implements DOCSIS 3.1 upstream gr....) is worth it to me, since I've been moving everything to the cloud. Even shaving an additional 50% off my upload time means a lot to me.

As for the technical aspects, I would also definitely agree with you (maybe you should join us on DSLReports ;)). If Bell offered anything close to the Rogers pricing, I would definitely stay on my 300/100 plan (Bell Res Fibre is also asymmetrical, up to 100mbps upload). Guess I'll find out about congestion when I get it installed. All of my computers in my home are modern, but even then I agree with you I am concerned about any NIC limitations, along with some servers just not being able to provide a gigabit download connection. Im also definitely not using the trash CODA WiFI, and even in bridge mode I know it has its issues, but thats what the CommunityForum trial is for. I would definitely recommend an installer visit for everyone, although hopefully its not a contractor haha. In my experience though, my building has pretty good signal levels, especially since the power levels in condos/apartments are through the roof from the wall.



Haha, very funny. Don't remind me how my username was a bad choice 5 years ago. Agree with you on that part, if you have a field sales advisor definitely reach out to the one geared for your building first.
To install gigabit service everywhere in Toronto under Bell is just way too costly and the infrastructure just isn't there. They've already been very slow in rolling out fibe services in certain areas and in addition, fiber to the home which is even more limited. I'm not going to lie to you, Bell FTTH is an insaneeeeeeee technology. A couple of my family members have it when they moved in to their new build and they're extremely happy.
Member
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Well, Rogers is also slowly rolling fiber to their street boxes. But getting Gigabit to home through existing coax is definitely way cheaper for them. Sadly its often reported to be limited real life speed, more like a marketing term, compare to Rogers Speed Test server. Probably the traffic goes through common Rogers infrastructure mixing all kind of plans into one traffic from the area, and applying QoS to somehow prioritize it. Large file download speeds may shock you, they can be maxed at 5-10 times lower than your sub limit. Some folks also need high upload, and the upload speed is limited but quite stable in my observations. Still the gap exists btw Speed Test and real life file uploads.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4940 posts
2463 upvotes
Northside
New promo alert (again, postal code specific):

Popular TV
Gigabit Internet
Local Home Phone
1 HDPVR
1 Gigabit Modem Rental

$99.99 + hst/month for 12 months price guaranteed.
One time $14.95 activation fee.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4940 posts
2463 upvotes
Northside
zamar81 wrote: Well, Rogers is also slowly rolling fiber to their street boxes. But getting Gigabit to home through existing coax is definitely way cheaper for them. Sadly its often reported to be limited real life speed, more like a marketing term, compare to Rogers Speed Test server. Probably the traffic goes through common Rogers infrastructure mixing all kind of plans into one traffic from the area, and applying QoS to somehow prioritize it. Large file download speeds may shock you, they can be maxed at 5-10 times lower than your sub limit. Some folks also need high upload, and the upload speed is limited but quite stable in my observations. Still the gap exists btw Speed Test and real life file uploads.
which is what i meant
Sr. Member
Sep 13, 2012
930 posts
501 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Recently brought down 150u to $65.00 as part of our home services but was planning on phoning retention dept for additional credits. Currently receiving maximum discount on internet so was offered $7.50+HST towards the HD terminal rental for 12 months. However this would have meant abandoning Digital VIP which I'm not prepared to do. Management office was able to circumvent the issue and provided a lump sum credit of $90+HST to cover 12 months' worth of HD terminal rental fees. Will check back over the next month or two just in case more can be done.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4940 posts
2463 upvotes
Northside
100Pacer wrote: Recently brought down 150u to $65.00 as part of our home services but was planning on phoning retention dept for additional credits. Currently receiving maximum discount on internet so was offered $7.50+HST towards the HD terminal rental for 12 months. However this would have meant abandoning Digital VIP which I'm not prepared to do. Management office was able to circumvent the issue and provided a lump sum credit of $90+HST to cover 12 months' worth of HD terminal rental fees. Will check back over the next month or two just in case more can be done.
Glad you're abiding by your signature Face With Tears Of Joy (Don't get mad...escalate & get credits.™)
Member
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
I think specific postal code questions should be asked only in PM. They are private in nature, and really pollute this topic, which is already hard to follow since all Rogers promos are mixed up in one topic.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4940 posts
2463 upvotes
Northside
zamar81 wrote: I think specific postal code questions should be asked only in PM. They are private in nature, and really pollute this topic, which is already hard to follow since all Rogers promos are mixed up in one topic.
woahh 'newbie' coming down hard lol Face With Tears Of Joy ...i like it!
Member
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
There is no "newbie" definition in RFD forum rules. Winking Face You asked to close other specific Rogers threads, despite there is no forum rule to lock all one company deals to only one thread, and it results in mess. So its only logical for me to ask keep this common thread clean of private info that is not allowed on the forum anyway. Pls share such private info in PMs. There are 36 mln people living in Canada, and most subscribe to internet. Imaging if everyone of them will post their postal code here in a public thread set to discuss content of various Rogers deals?
Last edited by zamar81 on Oct 30th, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4940 posts
2463 upvotes
Northside
zamar81 wrote: There is no "newbie" definition in RFD forum rules. Winking Face You asked to close other specific Rogers threads, despite there is no forum rule to lock all one company deals to only one thread, and it results in mess. So its only logical for me to ask keep this common thread clean of private info that is not allowed on the forum anyway.
Didn't mean to offend you, pal...it was just a joke. I didn't ask any thread to be locked lol, I just redirected others to this thread because it was already being discussed.

There is no mess as this thread has been open for years and majority of RFD'ers have benefited from. Whether you start a Bell or Rogers thread, everyone will get redirected to the 'on going discussion' sooner than later. It is the members responsibility to scroll back a couple of pages and find out the info..starting a new thread is bogus and a waste.

People have been asking if they qualify for deals since the inception of this thread, not sure why it bothers you so much? lol

Secondly, asking everyone to PM you on every other post is against the rules. They can read the first page of the thread as every deal and promo is also listed.

Again, my apologies if you took offense to my previous post,
Member
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
zaidyboy wrote: People have been asking if they qualify for deals since the inception of this thread
Generic deal rules are posted usually once, there may be details clarified later, but not private user info such a person address or postal codes (which is the same for large blds), it violates rules and infinitely pollutes this already very hard to comprehend thread. You can look at Cannet, Carrytel and most other popular internet provider deals as they discuss each new deal in a separate thread, while expired deals threads are closed. Also, no-one is posting personal data in any forum threads I read so far, its privacy law violation to allow such data posted in public, and encourage it by ongoing replies.
Last edited by zamar81 on Oct 30th, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4940 posts
2463 upvotes
Northside
zamar81 wrote: Generic deal rules are posted usually once, there may be details clarified later, but not private user info such as personal postal codes, it violates rules and infinitely pollutes this already very hard to comprehend thread. You can look at Cannet, Carrytel and most other internet provider deals as they discuss each new deal in a separate thread, while expired deals threads are closed. Also, no-one is posting personal data in any forum threads I read so far, its privacy law violation to allow such data posted in public, and encourage it by ongoing replies.
fair enough
Newbie
Jan 17, 2015
42 posts
9 upvotes
Gloucester, ON
I am currently renegotiating my cable-internet deal with Rogers. My two-year deal expires in December. For my internet I currently have: Ignite30 internet 125GB at 46.99 (with free TechXpert Whole Home value of - $14.99) and Ignite Bundle discount of ( savings of - $28.00). So total savings of -$42.99 on internet. Total cost for internet is $46.99. As for cable TV, I had Digital VIP package at $81.99 with the Ignite Bundle discount (-$33) and Netbox 3 free rental for two years (-$24.95/mo.). That combined with a News Theme Pack at $6.99 and Customer Choice Package (what's that?) at 2.79 for a total of $61.37 before tax.
I tried to make it simple and ask for an extension of the above discounts and the free PVR rental for an additional two years with no penalty for a cancellation at any time. The rep responded that Rogers does not offer those packages any more but would be glad to show me what current promotions they are offering. I responded that I wanted my proposal escalated to their customer retention agent for their review instead. The rep said he would do that and I am waiting for their response.
I think my proposal is fair and reasonable and Rogers is trying to squeeze me like a lemon since they know my free PVR rental is over soon and my bundle discounts too. They get $114.37 a month from me right now before taxes and that will go up to $225.70 if I do nothing. I told them they have to make changes or I am switching providers and added that their service has been poor and the competition will gladly discuss options with me if they don't.
I am waiting for their response.
Has anyone else had any luck in dealing with Rogers on a similar situation. Anyone care to comment?

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

RenegadeX, sunflower123