Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread!

Jun 25, 2017
740 posts
344 upvotes
greygables wrote: Are you a knew customer? earlier on this page an rfder and several others were getting $79.99 but were returning customers so no Master card...
I’m a new customer
Jun 25, 2017
740 posts
344 upvotes
SeeNonRuns wrote: great deal, how did you get this offer?
Through chat .... the only thing I’m thinking about is if I realllllly need cable or not .... I have a fire stick soooo...only thing with the fire stick it’s not as convenient ( no guide on what are on the channels)
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
2959 posts
14015 upvotes
Any thoughts on this offer.

My brother was offered as a new customer.

Ignite Internet 500u
Popular Tv package with 3 boxes
Home phone
$250 Rogers MC gift card
No contract
$130 all in, with taxes.

$29 Courier fee for equipment. They drop it off. Self installation.
Nov 24, 2016
28 posts
7 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: They used to have a link on the "Share a Concern" page where you can send a message to the Office of the President. But now the only links I see are Live Chat, Facebook & Twitter. Is it still possible to send an email/message to the OOTP if you're unhappy about the service or the package?
You can ask to escalate to OOTP but they have gotten ride of the more direct link.
Jan 4, 2008
602 posts
312 upvotes
Mississauga
Based on everyone switching, I dont suppose anyone would care for the old HDPVR (non 4k, not a Nextbox either) or old HD box (non pvr) to buy? I was told Rogers doesn't take those ones back so I'm stuck with them right now.

If not...do these boxes serve any purpose at all? Can I even access the hard drive anymore to watch my old recordings?
Jan 21, 2017
336 posts
234 upvotes
Does Business Internet have similar offers and if not, does the winback offer apply if I was to switch to Residential Internet (home business)?
Nov 30, 2018
84 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I am a current customer with Rogers for their 500GB/s internet service and my promo was set to expire at the end of this month. So I played the RFD game via chat by asking the rep to cancel my service at the end of this month. Reason I gave: I got an offer from Bell for the Gigabit Fibe internet for $45/month. The initial agent counter-offered with $59.99+tax but I said no, please cancel. She then transferred me to a senior agent who eventually gave me the $52.99+tax for the Gigabit Ignite, good for 12 months. The entire chat took about 30 minutes with the bulk of it waiting for the senior agent to start chatting to me. FYI, I live in area where there is no Bell Fibe.
Dec 13, 2015
3 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
HI,
Looking for a Rogers rep, my Cable/Internet services are expiring in a few days, looking for a deal if possible. Would a Rogers rep please PM me. thanks

Postal code M6E
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7028 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dxbender wrote: Based on everyone switching, I dont suppose anyone would care for the old HDPVR (non 4k, not a Nextbox either) or old HD box (non pvr) to buy? I was told Rogers doesn't take those ones back so I'm stuck with them right now.

If not...do these boxes serve any purpose at all? Can I even access the hard drive anymore to watch my old recordings?
Which boxes are these? The 8300 PVR or the 8642? (The 8642 was sold as a normal PVR, then got the new software and was retroactively rebranded Nextbox 2.0, but older units don't say Nextbox)? The 4250HD or the 4642HD non-PVR?

My sense is that the market for any of those is going to be extremely limited. The 4642 is probably the most useful of the four because it's the newest non-4K non-PVR box, supports the current software (badly), WHPVR, etc. And it doesn't have a hard drive that's going to break and might be PATA, so hard to source a replacement in 2020 (I forget when Cisco/SA moved from PATA to SATA)

You can't access the hard drive if the PVR box is not enabled on the network, no... so once you migrate to Ignite, that's it.
Jan 4, 2008
602 posts
312 upvotes
Mississauga
VivienM wrote: Which boxes are these? The 8300 PVR or the 8642? (The 8642 was sold as a normal PVR, then got the new software and was retroactively rebranded Nextbox 2.0, but older units don't say Nextbox)? The 4250HD or the 4642HD non-PVR?

My sense is that the market for any of those is going to be extremely limited. The 4642 is probably the most useful of the four because it's the newest non-4K non-PVR box, supports the current software (badly), WHPVR, etc. And it doesn't have a hard drive that's going to break and might be PATA, so hard to source a replacement in 2020 (I forget when Cisco/SA moved from PATA to SATA)

You can't access the hard drive if the PVR box is not enabled on the network, no... so once you migrate to Ignite, that's it.
8300 and 4250.
Mar 29, 2018
16 posts
7 upvotes
I did the same in July as my previous promotion was ending and they offered me $49.99 for Gigabit. I would caution anyone upgrading to gigabit however. Their infrastructure, support staff and equipment don't seem able to handle the speeds. My speed on ethernet drops to 200mbps every month or two for about a week at a time. They don't tell anyone regarding any outages or issues in their area and it takes over 2 weeks to get it fixed and back up to normal speeds each time.
Mar 29, 2018
16 posts
7 upvotes
Would also recommend to stay with the 500mbps service by Rogers. When I had that, I was regularly getting 700mbps but the minute I switched to gigabit, the service was unstable and speeds were 800mbps so not much more difference.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7028 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dxbender wrote: 8300 and 4250.
Oh dear. These are good for the museum if you ask me... though the fact that Rogers never (AFAIK) deployed MPEG4 means they've had a much longer lifespan than one might have expected in 2007 or so.

(I am trying to remember when I got my 8300; I think it was fall 2007)
Jan 4, 2008
602 posts
312 upvotes
Mississauga
VivienM wrote: Oh dear. These are good for the museum if you ask me... though the fact that Rogers never (AFAIK) deployed MPEG4 means they've had a much longer lifespan than one might have expected in 2007 or so.

(I am trying to remember when I got my 8300; I think it was fall 2007)
I know nobody probably wants it, but if anyone even wanted to offer anything, it's better than nothing.

Can they just be thrown away in the regular trash or does it have to be disposed of a diff way?
Last edited by dxbender on Dec 14th, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7028 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dxbender wrote: I know nobody probably wants it, but if anyone even wanted to offer anything, it's better than nothing.

Can they just be thrown away in the regular trash or does it have to be disposed of a diff way?
Oh, sure, and I would suggest posting an ad in the usual places in case someone does want it. It's unlikely but you never know...

I would presume they should be treated like any other e-waste. Pre-covid world, I would probably have dropped them off at Worst Buy's e-waste collection...
Jan 4, 2008
602 posts
312 upvotes
Mississauga
VivienM wrote: Oh, sure, and I would suggest posting an ad in the usual places in case someone does want it. It's unlikely but you never know...

I would presume they should be treated like any other e-waste. Pre-covid world, I would probably have dropped them off at Worst Buy's e-waste collection...
On those sites people want like $30+ for them lol. I figure if mine is much lower, someone might see it and think it's a deal.

I got my 8300 box thanks to this site (I think it's the reason I joined rfd). There was a clearance on refurbished boxes, and I got one. Somehow it had warranty on it so I exchanged it once it broke for one that worked. In the end, the shelf life of the box vs the price I paid to buy it had me paying an average of $1 a month for it lol.

Too bad theres nowhere to dispose of them. If I simply put it in the garbage bin, maybe they'll just dump it in the truck?
Jul 26, 2008
14 posts
3 upvotes
Markham
Rogers Homephone + Internet user is looking for a rep in L3P area.

Thank you very much!
Mar 9, 2009
43 posts
50 upvotes
Ottawa
What's the Rogers windback telephone #. I used to be a Rogers Internet customer but cancelled last summer. Now I am moving again, the Bell 1GB isn't offered at the new place.
Nov 18, 2008
96 posts
24 upvotes
Thornhill
Apologies if this is the wrong forum but I'm at my wits end.

Rogers says there is congestion in my area and will take months to fix so we're left with choppy internet while we're all trying to do school and zoom meetings. The Bell fibe speed sucks in my street. Is there any other option? I thought of fido or virgin internet but isn't that still cable/ dsl? Any options for affordable cellular internet at decent speeds? (not looking for much, just enough for 5 devices on zoom simultaneously)??

thanks in anticipation
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2179 posts
1433 upvotes
Toronto
Live chatted and they offered ~$59 taxes in for gigabit. My plan didn't end until Feb, which I was paying $48 for 500u, and he offered the discount to activate afterwards but I didn't want to deal with hassle of them messing up and having to haggle at whatever discounts they'd have in 2 months.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

multilex90, Adubsthoughts