Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread!

Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1796 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
So I called Rogers today about an ongoing internet issue.

Rogers: Do you have Ignite?

Me: Yes

Rogers: I'm not seeing Ignite on your account.

Me: I'm looking at my account online. It says I have Ignite Internet Gigabit Unlimited

Rogers: What does your modem look like?

Me: It's a big white box.

Rogers: Ok, so you don't have Ignite, that's the legacy modem.

Me: WTF....

My account says I have ignite. So apparently I'm paying $200/month for legacy + 3 cable tv boxes? When did Rogers make this change?
Jan 24, 2013
20 posts
2 upvotes
these were prices before tax, if your current promo is expiring, put in a future date cancellation and wait for ambassadors team to call, forgot to mention that the package includes 3 wifi extender pods as well
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6987 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto, ON
chowder wrote: So I called Rogers today about an ongoing internet issue.

Rogers: Do you have Ignite?

Me: Yes

Rogers: I'm not seeing Ignite on your account.

Me: I'm looking at my account online. It says I have Ignite Internet Gigabit Unlimited

Rogers: What does your modem look like?

Me: It's a big white box.

Rogers: Ok, so you don't have Ignite, that's the legacy modem.

Me: WTF....

My account says I have ignite. So apparently I'm paying $200/month for legacy + 3 cable tv boxes? When did Rogers make this change?
Rogers uses the word "Ignite" for two very different things:
- "Ignite Internet", which has been offered in the legacy billing system with the Hitron CGN3-family modems and the white CODA-4582 and replaced the previous branding for their Internet, I think it was the Hybrid Fibre X branding, or did they have another name between Hybrid Fibre and Ignite? (before Hybrid Fibre X, it was Hi-Speed Internet Express/Extreme/Ultimate/etc), and
- "Ignite TV", which is the IPTV platform on the Comcastic billing system with the black gateways, the tiny IP-based TV boxes, the lousier home phone, etc.
(I believe it is now possible to get "Ignite Internet" without the TV portion on the Comcastic billing system, in which case you get the black Comcastic gateway as well. This is a relatively new development, before then all standalone Internet customers were on the legacy billing platform)

You are on the legacy billing system, as you have to be to have the "cable" TV boxes, with a recent gigabit Internet plan and the white modem that exists in that environment.
Sep 27, 2008
795 posts
575 upvotes
mrobertson56 wrote: Got a great deal through Rogers online chat ... took a few tries, and over the course of a few days (supposedly the promos change every day) but ended up getting 150u for $49.99/mo for 12 months. Sticker price is 99.99. So just keep plugging away is my advice.
How is that a good deal when fido is offering that for $37.50 per month: https://www.fido.ca/promotions/internet ... FDC_OCEZTH