Rogers cable TV/ Internet cancellation woes

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2019 9:26 am
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
123 posts
15 upvotes

Rogers cable TV/ Internet cancellation woes

I called Rogers yesterday ~6pm to find out why there were so many price increases ($3x2 per service in Feb then another $3 in Oct for internet), then said I wanted to cancel.
The call to the first rep took 15 min then he forwarded me to cancellation which took another 20 min then the rookie on the other line made me wait while his training coach was listening in to the training call, then offered me a lesser service for $120 (huh?), so I said I want to cancel then he said OK let me forward you to my supervisor??
By that time 55 min had elapsed and I lost the signal since I was in my parking garage by that time.

Is there an easier way to get hold of cancellation or retentions at Rogers, either by calling at a different time, or online chatting?
22 replies
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
44 posts
13 upvotes
I don’t think you can cancel through chat. I tried doing that with my wireless service but couldn’t and had to call and wait and then go back and forth with the rep and listen to their lowball offers until it finally got cancelled.
Jan 12, 2017
554 posts
200 upvotes
I had to return the modem in person at a Rogers store, got a receipt for the modem to do a cancellation that took close to 2 hours in the store (hours spend on the phone previously) in mid of a paid month. 4 months later I get a call from Rogers asking me to pay my delinquent bill of a huge amount, I explained not only did I cancel service, but turned in the modem and his response was I should fax the image of the receipt to a New Brunswick # or it was going to collections! I said fine, we'll see you in front of a judge, in a later call a few days later; Rogers decided to extend a courtesy a one time exemption, at which point I asked for a refund my remaining month; the reply was that's a different department.

No more Rogers, ever!

P.S. they sent me as a 5 year former customer a consolation letter a few years later offering me a cheap lappy to re-join. BTW: previous messages about Rogeres billing, had me ask for that receipt; be-aware.

Teksavvy has been a dream to deal with.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8288 posts
2912 upvotes
Maple
This is why I am with Teksavvy internet, even I pay more. I would avoid Rogers and Bell if I can, no more headaches.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1609 posts
1675 upvotes
Cancelling with rogers cable was a pain. My story was I called in initially wanting a discount. They said there is no discounts available. After a couple of days I figured it wasn't worth it paying close to 80 bucks a month just for cable so.. I called in asking for cancellation department and the guy was like what if I offer you a different plan, I was like tried it nothing will work lets not waste my time. He proceeds to offer me different packages I'm like what part of I tried it did you not understand? He then sends me to the "cancellation department". They try to pull of the same shit. What if I offer you a different package sir. I'm like, no there is no package that you can offer me that works (there really wasn't I had a bunch of those converters like 5 of them in the house and they were rent free because it was a grandfathered plan). Anyways the rep then proceeds to offer me discounts HA. She goes like what if I offer you 10% off the year. I'm like you see if this was a couple of days ago I would have gladly taken this offer but its too late when I called asking for a discount you guys wouldn't give me one and now I have decided to cancel the ship has sailed. Then she says what about 20%. (Not going to lie I was super tempted) But at this point I just had too much pride to take the offer. After a lot more time wasting she decides to proceed with the cancellation. Days later they call me sir I realize you cancelled your rogers cable subscription and you were with rogers for 16 years. What was your reason for cancelling. I just told them it was too expensive. They offered me 50% off???? And i asked if this was a 1 year thing he was like yes but afterwards you can just call back every year and we will give you a discount. You can already guess what I was feeling. Basically told the winback guy my story. He then says fine we can make the discount life time... I paused I really was going to agree but then because I have been without cable tv for awhile and realize I am perfectly fine without it. I declined. I am probably never going back to rogers cable television again.
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
123 posts
15 upvotes
Wow, so I'm not the only one who wasted my time on the phone. I used to think Bell was the only one who did this but now I realize that this tactic of theirs to stall by making you wait on the phone to cancel, is the only way they will minimize cancellations.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3006 posts
560 upvotes
Pickering
It's becoming a normal practice these days to pull this crap off just to make it harder for people to cancel services, took myself a good 2 hours to cancel Rogers not too long ago due to same reason and yup they tried charging me for service after the fact, another round of calls...

They must teach this to there CS, let's waste as much time of there's and hang up when they get frustrated!
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15915 posts
2549 upvotes
Look, Rogers discounts have always been a game with Retentions. Don't waste time with any other department, just call and choose 'cancel a service' in the prompts.

But be prepared to cancel and await the Winback. Sometimes they'll give you what you want up front, but it's been more difficult lately. If you live in an area with Bell FTTH, you have more leverage.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5352 posts
4428 upvotes
leafsnation98765 wrote: I called Rogers yesterday ~6pm to find out why there were so many price increases ($3x2 per service in Feb then another $3 in Oct for internet), then said I wanted to cancel.
The call to the first rep took 15 min then he forwarded me to cancellation which took another 20 min then the rookie on the other line made me wait while his training coach was listening in to the training call, then offered me a lesser service for $120 (huh?), so I said I want to cancel then he said OK let me forward you to my supervisor??
By that time 55 min had elapsed and I lost the signal since I was in my parking garage by that time.

Is there an easier way to get hold of cancellation or retentions at Rogers, either by calling at a different time, or online chatting?
Just do it on FB chat. Easiest
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5352 posts
4428 upvotes
faridf wrote: I don’t think you can cancel through chat. I tried doing that with my wireless service but couldn’t and had to call and wait and then go back and forth with the rep and listen to their lowball offers until it finally got cancelled.
I've cancelled through FB chat
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5352 posts
4428 upvotes
teoconca wrote: This is why I am with Teksavvy internet, even I pay more. I would avoid Rogers and Bell if I can, no more headaches.
Tekscammy is even longer wait and not even option of chat as they're always unavailable and definitely can't cancel via FB chat with tekscam or complain why their rates are so high
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8288 posts
2912 upvotes
Maple
StatsGuy wrote: Tekscammy is even longer wait and not even option of chat as they're always unavailable and definitely can't cancel via FB chat with tekscam or complain why their rates are so high
I had called few times to TSI Customer Support and Tech Support without any long crazy wait time like Rogers and Bell. As matter of fact, they were nice and helpful. Tech Support was very helpful. I have been with TSI 10 years. They don’t have chat, but they have call back service, they called back in an hour. I don’t experience any bad things you mentioned.
Aug 1, 2018
106 posts
72 upvotes
S/W, Ontario
Here's what happened to me on Rogers ignite 150... I signed up for Ignite 150 at $35 for 12 months on December 7 2018.
Here's what they did, between February and April this year they Raised my Rates by $10.. No heads up nothing.... Late July I get a letter from them Apologising and letting me know they would credit my account...

I call them up and Cancel my Account. 24 hours later I get a call from Retentios saying they were sorry and offered me Ignite Gigabit for $45 for 12 months and Starter Package with Crave and 4K HD Box for $9.50 Tx in On-going for as long as I'd like...
You have to Fight these idiots tooth N Nail and Play their Stupid Game...
Jan 22, 2015
594 posts
640 upvotes
N/A
All I wanted was a $50 package of internet all included except taxes. Sure, I was told, we can do that. I asked if it included the modem and was told yes it did. Fine I said that'll do. First bill and they had a charge for a modem rental. Call them up and they said we never said we would include the modem rental. Fine, I said, cancel my service.

Haven't looked back and never will. Booted Bell similarly some years ago over a kerfuffle about landline charges. The incumbents can bite my noodle.
Jan 15, 2009
467 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
I cancelled my grandfathered cable TV earlier in the year and was kept on the phone for over 30 minutes as well. At first they were just trying to find current deals/promos that could get me to stay, then when they couldn't find anything, they transferred me to another department to cancel it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7064 posts
1396 upvotes
Scarborough
Lolz

You tell them you leaving the country fir good, going forever and that you’ve wiped out all your money in crap
Name some 3rd world poor country you gojng to so that they cant offer anything at all haha

Thats how we did it and it worked haha no need for lengthy shitty talk to robellus.

Now with start for several years of peaceful internet service

Actually when we cancel anything thats the only excuse we have: leaving the counyyry for long time etc due to bankruptcy haha
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
123 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks, does anyone know who to use for wifi instead of Bell and Rogers? I think Teksavvy costs a bit more so I'd prefer not to use them.
If I wanted NBA games on TV (since Oct NBA season is around the corner, what service would I need from Rogers? Or would I be able to get that from an antenna? Thanks)
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1161 posts
1198 upvotes
Toronto
These companies have outsourced a lot of the in house jobs to places like the Philippines and that's what the OP probably went through. Really poor quality service from that side and sad to see the lost jobs here replaced by that. I can only suggest the OP try to go through the French que since that will connect to someone here in Canada and maybe they can treat his call.