Shopping Discussion

Rogers Calling to Bring Me Back to Rogers - Scam?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2020 6:54 pm
[OP]
Apr 10, 2006
96 posts
5 upvotes

Rogers Calling to Bring Me Back to Rogers - Scam?

Hello all,

I received a call last night from someone claiming to be Rogers, he knew my first name and said he was calling to bring me back as a Rogers customer. I was with Rogers for a long time up until a year and half ago. He offered me a plan that was so good, that I got suspicious.

He offered for 2 lines:

Unlimited Canada wide calling, texting etc
10 Gb of shared data for both lines
$500 bill credit
with purchase of 2 phones at 2 year Tab price on website

All for $95 plus tax

I told him I would call him back and he left the number 1-855-293-3747. (this number was on call display too)

I called the rogers mainline on the website to check if this was a real Rogers number. They could not confirm, as they said there are many call centres and 3rd party vendors across the country. They also could not confirm if that deal was real, but they said it was unlikely.

Has anyone had experience with this? Is it a scam?

Thanks
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5585 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
quiksilver_blue wrote: Hello all,

I received a call last night from someone claiming to be Rogers, he knew my first name and said he was calling to bring me back as a Rogers customer. I was with Rogers for a long time up until a year and half ago. He offered me a plan that was so good, that I got suspicious.

He offered for 2 lines:

Unlimited Canada wide calling, texting etc
10 Gb of shared data for both lines
$500 bill credit
with purchase of 2 phones at 2 year Tab price on website

All for $95 plus tax

I told him I would call him back and he left the number 1-855-293-3747. (this number was on call display too)

I called the rogers mainline on the website to check if this was a real Rogers number. They could not confirm, as they said there are many call centres and 3rd party vendors across the country. They also could not confirm if that deal was real, but they said it was unlikely.

Has anyone had experience with this? Is it a scam?

Thanks
So it is a 2 year contract. 10gb plan for 2 phonelines at $95 + you buy 2 phones on tab. So the cost depending on the phone. Iphone 8 = 929 on tab so $38 on top of your 95 and if you get 2 it will be a 76.

So 10gb plan for 2 phones with 2 iphone 8s = $171/m = 4100 for 2 years.

Seems like a regular deal. The $500 credit will drop it to $3600 which is good.

Doesnt seem very scammy.
Jul 8, 2009
661 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
quiksilver_blue wrote: I called the rogers mainline on the website to check if this was a real Rogers number. They could not confirm, as they said there are many call centres and 3rd party vendors across the country. They also could not confirm if that deal was real, but they said it was unlikely.
Why are companies allowed to be this incompetent? This is one of the (many) reasons why "corporations are people" doesn't fly. If an ordinary person was asked, "Hey, did you call me an hour ago? Is this your phone number?" and responded, "Gee, I dunno, I did a lot of stuff today", you'd rightly consider that person to be either suffering from some kind of mental handicap or maybe taking drugs. Yet it's par for the course with large companies where the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. What a joke.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3497 posts
1262 upvotes
Woodbridge
Mercury048 wrote: Why are companies allowed to be this incompetent? This is one of the (many) reasons why "corporations are people" doesn't fly. If an ordinary person was asked, "Hey, did you call me an hour ago? Is this your phone number?" and responded, "Gee, I dunno, I did a lot of stuff today", you'd rightly consider that person to be either suffering from some kind of mental handicap or maybe taking drugs. Yet it's par for the course with large companies where the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. What a joke.
Sure - introduce me to an ordinary person who provides telecom services, television and radio broadcasting, publishing etc. to millions of people nationwide and I'll agree that you make a good analogy.

OP - are there certain phones that qualify? Depending on which phones you buy, it's a decent deal, but certainly not something that is too good to be true.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4348 upvotes
Here's incompetence for you:

Years ago a Robbers rep knocked at my door trying to get me to switch. She told me to my face that mine was the ONLY house on the street that doesn't use their services. I walked her out to the sidewalk, showed her that over half the houses on my street have satellite dishes on the roof (any of Bell, Shaw, FTA, or grey market American product like Dish or DirecTV -- this was well before Fibe came to market). She had no answer....

So, ignoring this, she tries to make me a TV offer. "I can give you all these channels (circling a bunch of network logos on a brochure, but not all) for this price (circling a price)." I ask, "is this forever or a promotional where i get locked into a higher price for 3 more years?" She ignored the question (since of course it's a contract and of course it's a promo) and tried to get me to agree. So I pull out my sharpie to mark up her sheet MY way and said "Guess what, I get ALL the channels on that piece of paper for $20 less than that price...not a promo either. Have a nice day!" This time she finally left.

This is one of many reasons why I refuse to do business with that company.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Feb 24th, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2651 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
If you check the retensions thread, there's a department called the winback department which basically offers you deals after you cancel.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2006
96 posts
5 upvotes
jvnanu wrote: Sure - introduce me to an ordinary person who provides telecom services, television and radio broadcasting, publishing etc. to millions of people nationwide and I'll agree that you make a good analogy.

OP - are there certain phones that qualify? Depending on which phones you buy, it's a decent deal, but certainly not something that is too good to be true.
the guy said any phone at the 2 year tab price on the website

the plan itself doesn't seem too scammy, but the rogers ppl in the mainline said the $500 bill credit is very unlikey, max they ever saw was $200
Sep 17, 2017
88 posts
32 upvotes
hvwozq wrote: Rogers does this everytime. They give you good offers only after you leave them. Still better than Bell and TELUS though. They don't give you anything good ever.
Lol. Does that count as excellent customer retention skills? I think that's sloppy
Nov 26, 2015
842 posts
596 upvotes
Ontario
hvwozq wrote: Rogers does this everytime. They give you good offers only after you leave them. Still better than Bell and TELUS though. They don't give you anything good ever.
Rogers offers to me was NONE for 8+ years of not moving. Rogers offer to my brother has always been "ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Or just stupid;" when saying what you just said deals. (Sarcastically)

Deals are usually just pay $30 to $50 more per month and get ONE more GB and NHL access. We even got one where it was like pay $55 more per month and get 4GB LESS but get NHL access.

Now a days it seems the best offers are BYOP subscription roulette. Not available to current subscribers BUT competition offers the same and so people just keep shuffling.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6438 posts
1092 upvotes
quiksilver_blue wrote: I called the rogers mainline on the website to check if this was a real Rogers number. They could not confirm, as they said there are many call centres and 3rd party vendors across the country. They also could not confirm if that deal was real, but they said it was unlikely.
Rogers should have a centralized computer system for all of it's customers where, if anyone from any call center calls any customer for any reason the call is logged on their system and the nature of any offer made is keyed in. Then if the customer calls back, any employee at any call center should be able to look up the previous contact and know exactly what was offered and take over dealing with the customer. The fact that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing makes me wonder what companies really do with the computers they supposedly have.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16842 posts
3995 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt that very much. Rogers is a very good company...at least until my current contract runs out :twisted:
When I go to renew anything cable, cell or internet I bet it will be a bad deal at that point...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16842 posts
3995 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Robbers anything is a scam...
Rogers is a very good company...at least until April when my contract runs out. :twisted:
Who knows what new deals I'll get?
I'm a long time customer and very glad to be one.
I also never feel ripped off. (so far...)
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4348 upvotes

And more to the point, did she give me any good reason to switch? She wasn't giving me a deal. What she was saying was "Oh, so you're paying $100 a month? How about you pay us $120 for LESS service (and after 3 months it goes up to $200 and you're locked in for 2 years)"
Last edited by MrDisco on Feb 28th, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was removed
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16842 posts
3995 upvotes
Toronto
I don't really care about that. I care about my bill and the customer service I actually get.
So far, so good. They are treating me like gold...at least until my current contract runs out.
You'd think they'd want to keep me, so maybe I'll still be treated good...who knows?
If the new bill in April ends up being too high I might have to make some changes somewhere...hopefully not.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Feb 28th, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5718 posts
1948 upvotes
Space
If you guys think Rogers is bad, switch to Bell. That’s when it gets real bad. I can’t complain too much about Rogers. I get some amazing deals on my internet, tv and wireless. Bell loyalty dept is a joke comparably.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20173 posts
4726 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Solsearchin1 wrote: If you guys think Rogers is bad, switch to Bell. That’s when it gets real bad. I can’t complain too much about Rogers. I get some amazing deals on my internet, tv and wireless. Bell loyalty dept is a joke comparably.
While I believe that Bell is undoubtedly the Worst Company in Canada, I think their retentions are pretty creative.
For example, after switching out of Bell telephone, they send me a real postcard in the mail. This is an actual postcard, in a postcard sized envelope, with my name handwritten in ink and a real physical stamp stuck to it. No branding or connection to Bell on the outside of the envelope. It really looked like someone had handwritten and mailed me a postcard.

Of course it was just an invitation to come back to Bell. If only they actually put this much energy and creativity into their customer service for existing customers, maybe they would not have to put so much effort into retentions.

I would rather connect 2 tin cans together with twine and use that as a telephone, before I signed up for any Bell service.
- casual gastronomist -