• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2013 10:46 pm
[OP]
Feb 3, 2010
123 posts
19 upvotes
Calgary

Rogers Calling to "Review My Account"

I just got a call from Rogers to review my account. The call was at first a machine that said wait for the next available representative. Curious, I waited and was immediately contact by a rep who said that I just upgraded my phone (new iPhone last week) and she wanted to review my account. I asked why they wanted to do this and she said they wanted to make sure I wasn't going over on any of my services.

I have a retentions plan that I think is quite fair so I didn't want them reviewing it and then saying the price was "too low" or "we shouldn't have offered you that". So I politely declined the review because it sounded fishy.

Anyone else getting these calls? What are they all about?
16 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
600 upvotes
Toronto
Paranoid much?
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
May 2, 2010
354 posts
234 upvotes
HowEver wrote: It's a sales call. By a third party. Ignore it if you want to.
It is true, I got one too a few weeks ago. Told them not to call back and hung up as quickly as possible.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2010
123 posts
19 upvotes
Calgary
This is Rogers we're talking about. Have you ever gotten a call from one of the Big 3 that was actually something GOOD?

Also, I didn't want my account audited.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
600 upvotes
Toronto
Corrode wrote: This is Rogers we're talking about. Have you ever gotten a call from one of the Big 3 that was actually something GOOD?

Also, I didn't want my account audited.
If you're scared of doing business with your service provider, I would suggest you find a new one.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2013
1310 posts
554 upvotes
Markham
I got one maybe last week. They kept offering me additional stuff even when I said I like what I already have. Whatev, that's there job.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16027 posts
392 upvotes
They like to call me and offer an even more expensive plan than what I'm having. "Wow, you used a lot of minutes every month (even though the minutes used were after 6PM and unlimited). Why don't you get this plan for $20 more, so you'll have more minutes. "
[OP]
Feb 3, 2010
123 posts
19 upvotes
Calgary
LostInTruth wrote: If you're scared of doing business with your service provider, I would suggest you find a new one.
Thanks for the advice, internet guy! I've been a customer with Rogers for a long time. Every 3 years I call them, negotiate my plan and phone, and then don't talk to them again for another three.

Also, do you want to open up the whole conversation about WHO I should be switching to? I guess because there are so many great telcos out there that are willing to bend over backwards for my business, it should be easy, right?

If you're not here to offer anything helpful, don't post.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2012
1143 posts
214 upvotes
I had this on my telus plan when I was with them, they just want you to go on their promotional plan or whatever is in market.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
600 upvotes
Toronto
Corrode wrote: Thanks for the advice, internet guy! I've been a customer with Rogers for a long time. Every 3 years I call them, negotiate my plan and phone, and then don't talk to them again for another three.

Also, do you want to open up the whole conversation about WHO I should be switching to? I guess because there are so many great telcos out there that are willing to bend over backwards for my business, it should be easy, right?

If you're not here to offer anything helpful, don't post.
You posted on a public forum, you got a response, cry me a river. Why are you scared to answer a call from the business you deal with? If it's a sales call, answer the phone, and politely asked to be removed. Done
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22293 posts
3156 upvotes
LostInTruth wrote: If you're scared of doing business with your service provider, I would suggest you find a new one.
How can the call end in a customer friendly way? Unless Rogers is offering more credits or free service- I wouldn't waste my time.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
600 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: How can the call end in a customer friendly way? Unless Rogers is offering more credits or free service- I wouldn't waste my time.
What if there was fraud on your account? Not every call can nor should end in credits or free service. Sometimes, just a friendly chat should suffice.

I still think it's silly, because if your credits expire and you start to get billed, then you'll call Rogers and start complaining, when this could have all been prevented. Unless you are committing a scam, I see no reason not to answer; even if to answer and politely tell them you're not interested or else they'll just keep calling anyhow.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22293 posts
3156 upvotes
LostInTruth wrote: What if there was fraud on your account? Not every call can nor should end in credits or free service. Sometimes, just a friendly chat should suffice.

I still think it's silly, because if your credits expire and you start to get billed, then you'll call Rogers and start complaining, when this could have all been prevented. Unless you are committing a scam, I see no reason not to answer; even if to answer and politely tell them you're not interested or else they'll just keep calling anyhow.
The rep made it clear it was a sales call, "not going over any of your services." A simple pull can produce a lead list of anyone who has gone over 30 min in the last 3 months, these are the people they should be targeting.

If there was fraud on my account they can leave a voicemail stating such and I will call back. I know when my credits expire and will call at a time that is convenient and beneficial to me (both in terms of my schedule and the availability of deals).

The OPs concerns are entirely justified. I had a similar experience where a rep called to "review" my phone upgrade experience, and I lost my credits because they violated the new business rules. The bottomline is that the less people looking at my account the better.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10866 posts
3065 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
I take the calls. Can't hurt and might get better. They called a couple weeks ago when I was visiting my mom (Rogers home services) and even though I'd negotiated a decent package for them a few months ago, when asked if there was anything they felt would improve their service, I suggested a few more features. So they upgraded their home package, from an already low price.

There's no harm in taking the call, especially if it's for wireless. If they try to remove credits they agreed to, you are released from your contract. Mention that and they'll almost never remove the credits...otherwise you walk away with your phone contract free.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
600 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: The rep made it clear it was a sales call, "not going over any of your services." A simple pull can produce a lead list of anyone who has gone over 30 min in the last 3 months, these are the people they should be targeting.

If there was fraud on my account they can leave a voicemail stating such and I will call back. I know when my credits expire and will call at a time that is convenient and beneficial to me (both in terms of my schedule and the availability of deals).

The OPs concerns are entirely justified. I had a similar experience where a rep called to "review" my phone upgrade experience, and I lost my credits because they violated the new business rules. The bottomline is that the less people looking at my account the better.
No offense, but the rep probably did not pitch his sale well if he stated right off the bat it's a sale call. This is really a non-issue and not worth debating over. So answer the call, don't answer the call, but what's the point of posting on RFD about this? We are not Rogers, maybe you should answer the call and find out.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22293 posts
3156 upvotes
LostInTruth wrote: No offense, but the rep probably did not pitch his sale well if he stated right off the bat it's a sale call. This is really a non-issue and not worth debating over. So answer the call, don't answer the call, but what's the point of posting on RFD about this? We are not Rogers, maybe you should answer the call and find out.
Rogers is not going to dedicate call center hours to non-revenue activities, if they can help it.